PDA

View Full Version : Combination of Pushing and Blasting?

racquet_jedi
10-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Just wondering, if you ever happened to play someone who's style was a combination of pushing and blasting, what would you do to win? To me, this sorta seems like a deadly combination...

WildVolley
10-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Someone who can accurately blast, by definition, is not a pusher. I think the player you are describing should be defined as a junk-baller.

Junk-ballers can be very difficult opponents to play. They'll deliberately feed you strange spins and little pace. If your return is weak or hesitant, they'll step up and hit a winner. A good junk-baller has the discipline and intelligence to wait for good opportunities instead of attempting to hit winners in bad situations. It is worth experimenting with this playing style.

To win? Use a similar strategy you'd use against a pusher, while realizing that they're more dangerous when fed short balls. In my case, I'd hit to the opponent's weakness, take away time, and approach the net for put aways. I'd make sure to aggressively move to the pushes and not attempt to hit winners off them unless they were in my strike zone. Move them around the court when they push and make sure to hit deep enough that you don't provide them with many easy winners.

Hot Sauce
10-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Pushing and blasting would kind of be an oxymoron.

downdaline
10-21-2007, 09:00 AM
I think what u are referring to is a simple style used by most experienced pros - which is, rally with ur opponent with shallow shots (shots that bounce on or around the service line), wait until he lingers inside court too long and then just simply hit the next shot deep and fast.

If it is, then it's kinda simple. Be more aggressive on ur returns, such that he will keep pushing shallow shots and wont be able to hit his finishing blast.

dacrymn
10-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Combination of Pushing and Blasting? That, i'm pretty sure, is know as Counter-Punching: Keeping it back until you have a chance to go offensive. The only defense against this is to be a aggressive constantly, and make it so they can't play defensively. Or you could push back, but then the game will be long and grueling. Your choice.

randomname
10-22-2007, 12:50 PM
I know exactly what your talking about, the guy would just sit on the baseline and push until I gave him a short ball and then just crank to approach shot which was usually either a winner or something he could volley away pretty easily

Seifersquall1
10-22-2007, 01:36 PM
It's called a counter-puncher. I think there's one person I played that is one. What I would do is play with angles and keep him/her off balanced, and then try to volley.

smoothtennis
10-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Yep...counter puncher. A very tough opponent.

Andres
10-23-2007, 10:24 AM
My dad is actually that kind of player. He's not quite a counterpuncher. He pushes (truly pushes, as in high moonball slice forehands and backhands) everytime when he's on the run, but he'll smack a forehand winner if he gets to the ball in perfect position.

Out of 10 strokes, 8 are high slice junk, and 2 cannonballs.

Richie Rich
10-23-2007, 10:48 AM
My dad is actually that kind of player. He's not quite a counterpuncher. He pushes (truly pushes, as in high moonball slice forehands and backhands) everytime when he's on the run, but he'll smack a forehand winner if he gets to the ball in perfect position.

Out of 10 strokes, 8 are high slice junk, and 2 cannonballs.

there is one guy i play that beats me 99% of the time when i play my regular agressive game. i have had most success using the style you mention - give him crap that is deep with no pace and wait for a good ball and hit a winner or approach shot. only way i can beat him

jasoncho92
10-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Pushing and blasting are opposites. Thats like saying i hit soft and hard at the same time

Alexandros
10-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Pushing and blasting are opposites. Thats like saying i hit soft and hard at the same time

Which you can do quite easily in a rally. Hit one shot hard and then the next one soft.

jasoncho92
10-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Damn i read the title only and interpreted differently than the OP meant. But i thought he mean do it at the EXACT same time, which is impossible. But i guess you could do a combo to throw the opponent off.

Plisken
10-23-2007, 09:04 PM
yea thats my play style but im still working on the down-the-line shot but I can hit a good angle when I get the chance

elee3
10-23-2007, 09:56 PM
Just wondering, if you ever happened to play someone who's style was a combination of pushing and blasting, what would you do to win? To me, this sorta seems like a deadly combination...

Thats the way I play most of the time. My default goal is just do whatever it takes to make it deep and hopefully not a shot where they can crush winners at will then I look for the one shot I know I can bash and make it in regularly. From there I'll stay aggressive if they return it but aren't in good position. If they returned it well and are in good position I'll probably go back to the default pushing game.

I usually lose to the aggressive player who doesn't commit millions of errors and self explodes or the ridiculously good pushers that have really good speed or court coverage. The ridiculously good pushers are the ones that bother me. Some how to me, it feels like the better pusher wins most of the time lol.

fuzzfactory
10-24-2007, 03:57 AM
yeah that seems like the typical counter-puncher. what i do is i usually approach the net after a deep hard shot, forcing them to either make a very good passing shot or a weak shot which i could put away.