PDA

View Full Version : kevlar question

Iluvsafin
10-20-2007, 04:27 PM
are there any strings available to give you the feel of kevlar without the pain?
i am using kevlar mains and a poly cross, getting great results but it's killing ,my arm. any suggestions.

Steve Huff
10-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Don't risk permanent injury. Learn to play with something softer. If they have too much power, get a less powerful racket. For every thing you gain, you lose something. In this case, you're gaining feel at the expense of arm safety. Which is more important? It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

lostinamerica
10-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Get rid of the poly. That will help tremendously.

ArvinC
10-21-2007, 11:07 AM
...quite a stiff playing set-up there. I, too, am a big fan of Kevlar ever since the 90's. However, using Kevlar with poly is probably too stiff for anyone's good.

Get rid of the poly. That will help tremendously.

This would be my recommendation as well. You can keep the Kevlar mains, but try using something a bit softer like syn gut, multi or natural gut. For more playability with a similar Kevlar feel, go with hybrid with poly as your mains. You'll get a lot more playability and pop, but will have something that will be a bit easier on the arm and won't be too unlike what you're used to now.

ArvinC

jasoncho92
10-21-2007, 07:13 PM
What are you guys talking about? Kevlar is known to be harsher on the arm than poly

Steve Huff
10-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Uh, Jason, I think that's what we're all trying to tell him.

jasoncho92
10-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Damn it lol, my vision is too blurrly to read properly now. But anyways, if you wanna keep the kevlar, try lowering tension and changing the poly to a multifilament

nousername
10-21-2007, 08:10 PM
are there any strings available to give you the feel of kevlar without the pain?
i am using kevlar mains and a poly cross, getting great results but it's killing ,my arm. any suggestions.
in high school, i'd break strings all the time, so i drifted toward kevlar. my stand by is forten thin blend. it's very thin, holds it tension well, and has great durability. it was the softest kevlar i have tried. it i ever actually let it go to the end, it was usually the cross that broke. i never had arm problems.

i'm now 9 yrs out of high school, and don't play that much... so now i'd like to start experimenting with multis until i find the best balance of feel, softness, and durability... and most importantly cost... =)

stirallyracer
10-21-2007, 09:04 PM
string at low tensions, and use forten thinblend, dunlop maxtouch 17, ashaway crossfire, prince problend, or any of those kevlar/synth gut hybrids. make sure you string low, and you'll be fine.

Iluvsafin
10-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys . I considered trying kevlar/klip legend.... i'll give it a try.