PDA

View Full Version : New string job needed?

Offshore
10-19-2007, 06:14 AM
Quick question....my wife has been out of action for a little over a year due to injury and she has had a freshly strung racquet in the closet during that time. It was strung in the summer or fall of last year and maybe hit with once or twice. Should she cut out the strings and get a new string job because of the length of time since the stringing?

shojun25
10-19-2007, 06:17 AM
Was she dissatisfied when she played with it?

An easy way to know that the string lost a lot of tension is push the on the bottom mains (below the last cross) to see if there is dramatical tension lost. Then get another racquet that have close to fresh strings and compare those two. If you believe that the string is still usable, play with them until your wife is starting to feel a great increase in power.

bmichaelia
10-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Suggest she get back into playing for a while before restringing. Strings shouldn't have lost much, since they were stored well.

Some people play for years with the same strings (although they probably just keep adjusting to the changes in the strings, not that the strings haven't changed).:)

kirbster123
10-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Shojun,

the longer strings stay in a racquet, dosent mean they gain that much power. They lose resilliency aswell which leads to a loss of power aswell.

LPShanet
10-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Shojun,

the longer strings stay in a racquet, dosent mean they gain that much power. They lose resilliency aswell which leads to a loss of power aswell.

Yes. The USRSA suggests that you restring as many times in a year as you play in a week, but a minimum of every 6 months. Then again, it's in their best interest to get you to restring your racquet. Strings do lose resiliency and elasticity over time, so give the racquet a try and if it feels crummy, get it restrung. Depending on her level, she may or may not notice it.

BTW, what string/tension was in it?

Offshore
10-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Yes. The USRSA suggests that you restring as many times in a year as you play in a week, but a minimum of every 6 months. Then again, it's in their best interest to get you to restring your racquet. Strings do lose resiliency and elasticity over time, so give the racquet a try and if it feels crummy, get it restrung. Depending on her level, she may or may not notice it.

BTW, what string/tension was in it?

Thanks for all of the input. She starts back this weekend with some hitting so she will definitely give the old strings a try to see how they feel (I'm actually interested to see how strings play after a year in the closet:-? ). I know the original post was kind of basic "just try the racquet" stuff...but your points are well taken. BTW, the racquet is an 18 x 20 strung with BiPhase 18g at 60 lbs. about a year ago.

volusiano
10-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Let me tell you something I tried. I have an ERT300 which is a device to measure stringbed stiffness in DT values. Generally if you string with higher tensions, the DT values are higher (as high as 56), and if you string with lower tensions, the DT values are lower (as low as 28 ).

Also, as you play, your stringbed starts losing tension and you can observe the DT values go lower and lower over time. The ERT300 manual says that if your reading is below 28, you should really restring because the string is too loose now and it's not good to play with stringbed below 28.

So I have a couple of 30+ year old rackets still with strings on them. So I measure them on the ERT300 anyway for fun, and the readings were 25 and 26. I also have 4 other rackets, not as old, but at least a couple of years old, if not older, and they measure 28, 30, 30 and 30.

Well, I also have a 9 month old racket I use a lot (close to 80 hours of play now), and its current reading is also 30 (original reading was 35).

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make here is that based on the data I gathered with my DT readings on some very old rackets I have, the advice some of the posters gave you here is pretty sound. My data say that the tension is not lost that fast in a year time frame, especially if the racket has been sitting in the closet all this time and not played with.

Have her try it first and if she's still happy with how it feels. If it feels good enough, I wouldn't restring unless she becomes unhappy with it later on.