PDA

View Full Version : Novice Player's Characteristics

crazy8tiger
10-20-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm preparing for my novice tournament next weekend but I've been hearing different things about how novice players are. One thing I've heard is that novice players are beginners, have average strokes, etc. Another is that novice can be up to 3.0 players. Which of these are correct, or are both of them right?

WildVolley
10-20-2007, 03:39 PM
I'd rank most novice players with 3.0s. However, there are 3.0s out there who have been playing a long time but never really worked on their form.

Among the better players, I'd expect some pushers, who will use their athletic ability to run down all sorts of balls but just dink or lob the ball back into play. They won't be as worried about a 3.0 killing a short ball for a winner. At this level, pure foot speed and eye-hand coordination can often win. Good luck.

crazy8tiger
10-20-2007, 09:16 PM
I will be in the Boy's 14 Singles and I don't turn thirteen until the day after the tournament so I'm hoping that I don't get a disadvantage by probably being the youngest there.

Seifersquall1
10-20-2007, 10:27 PM
I'll be in the Boy's 12 singles novice tournament next week and I'm so nervous :( I think the first is right, but it depends on the person.

Seifersquall1
10-20-2007, 10:29 PM
I will be in the Boy's 14 Singles and I don't turn thirteen until the day after the tournament so I'm hoping that I don't get a disadvantage by probably being the youngest there.
You might not be the only one that is under 13 that will be playing. Good luck with your tournament.