PDA

View Full Version : Hitting of back foot, good or bad?

Teh_pwnerer
10-20-2007, 01:23 PM
See, im not really sure that i hit completely off my back foot, i do what FYB (Fuzzy Yellow Balls) shows in its forehand lessons, i pivot and push with my back leg, but my weight isnt entirely on the front foot, today i was getting pretty deep spinny balls this way, but when a a short ball comes i step into the ball with a closed stance and weight on front foot.

Am i doing it the right way?.
Advice please:)

Teh_pwnerer
10-20-2007, 02:58 PM
comeon, ne1?

Rickson
10-20-2007, 03:20 PM
See, im not really sure that i hit completely off my back foot, i do what FYB (Fuzzy Yellow Balls) shows in its forehand lessons, i pivot and push with my back leg, but my weight isnt entirely on the front foot, today i was getting pretty deep spinny balls this way, but when a a short ball comes i step into the ball with a closed stance and weight on front foot.

Am i doing it the right way?.
Advice please:)

When it comes to forehands, hitting off the back foot is good. When it comes to backhands, hitting off the back foot is bad.

Teh_pwnerer
10-20-2007, 04:38 PM
When it comes to forehands, hitting off the back foot is good. When it comes to backhands, hitting off the back foot is bad.

I ALWAYS bend my knees and transfer all the weight onto the front foot.
Thanks for the reply.:D

wihamilton
10-20-2007, 04:56 PM
pwnerer,

On short balls you prob want to hit w/a neutral stance (sideways to the net) -- a closed stance is where you step across your body w/your front foot (and you don't want to hit forehands like this). The footwork we taught is for a generic forehand. There are certainly situations when you want to hit w/a different stance.

WildVolley
10-20-2007, 05:48 PM
The modern technique forehand hit from an open stance usually relies on loading the hitting side leg and then using it to create a hopping torque into the shot.

Someone with good timing, like Federer, can create surprising pace using this technique, often while moving away from the ball!

brentcorrigan07
10-20-2007, 07:02 PM
I've tried doing this and I have to say, it works great when running around your backhand for a forehand.

I guess it induces a straight arm and more racquet speed.

Teh_pwnerer
10-20-2007, 07:39 PM
pwnerer,

On short balls you prob want to hit w/a neutral stance (sideways to the net) -- a closed stance is where you step across your body w/your front foot (and you don't want to hit forehands like this). The footwork we taught is for a generic forehand. There are certainly situations when you want to hit w/a different stance.

Yeah, on short balls id o neutral, srry for the mistake;)

junbumkim
10-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Ieally, you never want to hit off a backfoot, regardless of fh, or bh
You want to load your weight onto your dominant leg, and then transfer it to your non dominant leg on your forehand and vice versa on your left hand.

However, there are situation when you have to hit off backoff, passing shot sometimes...

Teh_pwnerer
10-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Ieally, you never want to hit off a backfoot, regardless of fh, or bh
You want to load your weight onto your dominant leg, and then transfer it to your non dominant leg on your forehand and vice versa on your left hand.

However, there are situation when you have to hit off backoff, passing shot sometimes...

Well it works very well for me, today my balls were so penetrating and spinny (new balls yay!) that i was on the offensive the whole game..

junbumkim
10-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Well it works very well for me, today my balls were so penetrating and spinny (new balls yay!) that i was on the offensive the whole game..

Hitting off backfoot means that you are not getting any weight behind the shot. In other words, it means there is no proper weight transfer in your stroke, and you are mostly hitting it your arms.

You can probably hit well with this sort of technique, it's not ideal and should never be recommended (except on a few exceptions).

If THIS is what you are doing, you should work on your weight transfer and you will improve your stroke even more.

Don't fix sth that's working can be misleading. You can always fine tune your strokes....Of course it needs to be done carefully.

Teh_pwnerer
10-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Hitting off backfoot means that you are not getting any weight behind the shot. In other words, it means there is no proper weight transfer in your stroke, and you are mostly hitting it your arms.

You can probably hit well with this sort of technique, it's not ideal and should never be recommended (except on a few exceptions).

If THIS is what you are doing, you should work on your weight transfer and you will improve your stroke even more.

Don't fix sth that's working can be misleading. You can always fine tune your strokes....Of course it needs to be done carefully.

okk ill check it out nxt time i play, Thanks

GGForehander
10-28-2007, 10:02 PM
I would just like to reply to your question in regards to the forehand. I like what jumbumkim said. Don't listen to other people who says closed stance is not desirable, it works just as well or better if you hit that naturally. I play junior tennis over here in Australia on a high level, so I can tell you the goods and bads pretty easily. In general the modern day tennis is taught to using the backfoot, but that is like NRL taking HGH, it's VERY damaging to your body and right hip while enhancing the performance - the power of the ball you struck (I'm talking about the forehand). I won't go through with the strong details, but instead read this article:

http://www.revolutionarytennis.com/rebuttalforehand2.html

This was an article which was printed out for our academy last week, read through it and you'll understand what I am talking about.