PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Stats- been bugging me for a while...

roundiesee
10-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Would appreciate some views concerning tennis stats we always see on TV re breakpoint conversion.
Say the score is 30-30 on your opponent's serve, and you then win the next point to go 30-40 up. You then win again and therefore broke your opponent's serve. So you had one breakpoint and converted it, and the breakpoint conversion rate is 100% (1 of 1).
Now say you played extremely well 2 games later on his serve again, and go up 0-40 (3 breakpoints) and then converted on the fisrt one. I would say that was even better compared to your opponent's previous service game because you broke him to love. HOWEVER, the stats would then show you converted 1 of 3 breakpoints, making your conversion rate now 33%. So even though you played a much better game to break at love, your breakpoint conversion percentage goes down.
This IMO is misleading. Can anyone comment, and if I'm wrong on this please do correct.
Thanks.

AdvocateTDV
10-20-2007, 04:46 PM
If my memory serves me right, break point percentages are calculated using the following formula:

Number of break points converted
----------------------------------------------- * 100 %
Number of break points actually played out

I don't believe the TV people are counting the break points that are not played (such as the love-40 situation you are describing).

Andres
10-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Would appreciate some views concerning tennis stats we always see on TV re breakpoint conversion.
Say the score is 30-30 on your opponent's serve, and you then win the next point to go 30-40 up. You then win again and therefore broke your opponent's serve. So you had one breakpoint and converted it, and the breakpoint conversion rate is 100% (1 of 1).
Now say you played extremely well 2 games later on his serve again, and go up 0-40 (3 breakpoints) and then converted on the fisrt one. I would say that was even better compared to your opponent's previous service game because you broke him to love. HOWEVER, the stats would then show you converted 1 of 3 breakpoints, making your conversion rate now 33%. So even though you played a much better game to break at love, your breakpoint conversion percentage goes down.
This IMO is misleading. Can anyone comment, and if I'm wrong on this please do correct.
Thanks.
If you break your opponent in your first BP (that is 0-40), the other two BP don't count. They don't count the BPs that are not played.

If you break at 30, your BP conversion rate is 1/1. If you break at love the next game, is 2/2, not 2/4 ;)

roundiesee
10-21-2007, 06:47 AM
OK, thanks Advocate and Andres, you've cleared my mind. Cheers!