PDA

View Full Version : [H]Choosing A Racquet

In)SpiRe
10-20-2007, 04:54 PM
Hi, im new to forums so if i do something wrong plz correct me.

But more to the point, I bought a kfactor (the one federer uses) and found it to be a bit too much for me and my hands. Im a varsity freshman, i work out, and the weights in different racquets are no prob (i can handle pretty much any racquet weight). Its not that i cant hit anything with it, its just that i dont feel like i can use it to its fullest potential. Im looking for a racquet that will help my game, and help to get to the level where i can compete with higher level people, and eventually move back up to my kfactor.
I am a baseline, topspin, power, groundstrokes type of player, im not sure about my NTRP rating (but i do believe its about 4.0-4.5), i go up to net only when i feel i can, and note that i am not really good net (in my opinion). If i get an easy shot to my face or something, i do put it away, but sometimes the passing shots are really difficult for me to get back over the net into a hard position for the other player. So i need a racquet that i can move around quickly for those passing shots. I have a one handed backhand and am looking to improve it, but im also looking for a racquet that will give my hands a little break (i got 3 blisters using the kfactor even with another grip on).
I am NOT a beginner and have been playing for years, but i really do feel like i can be so much better if i can use a racquet to fit my playing style.
Any help or suggestions will be appreciated :) .

Shashwat
10-20-2007, 04:58 PM
K95, sounds like you just need a bigger headsize.

In)SpiRe
10-20-2007, 05:08 PM
I would but $190 is a bit steep T.T
I dont mind if u suggest other brands though, or just other racquets.

Shashwat
10-20-2007, 05:18 PM
You can trade your K90 for a K95 on the boards here. Or general player frames i suggest are:

Dunlop Aerogel 200
Tecnifibre T-fight 320
Yonex RDS 001 MP

I would demo the K95 and if you like it, you can trade your K90 for a K95 here on the boards. Not to promote myself or anything but i have a post in the classified section looking for a K90 for my K95.

EDIT: Oh and you are looking for good player frames so the price is going to be a little steep. The best player frame for a cheap price is the Head Liquidmetal Radical. Give that a try, its only about 70-80 dollars.

In)SpiRe
10-20-2007, 05:36 PM
You can trade your K90 for a K95 on the boards here. Or general player frames i suggest are:

Dunlop Aerogel 200
Tecnifibre T-fight 320
Yonex RDS 001 MP

I would demo the K95 and if you like it, you can trade your K90 for a K95 here on the boards. Not to promote myself or anything but i have a post in the classified section looking for a K90 for my K95.

EDIT: Oh and you are looking for good player frames so the price is going to be a little steep. The best player frame for a cheap price is the Head Liquidmetal Radical. Give that a try, its only about 70-80 dollars.

Its not that i want to switch, i want to keep the k90 but i need a racquet thatll help me imporve so that i can feel that i can handle the k90 AND be good with it.
Also, money its that huge b/c my coach gives me a $60 discount, but those racquets that cost like $190-200 are a bit expensive even with the discounts.
And i know this sounds stupid, but im relying on respectable people here to recommend me to a good racquet, but w/o the demoing...

In)SpiRe
10-20-2007, 05:37 PM
oops i meant money ISNT that big a deal

J011yroger
10-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Have you read my guide to racquet selection?

I have been shamelessly promoting it all over the boards.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=160692

J

In)SpiRe
10-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Yes i have read your guide, and it was very good by the way, but i didnt feel like i really understood it... :[
im just looking for suggestions on my specific prferences.

tennismaster888
10-20-2007, 05:48 PM
a new prestige (microgel prestige pro) is coming out. maybe you should wait for that (although that may be pricey too :() but according to michael its supposed to be really good

In)SpiRe
10-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Well im REALLY considering switching to a Yonex RDS 001 MP. Any1 have one and suggests it??

tennismaster888
10-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Well im REALLY considering switching to a Yonex RDS 001 MP. Any1 have one and suggests it??

i demoed one a while ago and i hated it, especially on serves...

In)SpiRe
10-20-2007, 06:06 PM
any1 else try it?

tennismaster888
10-20-2007, 06:10 PM
any1 else try it?

haha were u looking for a more positive review??
i think a lot of people here like it....
not sure though...

In)SpiRe
10-20-2007, 06:14 PM
haha were u looking for a more positive review??
i think a lot of people here like it....
not sure though...

Yea the site has many good reviews, so i was hoping to get a good one here :)

tennismaster888
10-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Yea the site has many good reviews, so i was hoping to get a good one here :)

haha sry about that i dont really like yonex that much though so it might be a good racket if u like yonex :p
at least i tried =]

In)SpiRe
10-20-2007, 06:21 PM
haha sry about that i dont really like yonex that much though so it might be a good racket if u like yonex :p
at least i tried =]

yea thx for your contributions though ^.^, but im rly impatient on waiting for my racquet, which is why i dont rly like demoing. But i want a good racquet with a good brand that meets my style so i can stay with that certain racquet for a while.

In)SpiRe
10-20-2007, 06:27 PM
If any1 else have any personal experiences plz let me know.

tennismaster888
10-20-2007, 06:27 PM
yea thx for your contributions though ^.^, but im rly impatient on waiting for my racquet, which is why i dont rly like demoing. But i want a good racquet with a good brand that meets my style so i can stay with that certain racquet for a while.

no matter how impatient you are its really important to demo...
people can give all the suggestions in the world but its still your preference and decision
and your welcome =]

In)SpiRe
10-20-2007, 06:36 PM
no matter how impatient you are its really important to demo...
people can give all the suggestions in the world but its still your preference and decision
and your welcome =]

I didnt demo any kfactors, but i made adjustments very fast, and got acustomed to my k90. Im prob just gunna do the same thing w/ the yonex. I rly do want to improve and get better, but my impatients hinders me. But truthfully, i dont feel like any racquet can be bad for me, its just that sometimes im not good enough to handle it, or im good enough to move on.
My personality is a motivated type, and i believe i can get good with any type racquet. So ima go with yonex and ill keep u updated on how im doing with it once i get it. and thx again for the help.

tennismaster888
10-20-2007, 06:41 PM
I didnt demo any kfactors, but i made adjustments very fast, and got acustomed to my k90. Im prob just gunna do the same thing w/ the yonex. I rly do want to improve and get better, but my impatients hinders me. But truthfully, i dont feel like any racquet can be bad for me, its just that sometimes im not good enough to handle it, or im good enough to move on.
My personality is a motivated type, and i believe i can get good with any type racquet. So ima go with yonex and ill keep u updated on how im doing with it once i get it. and thx again for the help.

no matter how much im against that strategy i wish you luck and keep me updated =]
and your welcome again :p

dacrymn
10-20-2007, 07:11 PM
The RDS 001 MP? I have that. It's not bad at all. The power may seem a bit much after a while, but it's just technique, and it's REALLY easy to get spin. I mean REALLY easy, like you can hit any angle, anywhere. When i switched away, i couldn't do that anymore.

Serves are decent, but again, spin is easy. Power you won't find as much, but consistency and kick you will. Power is really accessible, as long as you put spin on it. Putting the ball away is no problem.

Maneuverability is also incredible, considering it's low swingweight. Volleys and reaction shots are good for this reason. It's a very good racket, actually, and like all yonex, it's build quality is excellent. I'm biased, of course, but at least think about it.

Shashwat
10-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Yonex is different though, they have a different shape than the normal ovals or o's. "Isometric." It's a good frame but depends if you like the shape and can get used to it, my friend plays with it and has improved vastly after switching to it (or maybe cause he went to NEWKS academy for 3 weeks). See if your coach has any Yonex racquets and if you are ok with the head shape, buy it (since you don't want to demo). But if price isn't a issue, i definately recommend the K95.

TheShaun
10-20-2007, 07:14 PM
t-fight 335...

In)SpiRe
10-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Thx for the tips, and the little personal experience dacrymn. making power is not isnt something i have trouble with, so im a little anxious to be getting it. But i have to wait till monday to let my coach order it for me so i can get the discount T.T

In)SpiRe
10-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Sorry for bringing this back, but i heard that the RDS 002 was better for me due to it being better for one handers, what do yall think?

weaver
10-21-2007, 10:53 AM
hey, i know where you're coming from in being impatient, but too be honest the best thing to do is demo some stix that will fit you're game. Obviously you'll be able to adjust to any raq, but wouldn't you rather use a rac that you can benifit from the start, then get into your 90? Any ways, i also like the 90 as well, but like you, i thought i wouldn't be able to handle it. Umm you might want to try fxp radical tour, which i liked a lot, but just had too much power for me. Currently I use Fxp prestige MP, which i like a lot so you might want to give that a try. Also the price are coming down on the flexpoints cause the new MG are coming out, but apparently the new MG prestige is suppose to be really nice.

sureshs
10-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Why not just keep playing with the K90 which will force you to get better because of its small sweetspot and low power and high weight?