PDA

View Full Version : Trying Federer's String Setup.

Daniel Thomsen
10-20-2007, 11:01 AM
As the title says, Im going to try and string one of my raquets as Federer does it. That is, Luxilon Alu Power Rough as the cross string and Wilson Natural Gut as the main. This is quite a unique setup as most do it the opposite way....

I've never tried to use a different string as either the main or the cross. Always just strung my raquets with Alu Power Rough at 57 punds.

My question is, how hard should I string the main and cross string?

PS. For those who have already tried Feds setup, how did it play?

Thanks,
Daniel

brandx
10-20-2007, 01:03 PM
FYI - On the Masters Madrid broadcast, they said Fed's racquets were strung at 21.5kg. Of course, he may play with it freshly strung and that will make a difference for long term use.

Daniel Thomsen
10-20-2007, 02:17 PM
I wont string it as light as him. Since I string my raquets now at 57 pounds, I was just wondering if you guys would recommend the same tension wih a different string at the main? 57 punds both ways, or tighter/lighter at either the main or cross?

haerdalis
10-20-2007, 03:47 PM
So what is your racquet? He has a 90 sq in racquet. If you racquet is a 95 sq in racquet you could try something like 56-58 lbs on the mains and 50-52 lbs on the crosses.
Be advised though that you'll probably like it better not having poly in the crosses. It is fun to try of course.

Daniel Thomsen
10-20-2007, 05:40 PM
I play with the Wilson K Factor KSix-One 95.

So the general "rule" is that you string the tension on the crosses a bit lower than on the mains?

tbini87
10-20-2007, 06:10 PM
I play with the Wilson K Factor KSix-One 95.

So the general "rule" is that you string the tension on the crosses a bit lower than on the mains?

there is no rule, it is personal preference. you will get people doing crosses higher, crosses lower, and the same tension. since you are using feds set up, you should do it how he does it... haha.

shwetty[tennis]balls
10-20-2007, 06:11 PM
It totally depends on your style of play. Frankly I use close to the same set-up as Fed, with the exception that I string my crosses @ 58lbs, and my mains @ 60lbs. It just works for me. I don't have the finesse that Fed has(obviously), so I crank up the tension, as I have a real powerful and full swing with a lot of weight. I am, however, doing a lot of work. I might suggest starting out w/ the tension you normally use, and lose two lbs or so in the alu power(due to stiffness), and then regulate from there, changing only one factor at a time. I think you'll find this set-up really nice if you're willing to shell out the dough. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way! Best of luck!

jasoncho92
10-21-2007, 07:08 PM
balls;1822584']It totally depends on your style of play. Frankly I use close to the same set-up as Fed, with the exception that I string my crosses @ 58lbs, and my mains @ 60lbs. It just works for me. I don't have the finesse that Fed has(obviously), so I crank up the tension, as I have a real powerful and full swing with a lot of weight. I am, however, doing a lot of work. I might suggest starting out w/ the tension you normally use, and lose two lbs or so in the alu power(due to stiffness), and then regulate from there, changing only one factor at a time. I think you'll find this set-up really nice if you're willing to shell out the dough. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way! Best of luck!
Seems like you dont know how the string power system works lol. High tension is LOWER power and lower tension is HIGHER power for future references. And when i used fed's setup on my friends racket (which he got for free + a bag of luxilon original when tennis-warehouse got his order mixed up) i didnt really like it

BreakPoint
10-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Seems like you dont know how the string power system works lol. High tension is LOWER power and lower tension is HIGHER power for future references. And when i used fed's setup on my friends racket (which he got for free + a bag of luxilon original when tennis-warehouse got his order mixed up) i didnt really like it
I think he's got it right. He's saying he needs to string tighter because he has a powerful swing so he need a lower power setup from his stringbed to control all of his power.

shwetty[tennis]balls
10-21-2007, 07:32 PM
What the hell are you talking about. Of course I know that higher tension= less power and more control- and lower tension=more power and less control. Did I ever mention anything that negates this. For future reference, learn to read and try to improve your comprehension skills. You probably don't know that Fed strings his racquets at around 53lbs-55lbs, depending on several different factors. the fact that I string mine all the way up, for me, means that I crush the hell out of the ball. It also means that I just have to work that much harder every time I strike the ball. Federer's amazing touch enables him the power he wants to have accsess to, without having to really crush the ball every time. He lets the lower tension help him out with it. He's also so accurate that when he does crush the ball, it doesn't go flying long or wide. It just seems to me that you either think I don't know what I'm talking about, or you just have really poor comprehension skills. Besides the reason you probably didn't like fed's set up is probably because YOU don't understand how it works-

jasoncho92
10-21-2007, 07:56 PM
balls;1824789']What the hell are you talking about. Of course I know that higher tension= less power and more control- and lower tension=more power and less control. Did I ever mention anything that negates this. For future reference, learn to read and try to improve your comprehension skills. You probably don't know that Fed strings his racquets at around 53lbs-55lbs, depending on several different factors. the fact that I string mine all the way up, for me, means that I crush the hell out of the ball. It also means that I just have to work that much harder every time I strike the ball. Federer's amazing touch enables him the power he wants to have accsess to, without having to really crush the ball every time. He lets the lower tension help him out with it. He's also so accurate that when he does crush the ball, it doesn't go flying long or wide. It just seems to me that you either think I don't know what I'm talking about, or you just have really poor comprehension skills. Besides the reason you probably didn't like fed's set up is probably because YOU don't understand how it works-
I actually knew all of that but i kinda skimmed and didnt read that you hit hard and fast. I also mistranslated finesse so i put power instead of skill in what i was understanding. And when i said the tension thing, i didnt mean it in any degrading way or anything, i was just trying to inform since i misunderstood what i read. Sorry for the misunderstanding

EDIT// You really need to calm down by the way. Even if i meant to be mean with what i said, i dont think its worth the time to type the whole explanation you typed

bertrevert
10-21-2007, 08:02 PM
balls;1824789']You probably don't know that Fed strings his racquets at around 53lbs-55lbs, depending on several different factors. -

Cannot for the life of me think where I read it but I do think I read that Fed works with different tensions for different surfaces. So is it all low, or is it all low with a little bit this way or that eg. +/- 2lbs depending on the surface?

Or does he go further and judge it on I imagine things like surface, opponent, humidity, elevation, how he feels on the day? What makes you vary what you have in there???

To the OP
Is it the 18 x 20 K Factor KSix-One 95?

jasoncho92
10-21-2007, 08:09 PM
I forgot to write that up too lol. But from what ive read, although they all varied, fed uses less than 55 in almost all cases. Ill try and find the link

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/priority1.html

Nevermind lol, it says 50-55 but the last time i saw the actually tension he used, it was 48 lbs

shwetty[tennis]balls
10-21-2007, 08:19 PM
I actually knew all of that but i kinda skimmed and didnt read that you hit hard and fast. I also mistranslated finesse so i put power instead of skill in what i was understanding. And when i said the tension thing, i didnt mean it in any degrading way or anything, i was just trying to inform since i misunderstood what i read. Sorry for the misunderstanding

EDIT// You really need to calm down by the way. Even if i meant to be mean with what i said, i dont think its worth the time to type the whole explanation you typed

No worries, mate!

shwetty[tennis]balls
10-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Cannot for the life of me think where I read it but I do think I read that Fed works with different tensions for different surfaces. So is it all low, or is it all low with a little bit this way or that eg. +/- 2lbs depending on the surface?

Or does he go further and judge it on I imagine things like surface, opponent, humidity, elevation, how he feels on the day? What makes you vary what you have in there???

To the OP
Exactly,all of these things come into play for him. It would be nice to be that gifted and that rich to be able to afford a different racquet for your different moods. All of us commoners just have to rely on our ability to adapt our play. Read the link to Priority One's article posted above, it gives great insight.

jasoncho92
10-21-2007, 08:34 PM
I wonder what it would be like to have so many different set ups at will then just go to having a single set up. Must suck lol

LPShanet
10-22-2007, 02:06 AM
As the title says, Im going to try and string one of my raquets as Federer does it. That is, Luxilon Alu Power Rough as the cross string and Wilson Natural Gut as the main. This is quite a unique setup as most do it the opposite way....

I've never tried to use a different string as either the main or the cross. Always just strung my raquets with Alu Power Rough at 57 punds.

Thanks,
Daniel

I like the setup a lot...I've played with it quite a bit. As far as tension goes, string the Luxilon about 2-4 lbs lower than the gut, so that the effective tension is about the same...that's always the goal.

fastdunn
10-22-2007, 10:20 AM

It played like a dream initially. I had a zoning experience and left my opponents speechless.

But its playing chracteristics rapidly changed in about few hours of playing. I assume it's because Luxilon losing tension rapidly.

NoBadMojo
10-22-2007, 10:25 AM

Thanks,
Daniel

Daniel,
Gut mains with Poly crosses is no longer unusual/unique at all. I dont recommend a setup like this unless you dont have a feel for quickly dropping performance....for those who do, they typically find a setup like this pays optimally for maybe an hour or two and then quickly plays like crap well before the strings break. pros dont care...many of them switch to a fresh stringjob every 9 games or so

anthony_samson
10-22-2007, 12:20 PM
NoBadMojo,

I notice you use the Klip Legend M/ Isospeed Pro x. Could you tell me the tension that works best for each string? Your preference.

NoBadMojo
10-22-2007, 12:39 PM
NoBadMojo,

I notice you use the Klip Legend M/ Isospeed Pro x. Could you tell me the tension that works best for each string? Your preference.

sure..The bulk of my experience with this setup has been in a dnx9. I strung the mains at 57-59 depending and the x's at 61-62. The iso string I was using suggested to string 10% tighter. I've found you get some of the poly action with this setup and not the downsides..the setup plays wel until it breaks and is very comfortable. i've got lots of people very happily using this setup. when i start using it in the becker11 I will drop the tension as that is an 18m's stringbed

smirker
10-23-2007, 04:49 AM

Also its been proven in tests not to be true. the tension merely affects the lauch angle of the ball off the strings, not the speed of the ball. Lower tension = higher launch angle, thus the perception that there is more power at lower tensions.

smirker
10-23-2007, 04:51 AM

To the OP

and different opponents!

LPShanet
10-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Also its been proven in tests not to be true. the tension merely affects the lauch angle of the ball off the strings, not the speed of the ball. Lower tension = higher launch angle, thus the perception that there is more power at lower tensions.

You beat me to the punch. Nice work. Completely correct.

bsandy
10-23-2007, 09:55 AM

This is not true . . .

So . . . You're telling me if I hit the ball with a 2x4, (weighted the same as a tennis racquet) I'm going to get the same power ?

Yes. There are too many factors to just say "lower your tension, and you'll get more power". Looser strings DO gennerally provide more energy returned to the ball.

. . . Bud

fastdunn
10-23-2007, 10:04 AM
As I recall, Physics and Technology of Tennis by Brody et al. said difference in tension does affect power output a little bit but more prominant difference was in the reflection angle of the ball.

LPShanet
10-23-2007, 11:57 AM
This is not true . . .

So . . . You're telling me if I hit the ball with a 2x4, (weighted the same as a tennis racquet) I'm going to get the same power ?

Yes. There are too many factors to just say "lower your tension, and you'll get more power". Looser strings DO gennerally provide more energy returned to the ball.

. . . Bud

Sorry, Bud, but much as it seems that way, the physics turn out to prove otherwise. This has now been tested in many labs. A 2x4 is a different issue, because wood has a different elasticity than tennis string...but it's TENSION we're talking about, not elasticity. And as earlier posters pointed out, it now turns out that tension has far less effect on power than people assumed for years. The actual difference in ball speed is essentially so negligible as to be unmeasurable. The wood 2x4 can't be swung as fast as a racquet, has a difference weight/mass, swingweight, etc. so is irrelevant to the argument. But back to your statement, energy return is the SAME for lower tensions assuming all other factors (string, racquet, etc.) are the same. Time to update the knowledge.

bsandy
10-23-2007, 12:38 PM
tension has far less effect on power than people assumed for years

I was arguing the "nada"

LPShanet
10-23-2007, 03:08 PM
I was arguing the "nada"

Yes, and you weren't right. The amounts they talked about were:

a. not statistically significant
and
b. not perceptible even if the most extreme cases

There is nada practical difference.

smirker
10-24-2007, 06:32 AM
Sorry, Bud, but much as it seems that way, the physics turn out to prove otherwise. This has now been tested in many labs. A 2x4 is a different issue, because wood has a different elasticity than tennis string...but it's TENSION we're talking about, not elasticity. And as earlier posters pointed out, it now turns out that tension has far less effect on power than people assumed for years. The actual difference in ball speed is essentially so negligible as to be unmeasurable. The wood 2x4 can't be swung as fast as a racquet, has a difference weight/mass, swingweight, etc. so is irrelevant to the argument. But back to your statement, energy return is the SAME for lower tensions assuming all other factors (string, racquet, etc.) are the same. Time to update the knowledge.

Thanks for the props. I was merely stating what has been established as fact in the lab not my own subjective conjecture which Brandy was trying to counter with. The 2x4 analogy as you say has no bearing whatsoever on the reality which is..... Lower tension does not increase power!!!

hyogen
03-13-2008, 01:17 PM
i want to give this a try myself.. won't the luxilon crosses cut up the natural gut mains really quickly?

here's a link someone else gave in a different post: http://www.colinthestringer.com/pros-strings/

55/52 eh?

hyogen
03-14-2008, 12:33 AM
balls;1822584']It totally depends on your style of play. Frankly I use close to the same set-up as Fed, with the exception that I string my crosses @ 58lbs, and my mains @ 60lbs. It just works for me. I don't have the finesse that Fed has(obviously), so I crank up the tension, as I have a real powerful and full swing with a lot of weight. I am, however, doing a lot of work. I might suggest starting out w/ the tension you normally use, and lose two lbs or so in the alu power(due to stiffness), and then regulate from there, changing only one factor at a time. I think you'll find this set-up really nice if you're willing to shell out the dough. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way! Best of luck!

i'm gonna try out your setup instead of Fed's shwetty. I'm sure you're closer to Feds finesse than I. And then when my strings lose tension, as luxilon and Wilson NXT both tend to lose tension quickly, maybe I'll get a glimpse of what Federer feels.

hyogen
03-14-2008, 11:19 PM

what racquet do you use shwetty? what head size also?

I think I'm gonna go with your setup this time. babolat VS natural gut mains at 60lbs...and luxilon rough crosses at 58lbs. this is for a Midplus pure storm tour.

damn that's an expensive setup...

BallBeemer
03-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Beware, if you don't have any string savers in your racquet then the polys will "saw" through the natural gut.