PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Gut or Multi mains/Poly crosses users out there??

Kcraig
10-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Topic speaks for itself--who all is using this type of setup with a syn gut or multifilament in the mains with a poly cross. What gauge(s) are you using?

I have recently been testing a ProSupex Titan main/Big Ace combo and am really liking it (My experiences are in the Pro Supex Initial Hit thread pp 29--).

Any other combos or suggestions out there? Thanks

dancraig
10-19-2007, 07:27 PM
I have a customer, 65 years old, who uses Lux in the crosses and NXT in the mains.

Kcraig
10-20-2007, 05:00 AM
I have a customer, 65 years old, who uses Lux in the crosses and NXT in the mains.

Damn, I;m only 33--I guess I'll be playing with spaghetti strings once I'm 45!!:sad: Anyone else out there with this type of setup--

PBODY99
10-20-2007, 05:43 AM
Gut mains, poly crosses for one teaching pro in the 45's.Prince Multi in the mains, Big Hitter in the crosses for my clay court rackets. I recommend this set-up to players who want to tone down the frames power a little.

Noisy Ninja
10-20-2007, 05:53 AM
I've been using various multi/poly setups on my K90's.
Favourite setup is Yonex 850 Pro 16/Cyberflash 16 (56/54) which lasts me about 2.5 hours on average. Plays excellent consistently from start to finish.
Recently tried Pro Supex Maxim Touch 16 in lieu of the Yonex 850 Pro 16 and it's very good overall (better durability but slightly more tension loss than the Yonex 850 Pro). I'll probably go with the Maxim Touch permanently in the future as the performance to price ratio is better than any other multi I've tried.
Regarding gauges, I think you'll find it's better to use a thicker gauged poly versus a thinner one in the setups you're considering. Thinner gauged poly crosses will quickly notch and saw through a softer main string and compromise longevity in my experience.

Kcraig
10-20-2007, 02:01 PM
I've been using various multi/poly setups on my K90's.
Favourite setup is Yonex 850 Pro 16/Cyberflash 16 (56/54) which lasts me about 2.5 hours on average. Plays excellent consistently from start to finish.
Recently tried Pro Supex Maxim Touch 16 in lieu of the Yonex 850 Pro 16 and it's very good overall (better durability but slightly more tension loss than the Yonex 850 Pro). I'll probably go with the Maxim Touch permanently in the future as the performance to price ratio is better than any other multi I've tried.
Regarding gauges, I think you'll find it's better to use a thicker gauged poly versus a thinner one in the setups you're considering. Thinner gauged poly crosses will quickly notch and saw through a softer main string and compromise longevity in my experience.

As you may or may not have seen in the Pro Supex thread--I have recently been testing the PS Titain syn gut 1.25/Big Ace 1.25 and really like the play of this--I have about 5 hours in it--but I looked at the mains and they have some pretty good notching and look like they may go next time out. I will probably just go to Titan in a 16 gauge and keep the 1.25 (17g) crosses--that may give me another 2+ hours. thanks

In D Zone
10-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Have not tried using poly as cross/ Multi or Synth on Main.

My current set up for my racquets are the following hybrids:

- ProSupex Premier Ace 17G (M) / Spiral Flex 16g (X)
- Prince Tournament Poly 17g (M) / Synthetic w/ Duratec 16g(x)
- Yonex Tough Brit 130 16L Hybrid

Love the Premier Ace / Spiral Flex combo. Spiral Flex plays like Prince Lighting XX. I get the control of the Premier Ace and the power /spin on the Spiral Flex !

XhotXEX1290
10-20-2007, 11:07 PM
i use nxt duo 17g/16g. i used poly/syn gut before and i prefer the multi.

Noisy Ninja
10-21-2007, 05:07 AM
As you may or may not have seen in the Pro Supex thread--I have recently been testing the PS Titain syn gut 1.25/Big Ace 1.25 and really like the play of this--I have about 5 hours in it--but I looked at the mains and they have some pretty good notching and look like they may go next time out. I will probably just go to Titan in a 16 gauge and keep the 1.25 (17g) crosses--that may give me another 2+ hours. thanks

You might also want to try PS Spiral Flex in lieu of the Titan. I've found the Spiral Flex to be slightly more durable than the Titan synthetic gut with little noticeable difference in playability.

Kcraig
10-21-2007, 05:13 AM
You might also want to try PS Spiral Flex in lieu of the Titan. I've found the Spiral Flex to be slightly more durable than the Titan synthetic gut with little noticeable difference in playability.

I do have a 1/2 set of spiral flex left over--I originally had CF 1.25 54#/Spiral Flex 58#. May just try the spiral flex in the mains @60# with CF crosses @ 55#. thanks. I like the spiral flex, BUT am not a huge fan of the appearence--it looks kinda cheap and cheesy. May just go with some good ole PSGD 17g.

Noisy Ninja
10-21-2007, 05:24 AM
I do have a 1/2 set of spiral flex left over--I originally had CF 1.25 54#/Spiral Flex 58#. May just try the spiral flex in the mains @60# with CF crosses @ 55#. thanks. I like the spiral flex, BUT am not a huge fan of the appearence--it looks kinda cheap and cheesy. May just go with some good ole PSGD 17g.

LOL. Yeah, I was thinking it looked kinda cheap at first too...but my clients have been pretty happy with the performance of the string so far compared to the Gosen OG Micro I was using before.
I've got a couple reels of the stuff and from the pics on the reels...Spiral Flex construction appears is a bit more complex than your typical cheap synthetic gut with multifilament-like fibers wrapped around the main core. In any case, a very good deal for a good performing synthetic string. A hybrid setup of Spiral Flex/Cyberflash should play quite nice indeed.

Kcraig
10-21-2007, 07:16 AM
LOL. Yeah, I was thinking it looked kinda cheap at first too...but my clients have been pretty happy with the performance of the string so far compared to the Gosen OG Micro I was using before.
I've got a couple reels of the stuff and from the pics on the reels...Spiral Flex construction appears is a bit more complex than your typical cheap synthetic gut with multifilament-like fibers wrapped around the main core. In any case, a very good deal for a good performing synthetic string. A hybrid setup of Spiral Flex/Cyberflash should play quite nice indeed.

Thanks for the input. I recently had the reverse setup with CF/Spiral Flex and it played really, really well--it was just a "bit" too stiff and gave me a little elbow/forearm soreness. So maybe the spiral flex in the mains would be a bit softer but still play pretty similar to the CF mains with a little more touch. Right now the Titan mains/BA is one of the best setups for touch/feel shots but still control. I need a multi feel with a bit more control/spin. May try the Max Touch 17g and string it at 62# instead of 60#. I have sample of a new Pro Supex multi coming in so I may give it a whirl.

tbini87
10-21-2007, 10:01 AM
i have played with a few syn gut/poly hybrids, but prefer poly in the mains instead of crosses. did not get enough spin with syn gut in the mains. durability and string movement is also better with poly in the mains, imo.