PDA

View Full Version : Henin & Gasquet one-hand bh grip

Ross K
10-19-2007, 11:59 PM
. I've heard they use the same grip for top spin bh drives and was wondering if you one-handers could confirm what this is exactly (I've heard slightly conflicting stuff.)

. Plus also, any tips or insights as to succesfully mastering the grip (or indeed the actual top spin drive - CC or DTL) - itself would be welcome. I'm actually a 2hander who wants to try this out... I was a one-hander for quite a while but have forgotten things.)

. Lastly, for the sake of studying videos, which other pro's use this particular 1hbh grip?

Many thanks,

R.

AznHylite
10-20-2007, 12:12 AM
It's a western BH grip (looks like a semi-western forehand just opposite).

punch
10-20-2007, 12:17 AM
I thought Gasquet used a eastern one hand backhanded grip?

I know Henin uses a western...

Ross K
10-20-2007, 12:21 AM
It's a western BH grip (looks like a semi-western forehand just opposite).

Any more detail?

I'm not quite sure which bevel forefinger knuckle should be on.

You're not saying it's exactly the same, unchanged grip as the sw forehand only you invert, twist or turn the wrist inwards?

stormholloway
10-20-2007, 02:04 AM
I think Henin's is slightly more extreme. Keep in mind there are infinite grips on a racquet. Gasquet's might be more of an extreme eastern than a full western, but you should focus on what feels good to you.

If you feel like you naturally put topspin on the ball, then go toward eastern to balance the spin with the drive. If you feel like you naturally hit through the ball, then a more extreme grip might help you keep the ball in with spin.

Ross K
10-20-2007, 03:38 AM
Okay. Done some research. According to Jim McClennan feature for TennisOne, Gasquet definitely uses a full Eastern bh for his topspin onehander...

Right. Now for Henin...

Ross K
10-20-2007, 04:39 AM
Okay. Done some research. According to Jim McClennan feature for TennisOne, Gasquet definitely uses a full Eastern bh for his topspin onehander...

Right. Now for Henin...

Okay. All done... Henin's official site states she uses a an extreme-eastern bh.

Q. Is there a difference between a 'full' eastern bh (as has been ascribed above to Gasquet) and an 'extreme' eastern bh (as has been ascribed above to Henin), or does 'full' and 'extreme' mean the same thing?

(BTW, it would make sense if they were both the same because Henin's site said the reason she used an extreme-eastern was to do with her small stature and how this grip suited her for applying topspin; and of course Gasquet is short.)

Bottle Rocket
10-20-2007, 08:07 AM
Check out this grip article-->

http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/gear/general/general.aspx?id=649

The semi-western or extreme eastern backhand grip (used by Henin and Gasquet) places your palm, knuckles, and the "v" in the exact same position as a semi-western forehand does.

It is the grip that I use on my backhand and after finally figuring out my footwork and the proper contact point (incredibly far out in front), it has become a great shot. The advantages to the semi-western backhand are the same as that for a semi-western forehand compared with an eastern forehand. You can handle high balls and put more top spin on the ball. I still find it great for hitting low balls with this grip, partly because of the footwork involved. It is much easier to get down and low for a one-handed backhand than it is for a forehand, at least for me. With that said, if you're lazy and don't use your knees, it can be hard to find any sort of consistency.

The disadvantage comes when trying to "blocK" the ball back with this grip, it is easy to dump balls into the net because of the closed racket face. For this reason, as well as the difficulty in taking a heavy ball that gets up high, most of us slice backhand returns off heavy kick serves.

Coaches never seem to recommend this grip, which I sort of understand and I sort of don't. In Dave Smith's Tennis Mastery book, he never even mentions the existence of semi-western backhand.

To keep BreakPoint from going nuts, it is recommend that you change grips between shots, even if you use a semi-western forehand and semi-western backhand.

WildVolley
10-20-2007, 08:51 AM
You take the standard eastern backhand grip with your knuckles up top and then rotate farther toward the backhand side. You'll find it naturally encourages you to hit more low to high to impart more topspin to your backhand, and the contact point seems ever so slightly further in front.

I use it sometimes, and if I get the timing down I get that ripping feeling, especially when using poly, that I associate with watching Henin's backhand on TV. I believe it is worth experimenting with this grip if you swing a 1hbh.

paulfreda
10-20-2007, 04:26 PM
The disadvantage comes when trying to "blocK" the ball back with this grip, it is easy to dump balls into the net because of the closed racket face. For this reason, as well as the difficulty in taking a heavy ball that gets up high, most of us slice backhand returns off heavy kick serves.

This is why many SWBHers fan open the face on the backswing. [See some clips of Guga or Gaudio] From there your face will be open for either
1/ a cut/drive or
2/ you can drop the head and roll over the ball for topspin or
3/ you can just block it/lift it as the face is already slightly open

Only when I know I have time will I takeback with a closed face.
And the rip from the closed position is better IMO.

Rickson
10-20-2007, 07:08 PM
. I've heard they use the same grip for top spin bh drives and was wondering if you one-handers could confirm what this is exactly (I've heard slightly conflicting stuff.)

. Plus also, any tips or insights as to succesfully mastering the grip (or indeed the actual top spin drive - CC or DTL) - itself would be welcome. I'm actually a 2hander who wants to try this out... I was a one-hander for quite a while but have forgotten things.)

. Lastly, for the sake of studying videos, which other pro's use this particular 1hbh grip?

Many thanks,

R.
Henin looks like she uses a strong eastern or a semi-western bh grip and with Richard, I can't tell.

lecter255
10-21-2007, 08:24 PM
1 you are just starting with 1hb, it really doesn't matter, just pick one and work on timing, rotation, and footwork.

Ross K
10-22-2007, 12:20 AM
Thanks for great replies everyone.

JohnP
10-22-2007, 12:53 AM

I use a full western grip forehand, and use the same exact grip for my one handed backhand. One of the biggest differences is that I actually hit the ball with the exact same face of the racquet on both sides, while most people hit with opposite sides during a given point. Another "oddity" about it is that when lining up for a service return, I am holding the racquet face perpendicular (facing) the ground, as I can bring the racquet back from that position to either the forehand or backhand and hit a topspin return without having to adjust my grip.

It's hard for me to remember how I got into hitting that way. I'm pretty sure I began playing with a semi-western grip that quickly evolved to full western, and then I was taught the basic one handed backhand grip, that at some point evolved over slightly to being the same as my forehand grip.

Without busting out a camera, the best description of the exact grip I can give is to have you hold a racquet with the face perpendicular to the ground, and then hold your hand out straight and grip the racquet. This probably wont work, as even when I use this advice in person to try and show people the grip, they usually mess it up.

Many thanks,

R.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure about Henin or Gasquet, but if you ever get a chance to watch Phillip Kohlschreiber, he hits the ball very similarly to my own strokes, all the way down to the extra loopy forehand and service return technique. I was surprised as i've always thought it to be a fairly efficient way to hit and am surprised it is not more common. Of course, in my area the semi-western forehand is preferred and most players either had a two-handed backhand OR they had a one handed backhand that evolved from a two-hander, and they never bothered to try changing the grip from the standard continental right hand for a two-handed backhand.

Doing a quick google image search on Kohlschreiber this is the best I could find:

http://tennis.germanblogs.de/pub/germanblogs/tennis/Kohlschreiber.jpg
http://p3.focus.de/img/gen/o/s/HBosD2EG_Pxgen_r_311xA.jpg
http://www.tennisserver.com/turbo/images/pilotpen05/waite/Kohlschreiber1.jpg

Hope that's helpful. Interesting topic mainly because it's how I always have played and like I said have expected to see more players hit the same way.

John

JohnP
10-22-2007, 12:55 AM
Looks like he does have to switch grips for this shot, however :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40752000/jpg/_40752759_kolsch.jpg

Mahboob Khan
10-22-2007, 10:02 AM
Both Henin and Gasquet use Extreme eastern BH grips for their 1-hander (base knuckle of the index finger is on panel 8), and their swing pattern looks like a big U. Just prior to, during, and after contact the hitting arm is stiff-straight; as they swing forward-upward, the left arm goes backward-downward.

cliff
10-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Have a look at their grips in slow motion at one of the free video clip sites like www.procomparetennis.net

Mahboob Khan
10-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Procompare is not new to me. Go to Article section, and you will find several articles from me. Regards, Mahboob Khan. Those who are members of www.tennisplayer.net, should click on "strategy" and read my article on, "The Tactical Universe".