PDA

View Full Version : K Gut Pro 17 vs Prince Syn Gut w/ Duraflex

tennismaster888
10-19-2007, 06:20 AM
I have pretty bad elbow problems and i was using PHT. i know thats a big no no for elbow problems so i switched to kgut pro 17. i really like the string its just really expensive =[. Will i notice that much of a difference in playability and armfriendliness if i switch to prince syn gut w/duraflex?? the thought of saving 18 dollars is really nice :D. Im around a 4.5-5 player.

Valjean
10-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Yes, you will. Mainly it will be due to the increased impact shock you will get. Duraflex is kevlar.

shojun25
10-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Duraflex is kevlar.

Any proof to back this up? I'm curious because I just heard about it just now.

Back to the OP... yes, there will be a dramatic change. K Gut has a more solid feel, while PSGD has a more crisp feel. K Gut holds its tension better as well. Lastly, K Gut is more comfortable and powerful than PSGD. However, PSGD is still a great all-around string.

tennismaster888
10-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Yes, you will. Mainly it will be due to the increased impact shock you will get. Duraflex is kevlar.

Any proof to back this up? I'm curious because I just heard about it just now.

Back to the OP... yes, there will be a dramatic change. K Gut has a more solid feel, while PSGD has a more crisp feel. K Gut holds its tension better as well. Lastly, K Gut is more comfortable and powerful than PSGD. However, PSGD is still a great all-around string.

is kgut pro more arm friendly than syn guts?? and out of the following which plays the best??

Babolat Super Fine Play
Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament
Prince Synthetic Gut w/ duraflex
Prince Original Synthetic Gut
Wilson Extreme Synthetic Gut
(or any cheaper string)

sry for so many questions and thanks for all your help :p

Drona
10-20-2007, 02:52 AM
I have not played w/ KGut Pro so cannot help w/ comparison.
I liked Babolat Super Fine Play the best out of the strings you listed.

However, I did not consider it a soft string. My rec. for elbow pain
is either natural gut (Wilson/Pacific) even as a hybrid, followed by Pro Supex Maxim Touch 17, followed by Technifibre nrg2/x1.

I just started stringing myself so I'm skittish bout Gut, but use MaximTouch 17 from a reel. It is very soft.

PBODY99
10-20-2007, 03:32 AM
I have pretty bad elbow problems and i was using PHT. i know thats a big no no for elbow problems so i switched to kgut pro 17. i really like the string its just really expensive =[. Will i notice that much of a difference in playability and armfriendliness if i switch to prince syn gut w/duraflex?? the thought of saving 18 dollars is really nice :D. Im around a 4.5-5 player.
PSG has a wrap of a kevlar (aramid) type material for increased durability. Try a hybird of the Multi with a SG cross of your choice to get a string bed that is soft and not as costly. I hope you are not a chronic string breaker.

Valjean
10-20-2007, 03:52 AM
is kgut pro more arm friendly than syn guts?? and out of the following which plays the best??

Babolat Super Fine Play
(or any cheaper string)....
Oh, Prince's Synthetic Gut Multifilament does, when you have an arm problem. However, I wouldn't try and change to a hardier string before you are healed. And, if your problem is as significant as "pretty bad" usually signifies, you should probably cut back on, even abandon play entirely, until it heals up.

barry
10-20-2007, 05:37 AM

Babolat Super Fine Play
(or any cheaper string)

sry for so many questions and thanks for all your help :p

Babolat Super Fine Play is very soft, try the 17 gauge it will help your arm. I tried both the Prince strings, and use Super Fine Play, it is softer and easier on the joints.

tennismaster888
10-20-2007, 07:09 AM
I have not played w/ KGut Pro so cannot help w/ comparison.
I liked Babolat Super Fine Play the best out of the strings you listed.

However, I did not consider it a soft string. My rec. for elbow pain
is either natural gut (Wilson/Pacific) even as a hybrid, followed by Pro Supex Maxim Touch 17, followed by Technifibre nrg2/x1.

I just started stringing myself so I'm skittish bout Gut, but use MaximTouch 17 from a reel. It is very soft.

the problem is that i dont have that kind of money because im still saving and deciding on a stringer so i need a cheaper string so that i dont spend 40 dollars at a pro shop. If babolat wasn't a soft string in your opinion, which cheaper strings were?

PSG has a wrap of a kevlar (aramid) type material for increased durability. Try a hybird of the Multi with a SG cross of your choice to get a string bed that is soft and not as costly. I hope you are not a chronic string breaker.

man thats a great idea but my frikkin pro shop doesn't let me do hybrids :(
but im not that much of a string breaker so if you have any other suggestions id love to hear them =]

Oh, Prince's Synthetic Gut Multifilament does, when you have an arm problem. However, I wouldn't try and change to a hardier string before you are healed. And, if your problem is as significant as "pretty bad" usually signifies, you should probably cut back on, even abandon play entirely, until it heals up.

well heres the situation;
9 months ago or so i played the greatest match of my life with TE against a kid top 3 in my section and i almost won (i lost 4 and 5). but i was in sooo much pain i almost cried for days lmao so i took off like 4 months and it was prob 95% healed. But i was playing so bad when i came back so i got ****ed and took 2 more months off. So ive been playing for three months again now and i realized the problem might have been the poly i was using so i switched to kgut pro 17. While using the kgut my elbow hasn't hurt (unfortunately enough im never fully healed now i have a mysterious neck problem). so i dont need a completely arm friendly string...just one that wont bring back my TE.

Babolat Super Fine Play is very soft, try the 17 gauge it will help your arm. I tried both the Prince strings, and use Super Fine Play, it is softer and easier on the joints.

sweet thanks for the advice. Is 17 gauge really more helpful on the joints? and does the string (16 or 17 g) shred?? thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all your advice everyone!! :p :) :D

Valjean
10-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Well, I would use Prince's Synthetic Gut Multifilament now, then, and if your TE returns, come back in.

barry
10-20-2007, 09:39 AM
sweet thanks for the advice. Is 17 gauge really more helpful on the joints? and does the string (16 or 17 g) shred?? thanks.

Thanks for all your advice everyone!! :p :) :D

I find the 17 is not as stiff as 16. I was using a soft poly, switched to PSGD which was still stiff, then to Super fine play. For me the super fine play solved the sore shoulder and I can play singles 4 times a week.

shojun25
10-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Babolat Super Fine Play
(or any cheaper string)

You can compare K Gut to NXT Tour, except K Gut has better durability and a more solid feel. The closest to K Gut in your list would be PSGM, next would be PSG original. IMO Babolat's Super Fine Play is too mushy to come close to K Gut. Wilson Extreme loses its tensioin REALLY fast. PSGD has a crispier feel.

tennismaster888
10-20-2007, 01:04 PM
Well, I would use Prince's Synthetic Gut Multifilament now, then, and if your TE returns, come back in.

come back in?

EDIT: ive decided i dont feel that much of a difference between different strings so is PSGD or Babolat Super Fine Play more arm friendly? srry for being so confusing!!