PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 player needs help with power

three eights
10-19-2007, 06:38 AM
I'm fine tuning my strokes and currently use LM Radical. However i feel like i need to hit hard and with proper technique almost every time to make it a "winning" shot.

I've noticed last night that other more seasoned players then myself have simpler strokes that bounce more... (possibly a more powered racquet?). Anyways... it got me thinknig maybe i'm wasting my time with a low powered racquet..... i don't know.. i'm confused.
I also have a PDC which i don't like because of its power and lack of control.

gerikoh
10-19-2007, 06:45 AM
minimize your spin for the meantime and practice at the baseline, then go for a lot of full backswings too. you should practice your overheads too.

keithchircop
10-19-2007, 06:56 AM
I'm fine tuningmy strokes and currently use LM Radical. However i feel like i need to hit hard and with proper technique almost every time to make it a "winning" shot.

I've noticed last night that other more seasoned players then myself have simpler strokes that bounce more... (possibly a more powered racquet?). Anyways... it got me thinknig maybe i'm wasting my time with a low powered racquet..... i don't know.. i'm confused.
I also have a PDC which i don't like because of its power and lack of control.

The more advanced players hit hard and with proper technique just like you, actually more often than you. They make it seem effortless but they're concentrating on every shot. Not all players grunt like Nadal to show the world they're working hard out there. Their shots bounce more because they know how to apply more topspin than you do. Seasoned players are seasoned, they don't use magical racquets.

Also, I wouldn't call the LM Radical low-powered. Its power is between a mid and a PDC. So it's definitely not a racquet problem.

threed
10-19-2007, 07:26 AM
What's is your string setup ?
Try different string setups with a lower tension. This can increase the power enough.

fuzz nation
10-19-2007, 07:44 AM
Try not to place too much blame on your racquet - I've owned that one and I also know a few guys with monster games beyond mine who use it, too. If you swing it well, I think it makes plenty of power.

What I will say of the LM Radical is that I had to work rather hard to make a lot of spin with it compared to a few others that I've tried. It will spin the ball plenty, but some other frames seem to have spin potential that's easier to tap into if that's what you're looking for. That Babolat that you tried obviously has a ton of gas, but you might want something that makes a little more spin over raw power so that you can hit away, yet keep the ball on the court. You might want to sample a frame with an open string pattern, more flex, etc. to see how that works for you, but keep after your technique. A racquet can't fix a flawed swing, but the right fit is a wonderful thing.

Possibilities include the Dunlop 300 series, the middleweight Tecnifibres, Fischer, and maybe the Volkl DNX 9. Take your time, do some homework, and try a demo here and there. You might find a good frame for you, but you might also find just how much you like the one you already have.

sureshs
10-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Try lower tensions and gut. Gut gives you a lot of extra depth (often confused with power).

three eights
10-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Just to clerify, i'm not blaming the racquet in this thread - I blame myself. Maybe i'm trying TOO hard to play well i've lost the simplicity of the game.... my forehand did not feel right yesterday and that scares me because i'm afraid i don't have the proper basics i might not develop my technique properly in the future.

I'll try lowering the tension. I also bought a slightly lighter racquet with lesser swing weight then the LM Rad to help me work on my strokes more. I think i just had one of those days when you think everyone plays better then you.

By the way, is it just me or did you notice then when you watch other players from the sideline their game looks far superior then when you're in the game yourself? (something like taking off in an airplane VS watching it take off).

keithchircop
10-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Gut gives you a lot of extra depth (often confused with power).

What do you mean?

meowmix
10-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Never played with gut, but I'm guessing he's saying that some rackets will give you a ton of power (ex. babolat PD), but with others you can take a not very large swing and get it deep in the court.

sdslyout
10-20-2007, 10:02 PM
It's okay to check out other racquets, there are zillions of them and most are great racquets . Some are crap . I say hit with as many different racquets you may run across , it doesn't hurt anything to test drive ' em . Now , enough about racquets it's not your racquet..... want to know what it is ? it's you.
It's called FOCUS, apply it and see what happens. Try it !!

Seifersquall1
10-24-2007, 08:08 AM
Reduce the spin and swing your racquet faster.

eagle
10-24-2007, 08:24 AM
Without seeing how you prepare and hit the ball, it's difficult to say exactly what might be going wrong with your stroke. You might end up mistakenly changing something that is not the problem.

It would help if you could post a video, that way folks can better assess and make qualitative recommendations.

Just a thought.

Thanks,
eagle

galatti
10-24-2007, 12:02 PM
By the way, is it just me or did you notice then when you watch other players from the sideline their game looks far superior then when you're in the game yourself? (something like taking off in an airplane VS watching it take off).

I think that's a common felling.

grass_hopper
10-24-2007, 12:04 PM
try the new microgel radical team, more power and same feel.