PDA

View Full Version : Noob needing help

mcpon
10-19-2007, 04:07 PM
How would you hit a forehand topspin with the continental grip? I'm a noob so I wouldn't know.

TheShaun
10-19-2007, 04:18 PM
not very easily! are you taking lessons? perhaps it's a little early to even be thinking about topspin.

Seifersquall1
10-19-2007, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't do topspin on the continental grip. If you want heavy topspin, then use the western grip. Just brush the ball to get topspin :D

mcpon
10-20-2007, 01:11 AM
not very easily! are you taking lessons? perhaps it's a little early to even be thinking about topspin.

Well, I've taken PE tennis classes in college but that's about it. I could hit the forehand topspin with semi-western grip but not continental. I'm used to continental because it seems the easiest or the most comfortable, and I use it for the backhand (bh is mostly slice which I'm trying to get out of the habit of) but I'm just kind of tired of having to switch grips for backhand and forehand. With the forehand continental, I could hit some kind of a diagonal-spin (or whatever) but it doesn't seem to have much kick to it like a top-spin.

Messarger
10-20-2007, 03:20 AM
You should not be tired switching grips. Use your non master hand to help you. I'll assume its your left. So after you hit a groundstroke, espeically forehand, catch your racket and use your left hand to hold the racket firm. Firm enough to allow your right hand to be able to move to any bevel you want. This way you wont put unnecessary stress by using 1 hand to change grips.

mcpon
10-21-2007, 03:13 AM
You should not be tired switching grips. Use your non master hand to help you. I'll assume its your left. So after you hit a groundstroke, espeically forehand, catch your racket and use your left hand to hold the racket firm. Firm enough to allow your right hand to be able to move to any bevel you want. This way you wont put unnecessary stress by using 1 hand to change grips.

Well, I already do steady the racket with my non-master hand (yep, it's my left) whenever I change grips. I'm just a lazy player. I don't like having to change grips. I just want to be able to hit a fh topspin and not have to change grip. I don't really know how to hit decent backhands with a semi-western, so I would prefer the grip to be continental. :)

mcpon
10-21-2007, 03:16 AM
Oh, and thanks for the replies.

Cindysphinx
10-21-2007, 05:45 AM
Well, I already do steady the racket with my non-master hand (yep, it's my left) whenever I change grips. I'm just a lazy player. I don't like having to change grips. I just want to be able to hit a fh topspin and not have to change grip. I don't really know how to hit decent backhands with a semi-western, so I would prefer the grip to be continental. :)

Changing grips is not something to be lazy about.

As it was explained to me by a pro trying to get me to stop being haphazard with my grip, the grip is your steering wheel. When you know what shot you want to hit, you "steer" your racket the correct way for that shot. Saying you're lazy about changing grips sounds to my ears like saying you're lazy about moving the steering wheel when you drive.

Trying to find a one-size-fits-all grip doesn't sound like a very good plan if you want to be a good player.

Bagumbawalla
10-21-2007, 01:59 PM
There have been some very good players (Laver, for example) who have used the continental grip. Laver, in fact, is often credited with popularizing the power/topspin/modern game.

The basic answer to your question- how to hit topspin with a continental grip-- is a simple one. You hit through the ball, just like anyone else, with your racket path following THROUGH the ball in a low to high path- but you will not find it easy unless you start working up a wrist like Popeye the sailor.

The fact that you even have to ask the question, however-- leads me to answer more completely and accurately that if you are serious about improving your game and begoming an all-round player, you should dump the contintal grip.

It is an old-fashioned grip that really cannot stand up to the demands of the modern style of tennis.

Get an instructor. Get some lessons. Right now is when you are going to develop your basic tennis strokes. You don't want to start habits, that will be difficult to fix when you want to advance to higher levels of the game.

mcpon
10-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Changing grips is not something to be lazy about.
Trying to find a one-size-fits-all grip doesn't sound like a very good plan if you want to be a good player.

Agreed.

You guys are right. I probably should just improve what I have or switch to semi-western for both bh & fh. Again, thanks.