PDA

View Full Version : Footwork - adjustment steps before an approach shot.

Messarger
10-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Hi all. Question regarding footwork. Everytime i get a short ball i find myself not being able to kill the ball.

I can get to the ball and hit it, but my teaching pro says i'm rushing. He always tells me that i've got a lot of time, but i get this feeling that if i take too long adjusting myself before i hit the ball, it will drop below my hitting zone.

Question: Do i really have so much time? And how can i adjust myself without taking too much time until the ball bounces again?

Texas21
10-20-2007, 08:25 AM
I have this problem a lot, and so does Andy Roddick haha.

I pretty much fixed it by just closing my stance more, and if you really need to, hit it cross-court by bringing around your elbow over more of the top of the ball. I used to however, run as fast as I can to get up to it, but I seem to do better moving slowly, maybe having it lower than the net, but still being in the right position.

If your coach is saying that you are rushing, you probably are, I did the same thing a while ago. Now I'm just having problems getting that approach shot haha. ;)

Jonnyf
10-20-2007, 09:19 AM
As you come towards the ball begin moving forwards by moving (?cross-over steps?) this allows you to put your weight through the ball and also allows you to continue your forward momentum and pull you towards the net. I got a video today that shows me absolutly kill (IMO) an approach.

Messarger
10-20-2007, 09:25 AM
Could you post it in this thread?

Jonnyf
10-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Could you post it in this thread?

Yes, but I need to get a new machine to upload the video from camera to computer, my current one is no longer working, I should be able to get it up tomorrow. Having looked at it, there's no way you'd be able to see my feet.

Messarger
10-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Bump, i believe there're more posters here than can give more valuble advice.

NoBadMojo
10-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi all. Question regarding footwork. Everytime i get an approach shot i find myself not being able to kill the ball.

I can get to the ball and hit it, but my teaching pro says i'm rushing. He always tells me that i've got a lot of time, but i get this feeling that if i take too long adjusting myself before i hit the ball, it will drop below my hitting zone.

Question: Do i really have so much time? And how can i adjust myself without taking too much time until the ball bounces again?

Bump, i believe there're more posters here than can give more valuble advice.

your words arent matching up. an approach shot is designed to get you to the net, hence the name. you dont wish to kill the approach shot as that will make it harder for you to get closer to the net where you can make your opponents' passing angles tougher
your footwork depends upon what kind of approach shot you are hitting....for example, if a sliced backhand approach you would ideally use crossover step footwork, altho that is something more advanced

Messarger
10-20-2007, 02:47 PM
I always thought that the approach shot was a short ball you received that usually is a put away winner. Let's substitute approach shot with short ball.