PDA

View Full Version : Division III tennis

El Hombre
10-20-2007, 09:27 AM
What is the level of these players at a typical d3 school? I consider myself a fairly good tennis player and i am transferring to a d3 school which has a mens tennis team and I wanted to get an idea of what I might be up against.Thanks

Kaptain Karl
10-20-2007, 10:02 AM
It really varies all over the place....

Our DIII school beat most of the DII schools we played ... and our team always voted NOT to go the the Conference Tournament (in which we would have been either the 1st or 2nd Seeds).

Aaargh!!! Grinds!

DIII schools do not give Sports scholarships, but they do give academic scholarships. (And some of the academic scholarships are because the school cannot give sports scholarships.

DIII schools' teams vary from being like a good HS team ... to being like a "middle" DII school's team.

(Big help, huh?)

- KK

BigDude
10-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Karl is correct on this one. I think people would be very surprised at how good the players are on the good D3 schools. On my team (15 years ago) we were a solid D3 team. We weren't good enough to go to nationals, but we were a tough beat for anyone. Every one of our starters played #1 for his high school team except for the #6 guy. That shows you that the level of play can be high. We did, however, play some teams where I swear a couple of their guys wouldn't have even started on my high school team. The range is all over the map. What school are you transferring to? You should do a little research and check them out.

NickC
10-20-2007, 05:27 PM
DIII Tennis is pretty darn good. Over the summer, I met and hit with a guy that played The 'Zoo two times and didn't even play first singles on his DIII team. However, he said that they were a very strong team and were one of the top DIII programs. Also, Eric Butorac won the DIII singles and doubles crowns a few years back, and he's in the top 30 in doubles...

35ft6
10-20-2007, 10:57 PM
There's been a lot of threads about this topic. Try searching for some. Lots of information in those threads.

GoochMoney
10-22-2007, 04:16 AM
El Hombre - if you can make the team you should play. I played #2 singles in high school and walked on to the #5 spot on a DIII team. The school had an influx of good players that year, a new tennis complex, and new tennis coach and we had the winningest season in team history. Got to play indoor for most of the winter too. I transferred next year to a DI school and didn't even try making the team. Good luck...let me know if you have other questions.

WBF
10-22-2007, 04:37 AM
Depends on the school.

I played on a team where the 11th and 12th players could beat the top players on other D3 teams, we had some wins over the D1 and D2 teams we played, we had a transfer from the Pepperdine team who didn't even make the top spot, etc. But then... consider the fact that there were other D3 teams which would spank us.

But then you have the teams where there might be one or two very talented players, but the rest look like hacks who wouldn't make a decent quality high school team. Players who don't even have fundamental strokes down, or any consistency to speak of.

Look up the team of the school you're transferring to. Email the coach. Visit the school and watch one of their matches or practices.

Oh, and to all the comments discussing top spots on highschool teams: That means nothing as well, considering the variety of levels in high school tennis (ranging from #1 singles players who wouldn't win a match against a 2.5 player, to teams with top state players legitimately*not* in the first singles spot).

tbini87
10-22-2007, 06:15 AM
i would try out and see how it goes. never know until you get out there. good luck.

BigDude
10-22-2007, 07:51 AM
WBF - what school did you play for?

BigDude
10-26-2007, 06:12 AM
Why is it that people are always so quick to talk about how good their college team is/was, but nobody is ever willing to say what school they played for?

Kaptain Karl
10-26-2007, 07:21 AM
Because *stalkers* can find out more personal info if they reveal that. (And you don't want to be a cyber-stalker, do you?)

- KK

BigDude
10-26-2007, 07:39 AM
agreed on the stalker thing, but in a discussion about how good D3 tennis is, it always helps to have a frame of reference. I'm not saying to give out what years you played or your name, but naming the school helps people who also played at that level understand where you're coming from.