PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Henin?

backhander
03-18-2004, 08:07 PM
Henin, to me, is somewhat shady as a sportswoman. I dunno, I mean I had already forgiven her with the "hand" thing at the French Open. And I overlooked the accusations of her taking injury timeouts during matches. But she was today defending her coach coaching her in the middle of her match against Kusnetsova.

I mean, she admitted during her interview that her coach was yelling out for her to go to net more and be aggressive (which is obvious coaching during a match) yet she was upset that she got a warning for it. What's the deal with that? An offense was made, you got a warning, what is there to be upset about?

Here's her quote;

"It's the first time for me and the first for my coach," Henin-Harnenne said.

"I think everyone is doing it. Its doesn't have an effect on the game and I was a little upset (by the warning)."

I dunno, I just find her complaining about this to be kind of annoying.

On a second note, do you guys think her pulling out of the NASDAQ tournament had atleast a little bit to do with Serena coming back at that tournament? I know her reasoning is that she wants to concentrate on clay. But I think she doesn't want to risk a possibility that she could lose to Serena (which could be a good possibility) cause if she does, it would bring her confidence down. Considering I would give Serena the edge on hardcourts when against Henin, I think Henin might have had that in the back of her mind. Plus I think Henin would have a way bigger chance of initially beating Serena on clay. If that's the case, that's kind of screwed up. But, that's just me giving an idea.

What do you guys think?

James Brown
03-18-2004, 09:22 PM
you know man, i used to like her..but now shes becoming real freakin lame. like vs clijsters at the aussie, she called the ball out, pointed it out to the umpire and got to umpire to overule, although it was in and she saw it... thats pretty lame...shes becoming a serena, prima donna who thinks because shes #1 and won a couple slams that everyone should bow to her. Sad. Its fine though, women's tennis is so damn lame anyway, i couldnt care less if serena comes back. ***** vs ***** , battle of the grunts and random big swings.

I woudlnt be surprised if she was scared of serena, henin ****ed her off is like 1/4 her size, the gremlin.

Pyro
03-18-2004, 10:09 PM
My history teacher is a huge tennis fan, and for a political cartoon on pearl harbor and the manhattan project, I showed the pearl harbor incident as jhh hitting a 1hb down the line for a winner, and the a-bomb on hiroshima and nagasaki as the serena stare and then i showed a puzzled jhh face showing the japanese withdraw from the war, it was hilarious, i got an A on it and I think it was pretty accurate. JHH really is shady, she has all these random coincidences, I remember the first match I saw her in vs. clijsters(come to think about it, probably the only match ive seen, its deja vu every time) I wanted clijsters to win because I thought she was bsing her injuries, and then the french open thing was pretyt blatantly obvious. Although I didn't like Serena before (im too liberal for my own good, go underdog!) i felt sorry for her during the french open, a champion booed off of center court, now im glad serena can come back, i miss the serena stare.

Deuce
03-18-2004, 10:15 PM
Name me a professional coach/player combination who don't coach during a match.

Cypo
03-18-2004, 11:20 PM
I had to laugh as Svetlana started coming back in the first set and JHH started holding up her hand when receiving. ANYTHING to bug you opponent, eh ?... but her asking the server to wait....

Cypo
03-18-2004, 11:47 PM
Pyro - I have to say this, although it's not nice, I mean it honestly and not to belittle.

I imagine that your project was a lot more involved than what you have presented here. Your depiction of the events of the second world war here, however, is horrifyingly superficial and partisan. I am more than a little shocked at a comparison of the Serena Stare with the dropping of atomic bombs. Aside from trivialising something which should under no circumstances be underestimated, the necessity of the bombs to end the war is, to say the least, controversial, There is evidence that the decision to use them had more to do with scientific research than warfare. Ask your teacher, if he hasn't mentioned this.

To give a little perspective, the horrors of 9/11 were NOTHING, NOTHING in comparison to Hiroshima/Nagasaki.

Maybe it's because those events seem long ago and far away, so let me ask you, would you feel comfortable comparing JHH's backhand to the attack on the twin towers ?

Grimjack
03-19-2004, 01:40 AM
I had to laugh as Svetlana started coming back in the first set and JHH started holding up her hand when receiving. ANYTHING to bug you opponent, eh ?... but her asking the server to wait....

Holding up the hand till you're ready to return happens dozens of times just about every match. Both players did quite a bit of it in that match. Agassi does it constantly. In general, it's accepted and acceptable, as long as it's not overdone or abused.

Camilio Pascual
03-19-2004, 03:23 AM
It's even more acceptable if you admit to it when asked, unlike Grease Hand's previous behaviour. Deuce, we CAN name who has been caught cheating. She's coming off as one greasy tennis player.

baseliner
03-19-2004, 03:52 AM
"The Hand got caught yesterday and what was her reaction? Blame the official who caught her. Not a denial of cheating (coaching) but question the propriety of the official who warned her. Sadly she epitomizes the win at all costs attitude in sports today. The hand is ok because she won. Bathroom breaks and injury timeouts to stop your opponent are ok because they worked. Blatant coaching ok because everyone else is doing it. Add the hand to a growing list of players I am not a fan of.

nomalt
03-19-2004, 06:20 AM
Baseliner -

I love it! "The Hand" is so funny! From now on, the initials are JHHH!

joe sch
03-19-2004, 07:41 AM
I like Baseliner's JHHH for her hand gestures, it could be worse, JHHF for finger gestures :lol:

Ballmachine
03-19-2004, 08:18 AM
Deuce, I can tell you that Pete Sampras never got coached during any match in his career, outside of Davis Cup where it is legal. Pete never even looked at his coach, girlfriend, or parents (when they did show) during a match. That's the way I like it. One on one, once you step between the lines. Nobody can help you out there but yourself. That's one of the many reasons that tennis is so appealing to me.

For Justine to admit that she was coached, and then defend it by saying everyone does it, is pathetic. If she was a true champion, she would abide by the rules and let her talent speak for her, and not succumb to what everybody else does.

edge
03-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Yeah, everyone does do it. I remember before he was injured, Hass said he should fired his 2 coaches as they didn't help him during the match which he won after struggling.

rommil
03-19-2004, 09:20 AM
Karolj Seles always looked like he was just a spectator of the game when Monica played. Same thing goes with Paradorn's dad.Can't really argue if they did coach while they were on the stands or not.

The tennis guy
03-19-2004, 09:52 AM
This is just getting too old. When you don't like someone, you will pick on anything she does. Too bad, she just keeps winning, and those of you can just whine and whine.

As of "On a second note, do you guys think her pulling out of the NASDAQ tournament had atleast a little bit to do with Serena coming back at that tournament? I know her reasoning is that she wants to concentrate on clay. But I think she doesn't want to risk a possibility that she could lose to Serena (which could be a good possibility) cause if she does, it would bring her confidence down. Considering I would give Serena the edge on hardcourts when against Henin, I think Henin might have had that in the back of her mind. Plus I think Henin would have a way bigger chance of initially beating Serena on clay. If that's the case, that's kind of screwed up. But, that's just me giving an idea. "

Well, she never pulls out of Miami. She never entered Miami in the first place. She only answered in the press conference why she didn't enter. If she were scared of Serena or Venus, she wouldn't have entered Doha and Dubai because at least one Williams entered either one of them. If you know professional tennis, you should know their schedules were made months ago. If Henin had entered Miami, she would have to play 8 weeks in a roll since she played at Doha, Dubai, Indian Wells, and Amelia Island, Family Circle after Miami.

The good thing about her is she is never scared of anyone, anywhere. That attitude carries her to top. That's the same attitude Seles used to have when she was on top in early 1990s. She was criticized on everything she did back then. Seles got the emotional support from fans and players only after her stab.

polakosaur
03-19-2004, 10:08 AM
deuce

i'll name you a player/coach combo who don't get coaching during a match

FEDERER

rommil
03-19-2004, 10:16 AM
They might start giving Federer a warning once he is heard talking to himself on what to do.

Free_Martha
03-19-2004, 10:27 AM
I woudlnt be surprised if she was scared of serena

Seems to me that it's Serena who's afraid of Justine, as she should be. JHH is one slam away from her Golden Slam and Serena, too busy shopping and going to fashion parties, doesn't look keen on meeting up with JHH again anytime soon.

Tennisute
03-19-2004, 11:28 AM
I sat on the outer courts at Indian Wells for 10hrs each day Sat and Sun. Loit was getting spanked and sitting next to her coach/dad/brother /whatever there was some serious muttering going on! Nothing obvious but I'm sure signals are sent.

Its still up to the player, and bottom line these pros HATE to lose, can rip off 4 points in a flash and will do what it takes to win.

X Man Malisse beefed with the ballboys in his first game, it was embarrassing, poor kid watching his hero acting strange. Each player questions calls ala basketball, but a lot quieter than I thought.

My problem is pros never apologize. Santoro spits at a linesman at the Aussie open, he could have later just walked up and said hey I'm human, sorry.

Most coaches to their credit just sat there, supporting their player. On a small court w/ 50 people the coach stands out.

galain
03-19-2004, 04:56 PM
I watched JHH play down here a few years ago before she became a "name". It was a first or second round match against Sarah Pitkowski of France. Her cheating is not a new thing - she was definitely trying it on even then. Pitkowski had asked the umpire to issue a warning for poor sportmanship (is there such a thing?) during the second set - and not without justification either.

She certainly didn't make any friends amongst the crowd that saw that match.

Phil
03-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Cypro wrote:

...the necessity of the bombs to end the war is, to say the least, controversial,

Yeah, sure it's-"controversial"... for the side that had the bombs dropped on them.

There is evidence that the decision to use them had more to do with scientific research than warfare.

Given that the US was still at WAR when it dropped the bombs, and was preparing for a full scale invasion of Japan at the time, how do you figure? Where is this "evidence"? In some left-wing, anti-American Euro-rag? Don't want to get into a lenghty discussion on the perceived "wrongs" of WW II (gee, where WAS that little guy with the mustache from...oh, AUSTRIA), but drop me an e-mail if you have the time and point me in the direction of this "evidence" you cite-I'm intrigued. No obligation to do so, of course...just curious.

Deuce
03-20-2004, 01:29 AM
I've sat both with and right next to coaches during pro matches. There is always coaching going on. How blatant or subtle, and how attentive the player is to it, varies. But, believe me - it's a constant.

Polakosaur - touché.

Stinkdyr
03-23-2004, 11:51 AM
the Hand, Gremlin. awesome nicknames being generated here. and I like watching JHH's game. can't say I would like her antics.

Cypo
03-24-2004, 04:20 AM
Phil - check your mail

Free_Martha
03-24-2004, 11:49 AM
Justine HH is a champion and is here to stay, deal with it.

Oh, and how conveeeeeenient that Serena would make her "come back" at IW when she knew JHH would not be there (or any of the other top seeds for that matter).