PDA

View Full Version : Your Best Match Was With What Racquet?

chair ump
10-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Let's all reminisce about that perfect or close to perfect match that you played at some point in time...Just curious to know what racquet you associate with that fond memory and approx. weight and tension.

Happy Posting!

TripleB
10-19-2007, 12:21 PM
About 6 years ago I was down 2-5 in the first set to a guy in the quarters of a tourney. My dad (who passed away 7/29/06) came to the match (I was 34 at the time, he was 69) and at the change over he said "Come on, you can do it!"

After that I wond 11 straight games....one of my favorite memories in my whole tennis career.

TripleB

Oh yea, I was using a Prince Original Graphite Mid.

neverstopplaying
10-19-2007, 04:07 PM
My current sig - every match is becoming memorable. Today I played a strong 4.5 with 4-6, 6-4 and I won a tie-break 7-2.

BTW, TripleB - great story!

KOtennis
10-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Played my regular hitting buddy who i ALWAYS loose to, was using Babolat Pure Control Zylon 360. 4 1/2 grip, some kind of 17 gauge string, 1 overgrip.

my record against him is like 3-50 all time.

beat him 2 straight sets 6-1, 6-2. with my friends PCZ
then the next day played him 4 tie breakers, which i won 3/4.
7-0, 7-2, 7-9, 7-0

but then after that the racquet became too light for me...

GoochMoney
10-19-2007, 04:39 PM
smoked three players in my indoor league on monday night that i lost to all year last year...using my new K95

k95 - 6.1 - 16x18 - Kirschbaum ProLine II M's at 57 - Forten Sweet X's at 58 - a few pieces of lead tape in the handle...not sure of the exact weight

soggyramen
10-19-2007, 05:42 PM
About 6 years ago I was down 2-5 in the first set to a guy in the quarters of a tourney. My dad (who passed away 7/29/06) came to the match (I was 34 at the time, he was 69) and at the change over he said "Come on, you can do it!"

After that I wond 11 straight games....one of my favorite memories in my whole tennis career.

TripleB

Oh yea, I was using a Prince Original Graphite Mid.

great story TripleB

i had a similar story...i had a match against a high school player in a tournament that i had never beaten EVER...like not even close and i had been working at a tennis club with my coworker. now he had a prostaff tour 90 and i loved to play with it. that summer i worked with him i got so much better by playing with him and we became close friends. by the time of the match it was the spring of the next year. my girlfriend came to this match and i was playing the guy i had never beaten. i was down a set 4-6 and we were playing a tiebreaker for the second and i was down 0-3 and all my confidence was gone. my girlfriend came over during the changeover and said she had a gift for me. in the racquet case was a wilson tour 90, it was my coworker's very same racquet. she told me that my coworker told me to "give em hell and show them all that you've learned" later i called him that night and found out he had left the country for good to accept a job and left the racquet for me. inside the racquet bag was a note that said "you've come a long way...never doubt yourself, an excellent all court game like yours should never be doubted" i played with the tour 90 for the rest of the match...at the time i was using a PD W/ Cortex

i went on the win the match 4-6, 7-6 (3), 6-1

shojun25
10-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Yonex RDS 001 Midsize

Highschool jv team 2 years ago. I was playing as our school's singles #3 against the team's singles #1. The overall score was 8-9 (us losing, but if I win, we would win because of the total game points added up) and everyone was depending on me to win. I was using my main racquet/first ever racquet, a Liquidmetal Genesis 112 headsize. I was losing 2-4, then my strings broke. My friend lend me a Yonex RDS 001 90 headsize to play with. At the time, it seemed real heavy, stiff (because of the poly strings), and I had to change from a 112 headsize to a 90 headsize. I continued the match, and I LOVED it. It felt comfortable when I swung it, but I shanked the ball a lot. I ended up winning 7-5, but it was a pretty close game. Everyone was amazed that I won because our singles #1 had a close game too and our singles #2 lost. I ended up breaking up the team at the end which was a proud moment for me :D

P.S. I didn't choose the RDS 001 as my main racquet because, as mentioned, the headsize was too small. I played with the O3 Tour MP, and it played similar to the RDS so I chose that instead.

chair ump
10-19-2007, 06:06 PM
great story TripleB

i had a similar story...i had a match against a high school player in a tournament that i had never beaten EVER...like not even close and i had been working at a tennis club with my coworker. now he had a prostaff tour 90 and i loved to play with it. that summer i worked with him i got so much better by playing with him and we became close friends. by the time of the match it was the spring of the next year. my girlfriend came to this match and i was playing the guy i had never beaten. i was down a set 4-6 and we were playing a tiebreaker for the second and i was down 0-3 and all my confidence was gone. my girlfriend came over during the changeover and said she had a gift for me. in the racquet case was a wilson tour 90, it was my coworker's very same racquet. she told me that my coworker told me to "give em hell and show them all that you've learned" later i called him that night and found out he had left the country for good to accept a job and left the racquet for me. inside the racquet bag was a note that said "you've come a long way...never doubt yourself, an excellent all court game like yours should never be doubted" i played with the tour 90 for the rest of the match...at the time i was using a PD W/ Cortex

i went on the win the match 4-6, 7-6 (3), 6-1

This story's a beauty...Are you still having success with the Tour 90? Like yourself, I'm an all courter who used to use a 100 in. frame and downsizing to a mid has made attacking tennis much more fun for me lately.

TnTBigman
10-19-2007, 06:10 PM
man....about 2 years ago. HEAD Radical Ti Radical OS @ 62lbs Synthetic gut. used it for over 6 years. great for doubles. effective at the net. sweet angles. Hitting first serves 127mph+. killing righties with the slice Ad serve out wide. And when they think they can compensate by leaning more outside...*WHADAP!* flat ace down the center. Ti.Rad was sweet.

soggyramen
10-19-2007, 06:10 PM
This story's a beauty...Are you still having success with the Tour 90? Like yourself, I'm an all courter who used to use a 100 in. frame and downsizing to a mid has made attacking tennis much more fun for me lately.

yeah i still have two (my friend's and one i bought) and i bring them out for some practice every now and then but i find myself playing much better with it when i'm at my best than i do with the pure storm tour...i would stay with it if i knew i could play well with it consistently.

galatti
10-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Simple and plain: N95

JLN
10-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Best one that comes to mind was a match in a college tournament - I was playing a guy who had beat me up pretty bad during a team match earlier in the year, primarily because I'd partied a bit hard the night before. A few weeks later, I beat him even worse at the next team match with his school, primarily because I'm pretty sure he had partied a bit hard himself the night before. Anyway, ran into him in the second or third round of this college tournament and we both had something to prove to each other - and whether he turned out to be a lot better than I suspected or I underestimated him, he took me out in the first set something like 6-1, and was up on me I think 5-2 in the second (long time ago - details are fuzzy) when I decided I was just going to dig deeper than ever before and be determined not to lose a point at all cost. I didn't win every point, but I managed to win the second set in a tiebreaker, and then come back from a similar deficit in the third to win 7-5. Taught me I had more guts in me than I thought, and I've rarely given up on a match ever since - and won a few I probably should have lost as a result. You never know what can happen if you give it a shot.

Anyway, the racquets were ProKennex Graphite Dominators (went through 2 of them that day and was on my last), most likely strung with whatever the coach had on the spool of the week, probably at 60 lbs.

vsdtrek
10-19-2007, 07:53 PM
My USTA season was a disaster 5 years ago and I had some bone chips & spurs in my ankle that would require surgery about a month later. We were playing the team that would win the state and the #1 singles player who hadn't lost in about 5 seasons. Used a Volkl Tour 8 demo with too small of a grip that I picked up an hour before the match and decided to use instead of my usual PS 6.0 95. Absolutely destroyed the guy 6-3, 6-3 with this thing - I never hit so many winners in my life as you could just wind up and pound the ball. The match was so quick that my captain actually assumed I lost when I walked off the court. The win might have been due to my approach that day; however, that frame sure helped.

I ended up buying two about a week later, decided they were too long a week after that and then sold them. Go figure! :)

nickb
10-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Volkl VE Mid...beat a guy in the semis of a tournament he has won 9 years in a row...I had also never even won a set against him :D

bertrevert
10-23-2007, 07:10 AM
I hate playing in the morning. Briefly, I tried a "breakfast comp" - you play, they feed you breakfast. It's an at-dawn thing 6-8am before work, best of 3.

I played a guy who was my equal and who stuck with me. The mist hung in the background (was winter-ish). We both nervy and cold. I got the first set I think 6-3.

Morning got some sun, so did we. He seemed to have my number. He was ahead 5-2. I wanted to go eat, so I had to work my way back. We do tiebreaks at 5-all and short deuces. I get to 5-5 with him so we do tiebreak.

I always remember I went to net on a prayer. I got a backhand volley off my hip which sailed past his backhand, as he was inside the baseline, and he twisted following it with his nose, laying down on the court as it goes past, thinking/hoping it would sail long...

That volley dropped in. The mist cleared. That volley meant food. That volley came from a Babolat PD, and I didn't feel a thing. I hate morning tennis.

(Standard stock first Bab PD with syn gut at 58 lbs. - not known for their feel or their volleys...)

HBK4life
10-23-2007, 07:21 AM
My freshman year in high school I was playing a match that if I won I would go to state. I was using my best friends POG. I was down 1-4 in the 1st when all of a sudden it was like Jesus Christ took my place on the court. The guy was a serve and volley player and I just started hitting clean winners of his serve and ripping passing shots by him. I won the first set 6-4 and the second 6-1. I don't remember everything as it was like a dream. I think if the guy would have stayed back and hit with me maybe the match might had gone different.

gerikoh
10-23-2007, 07:33 AM
when i made a switch to the asian k90 from the us k90 and i beat some my middle-aged 4.5 trainor 6-1, 6-2 with some money at stake :D

tennis_wako137
10-23-2007, 02:52 PM
My best match was when I play a set against three different people and won all of them 6-0. I was using Prince Turbo Outlaw OS. I used it to recover from tennis elbow early thing summer.