PDA

View Full Version : Heavy frames

Soonerfan1590
10-19-2007, 09:56 PM
So today I hit with a leaded up Pro Kennex type C that must have been nearing 14 ounces with about the same balance. The racquet was strung at 68 (10 pounds higher than my regular tension). Just so you guys know I normally play with a Tour Diablo MP that weighs about 11 ounces. Before I stepped on the court i was expecting to have to hit the heck out of the ball to get it over the net because of the high tension. Boy was I wrong! As a matter of fact, for the first 20 minutes I could barely keep the ball in at all. I also found myself off balance on about 70% of the shots (pretty much unless they were hit directly to me). Because this was my first experience playing with a frame that weighs more than 13 ounces, I was shocked to find the HUGE effect racquet weight can have on my game. I am by no means a weak guy so I never expected to not be able to handle a 14 oz racquet.

I would like to hear some feedback from you guys as to why the racquet was producing so much uncontrolable power. Of course the timing in my swings had to adjust, but I do not feel like this was the main reason as to why I was hitting out on the ball so much.

NLBwell
10-19-2007, 10:27 PM
My Kennex Black Ace is 14 oz+ and I get very good power from the weight, but the reason I use the racket is for control. I'm thinking that in order to adjust to the weight and re-adjust your timing you were probably taking a much bigger swing than normal and you were losing contol of the racket face which was causing the ball to fly on you. By the way, even though I'm pretty fit, I wouldn't call myself particularly strong - weakness has nothing to do with your inability to adjust to the racket. With a longer swing, you need much better timing.

paulfreda
10-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Yes weight = power.
And too much power = loss of control unless you start hitting with more topspin.
Most heavy frames are rendered controllable by being very headlight. This makes them feel lighter than they are and the lack of weight in the hoop gives it depth control.
Also, higher tension should reduce power, but not always.

fuzz nation
10-22-2007, 05:58 AM
It's not completely about being strong to be able to hit a very heavy racquet - the timing is a lot different. When people talk about more demanding frames, they're referring to what you've experienced. You have to do everything right and also do it on time to hit consistently good shots with a heavy flexible bat like that, including generating topspin.

When I work out or play with my 13.4 oz. LM Prestige mids, it's actually hardest on my legs because I have to haul *** to the hitting zone and set up earlier to get a good stroke, but the payoff is that "hot knife through butter" thing when I nail it. If you've been getting away with "arming" the ball too much, a long outing with a really heavy racquet will let you know in a big hurry, especially when serving. Working out with a very heavy frame has overhauled my service motion and I've incorporated a better leg drive for more zip and spin production.

I think that there's more potential for power in a heavier frame, but only if the player can swing it right, so different sticks fit different players. Once you play with a super heavy racquet, it's easier to appreciate the wisdom to only use the heaviest one that you can play with all day.