PDA

View Full Version : Russian cat fight

norcal
11-15-2004, 07:27 AM
How do you say 'meow' in Russian?

Sharapova defeated countrywoman Anastasia Myskina 2-6, 6-2, 6-2 for the first time after losing all three of their other meetings this year.

“If Serena would play like she did today, I don’t think she (Sharapova) would have any chances,” Myskina said.

Sharapova replied, “I’m just so excited to be in the final, I could care less about my chances.”

Sharapova was assessed a code violation for being coached in the fifth game of the third set by her father Yuri. “He always coaches her,” Myskina said, adding that most players’ coaches do the same thing during matches. “Maria’s father did something really loud. That is why the chair umpire saw it.”

Sharapova said, “I didn’t hear what he said.”

Zverev
11-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Russian cats say "meow", too.
They only spell it differently, "myau".

I think, these two Russians don't relly get along.
And it comes from Myskina mostly.
She always says something nasty about Sharapova,
I think she's too full of herself, stressed several times that she's number one in Russia. Big deal.
I wish Sharapova will kick her butt couple of more times, especially in big matches.

Aonex
11-15-2004, 08:33 PM
Actually, I think Myskina mostly talks her trash about Sharapova's dad. I remember her complaining about Yuri during their match at Indian Wells. I don't blame her though... Yuri's got to shut his trap and let his kid play.

Zverev
11-15-2004, 08:55 PM
Not only about dad.
Yes, maybe Yuri should shut up.
I never saw Sharapova live so..no comment.

Sharapova's coaches are nevertheles happy with Yuri, unlike the stories with some other tennis dads (Elena Dokic comes to mind).
Yuri doesn't get into their business, they say.

jjames
11-15-2004, 09:48 PM
i really dont see any love lost with sharapova and any of the other russian women. you could really see it this week after sharapova beat three of them, and after the match they all seemed a little icy at the net toward maria, and appeared to storm off the court. but it will be fun to see sharapova beat the skirts off them.

Anonymous
11-16-2004, 04:22 AM
Myskina's got nothing on Sharapova....Sharapova has a much better game, that's obvious

Zverev
11-16-2004, 01:14 PM
I would probably agree with Myskina when she says that Sharapova is rather American girl than Russian.
She grew up in US, so she might as well be more comfortable with English than Russian.
Different background from the Moscow girls, so they don't have much to talk about.