PDA

View Full Version : Difference between gut/poly on mains/cross

three eights
10-19-2007, 09:35 AM
hey, i'm trying to understand the main difference between synthetic gut and poly strings.

What are the differnece in 2 identical racquets, one strung with gut the other with poly? also what are the differences in a gut/poly hybrid, mains/cross and vice versa.

Thanks

downdaline
10-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Synthetic gut has more power than poly. (A racquet strung with poly will not sail the ball long as easily as a synthetic.)

Poly is stiffer than synthetic gut.

Synthetic gut feels more comfortable than poly.

three eights
10-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Synthetic gut has more power than poly. (A racquet strung with poly will not sail the ball long as easily as a synthetic.)

Poly is stiffer than synthetic gut.

Synthetic gut feels more comfortable than poly.

If i strung a racquet with poly mains and syn gut cross at 57 .... will it be significantly less powered then syn gut only?

Noisy Ninja
10-19-2007, 12:28 PM
If i strung a racquet with poly mains and syn gut cross at 57 .... will it be significantly less powered then syn gut only?

If all other factors are equal (i.e. same stringing machine/stringer, same gauge,
same racquet, same tensions, etc.) the full synthetic gut setup should typically be more powerful than a poly mains/synthetic gut hybrid strung in same conditions.
Give this link a look for descriptions of various types of tennis strings: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/String/StringReference.html