PDA

View Full Version : Any full poly users not loving life as temps drop?

J011yroger
10-20-2007, 04:04 AM
Thinkin of throwin a few hybrids into my bag incase I have to play outdoors in sub 50 degree temps.

J

NoBadMojo
10-20-2007, 06:58 AM
I think it is a good idea to raise your tension with poly when the temps drop and use those Tretorn pressureless balls ;)

Seriously, I know poly users who completely abandon poly even in a hybrid when they play outdoors in cooler temps

You could try a string like Iso Control in the Classic flavour.

matt.jc
10-20-2007, 10:00 AM
I actually like it, but my poly was strung in august so the tension dropped alot so it feels like it has more control, but not the harsh feeling of freshly strung poly.

mrw
10-20-2007, 12:19 PM
I am definitely going from my hybred set up to a full synthetic gut within the next 2 weeks. As it gets colder, it's tougher to pick up a game which leaves me hitting pressureless balls with my SP Pro.

haerdalis
10-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Non pressurised balls is painful regardless of strings. And I am Swedish so I am very familiar with Tretorn products.

HLM2
10-20-2007, 03:57 PM
I'm using full poly- when temps drop does the tension drop? Regardless, my strings are extremely loose and i'm barely swinging and they go past the baseline, restring time. Now to compensate for the cold, should i string higher?

J011yroger
10-20-2007, 04:26 PM
I think it is a good idea to raise your tension with poly when the temps drop and use those Tretorn pressureless balls ;)

Seriously, I know poly users who completely abandon poly even in a hybrid when they play outdoors in cooler temps

You could try a string like Iso Control in the Classic flavour.

I ordered up a set of Legend 17 and Isospeed Pro.

Hoping very much that I will hate it like hell. Will give you the rundown.

J

tbini87
10-20-2007, 04:39 PM

J

why do you hope to hate it? just curious...

Gmedlo
10-20-2007, 04:52 PM
why do you hope to hate it? just curious...

He'll probably break it in an hour, which means big money if he likes it.

NoBadMojo
10-20-2007, 05:06 PM

J

yo J-Man. based upon how you describe your game and your stringing habits, the setup I would recommend for you to try <altho i havent tried it> would be
-Klip Legend ArmourPro16 m;s
-IsoPro Control x's

or maybe even straight up Armourpro strung on the tight side (Armourpro I have hit and it would work for a poly lover if strung tightly as you get some of that poly type action and a lower power level, but with lots more comfort, all the tension maintenance, etc. If you get double the playing time out of it vs your poly, you would be better off.

J011yroger
10-20-2007, 05:23 PM
yo J-Man. based upon how you describe your game and your stringing habits, the setup I would recommend for you to try <altho i havent tried it> would be
-Klip Legend ArmourPro16 m;s
-IsoPro Control x's

or maybe even straight up Armourpro strung on the tight side (Armourpro I have hit and it would work for a poly lover if strung tightly as you get some of that poly type action and a lower power level, but with lots more comfort, all the tension maintenance, etc. If you get double the playing time out of it vs your poly, you would be better off.

Well it is not really a question of if the switch would be viable, the only way it would be economically possible would be if I could get on Klip's string program. I just bought it to see what all the hullibaloo was about. If I break it in 30 mins, and like it, I will try the 16g version, and report my findings.

And as far as the armorpro 16, I can't imagine it would last more than an hour if I am breaking ALU Rough in 2.

It might be viable in the indoor season, where I don't play nearly as many hours, and much as I hate to admit it, loose a little off my fastball.

My wrist is getting stronger by the week, esp. now that I am not playing every day, and as it does my topspin is getting back to its former wicked self.

Thursday, and today were the first two days in 4 months that I didn't tape my wrist, and I starched all my FH return of serves thurs, and wailed with a big hitter this morning for a couple of hours, and aside from mishits (God they hurt), felt real good. So hopefully I will heal up totally over the winter, and be on a string program by 08 (Which may be easier since Luxilon is owned by Wilson now.)

J

jasoncho92
10-21-2007, 08:02 PM
I dont know if tennis strings are different than most things, but shouldnt the tension rise since low temperatures make the molecules get closer together? And because the tension rises, shouldnt you have a racket with a lower tension?

J011yroger
10-22-2007, 03:22 AM
I dont know if tennis strings are different than most things, but shouldnt the tension rise since low temperatures make the molecules get closer together? And because the tension rises, shouldnt you have a racket with a lower tension?

Yes, Correct. And you string tighter the hotter it gets because the strings become more elastic.

J