PDA

View Full Version : Need Help On Choosing String

jturpin4
10-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Hey everyone. I think I have finally decided on getting the Prince 03 Hybrid Shark OS. Now on to the strings. I have been using Wilson Sensation 16 at 58 pounds for about all my tennis playing life lol. One thing that really, really, gets annoying is string movement. I hate having to straighten up my strings in between points because they are so messed up! I am not a big string breaker. I usually get my racquets re-strung about 3 or 4 times per year and rarely, rarely, break a string. Another thing that I like about a string is the feel. Is there a string out there that has minimal to no string movement and has great feel and holds tension well and good on durability? I know that's alot to ask in a string lol. I am a 3.5 tournament player. I have never tried polyester yet but I have read alot about them on the boards here.

downdaline
10-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Well before u start looking at poly, u could try inserting some string savers first. Some ppl have found them to help resist movement in addition to extending string life. U might wanna give it a shot.

But if u're dead set on a new string, i'll recommend the softer polys for u. Stuff like Polyfibre TCS, Signum Pro Poly Plasma, Topspin Cyberflash, Topspin Cyberpower, Pro Supex Big Ace. From experience, the Cyberflash and Poly Plasma have almost no string movement and hold tension the best.

If u can handle some a little stiffer, u might wanna try Luxilon Ace 18 or Luxilon TiMo 18, they hold tension pretty well and DONT move at all.

hoodjem
10-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Go hybrid! (This way you can have it all: touch, power, feel, softness, etc.)

Plenty of good suggestions here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=161565

bmichaelia
10-19-2007, 10:58 AM
I use an OS racquet too. Very unenthusiastic about Wilson sensation.

Love hybrids. Suggest trying either the Topspin Cyberflash or Cyberpower on the mains. If you really like your Sensation, you can always use them on the crosses. But other better, and cheaper crosses (IMO) are OG Sheep micro and Babolat super fine play. Even with a hybrid of poly mains, you should have no string movement, which is something I really like too.

harleywilson
10-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Kirschbaum Competition or ProLine 2. No string movement on either and very soft for a poly IMO

LPShanet
10-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Hey everyone. I think I have finally decided on getting the Prince 03 Hybrid Shark OS. Now on to the strings. I have been using Wilson Sensation 16 at 58 pounds for about all my tennis playing life lol. One thing that really, really, gets annoying is string movement. I hate having to straighten up my strings in between points because they are so messed up! I am not a big string breaker. I usually get my racquets re-strung about 3 or 4 times per year and rarely, rarely, break a string. Another thing that I like about a string is the feel. Is there a string out there that has minimal to no string movement and has great feel and holds tension well and good on durability? I know that's alot to ask in a string lol. I am a 3.5 tournament player. I have never tried polyester yet but I have read alot about them on the boards here.

Sounds a little like obsessive compulsive disorder, my friend:) If you like the way the strings feel, and you don't break them, then why change? The movement may be cosmetically unappealing, but it's not hurting you. And it keeps you occupied between points so you don't start getting all nervous and flustered:) Seems silly to change a winning formula for appearance reasons. If you like Sensation, you'll find polys VERY different. They're most enjoyed by hard hitters who use heavy spin to keep the ball in. Since you don't break strings, I'm guessing that's not you.

If you're hell bent on finding something else, though, I'd investigate strings with similar construction and resiliency to your current one (use the USRSA map) before heading too far afield.

Valjean
10-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Installing Babolat's Elastocross plus raising just your cross string tension by 2-3 lbs. can solve this. Changing to polyester strings just to cut down on string movement only exchanges one problem for another, IMO.

shojun25
10-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Polyester strings are very forgiving in oversized frames. Try them out ;)

tbini87
10-19-2007, 09:26 PM
hybrid sounds like the solution for you. with a TON of quality soft poly's you can't really go wrong. everyone else have already given good choices of strings!

Ronny
10-20-2007, 03:34 AM
how is pro line 2 or competition compared to red code?