PDA

View Full Version : Is this a myth?

matt.jc
10-20-2007, 12:09 PM
That intermediate players will have problems playing with racquests that are around 12 oz and up?

kingdaddy41788
10-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Yes. Anyone has trouble playing with a racquet they're uncomfortable with. But to say all intermediate players will have problems with heavier racquets is well... ********.

ChocolatePie
10-20-2007, 12:34 PM
...I'm PRETTY sure I'm an intermediate player and I love playing with the NSix-One 90. Last time I checked that was over 12 oz.

Michelangelo
10-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Me too, especially for baseline. The weight makes baseline much easier for me. (The only situation I play with racquet lighter than 12oz is when it's an oversize.)

meowmix
10-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Definately a myth. Some of the beginners around here start out with really heavy rackets (basically just hand me downs from their parents' days). After a bit of training, they're fine.

Me, I'm about a 3.5 player. I can easily handle a k 6-1.

matt.jc
10-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Alright good. I was worried that the speedport tour would be too heavy but a 3.5 is my level and you can handle a K 6-1 easily so thats good to know.

Joker
10-20-2007, 03:35 PM
It depends on your fitness and what you been using before, not your skill level.

J011yroger
10-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Hey man, did you happen to read my guide to racquet selection? It is highly reccomended before you buy/demo any new racquets.

It also deals with players ability to play with heavy frames based on a variety of factors.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=160692

J

raiden031
10-20-2007, 05:35 PM
I think it has to do more with your technique than your NTRP level. For instance, I am very skeptical about what people say about racquets. I have two mid racquets, one of which is 12.3oz strung. I also play with a Mid+ that is about 10.6 strung. I will shank a few less with the mid+, but I will also hit more balls long with it than with the mid. Overall, I have never noticed a difference in my match performance between mid or mid+ racquets.

If someone can generate alot of racquet head speed due to their stroke technique, then they shouldn't have a problem with 12 oz, but they still might prefer less. And there are 3.0s who can generate plenty of racquet head speed, its controlling the shots and doing it consistently that often keeps people at that level.

I actually like the way a heavy mid racquet feels better, but I choose to play with a Mid+ because it is a bit more forgiving. Even though I'm not certain that it really matters that much.