PDA

View Full Version : Calling Mojo-Becker 11

Saxten
10-20-2007, 05:20 PM
I currently play with the volkl Gen 1 midplus which has been my raquet for about the last 3 years. I've played with/demoed a couple of other raquets but I always come back to the Gen 1. Is the Becker 11 Fairly similar to the Gen 1's ? Is the plow through comparable? I hit with a pretty good amount of spin ( and kinda rely on it) so the 18-20 string pattern concerns me a bit. I read the review and other postings from the forum and it seems like a raquet I might want to demo. The Gen 1's as you know are getting harder to find. Anything you could offer would be helpfull. Thanks, Mark

Shashwat
10-20-2007, 05:26 PM
We really need a "Ask NoBadMojo" thread. You shouldn't leave man. That is like commiting suicide because there are so many stupid f****s in this world (like bin laden etc).

except you arent really commiting suicide, but you get my point.

NoBadMojo
10-20-2007, 07:13 PM
We really need a "Ask NoBadMojo" thread. You shouldn't leave man. That is like commiting suicide because there are so many stupid f****s in this world (like bin laden etc).

except you arent really commiting suicide, but you get my point.

not to worry..i wont be committing racquet Seppuku anytime soon ;O thanks for the idea, but an ask Mojo thread wouldnt be appropriate I dont think and it would just be invaded by the people we are seeking to rid ourselves of

I currently play with the volkl Gen 1 midplus which has been my raquet for about the last 3 years. I've played with/demoed a couple of other raquets but I always come back to the Gen 1. Is the Becker 11 Fairly similar to the Gen 1's ? Is the plow through comparable? I hit with a pretty good amount of spin ( and kinda rely on it) so the 18-20 string pattern concerns me a bit. I read the review and other postings from the forum and it seems like a raquet I might want to demo. The Gen 1's as you know are getting harder to find. Anything you could offer would be helpfull. Thanks, Mark

I would say this should be a definite demo frame if you are considering a change. It is working out great for me, and I had a 5 year love affair w. the Gen1 with diversion to the dnx9 for a few months in between.

A big difference is in the swingweight if you are playing yours unmodified. The pick up weight may feel similar to your Gen1, but you should find it easier to swing. Yes. it has good plow through. I get a different sort of feel with the two racquets..the Gen1 feels less precise than the b11 presumably because of the less dense stringbed, but I dont feel as though I've lost any power with the B11. Spinwise my basic ralley ball is a flatter trajectory which hits a more penetrating ball and I like that my ralley ball spends less time in the air with the flatter trajectory. i dont have trouble hitting with more topspin as necessary however. In my case, I needed to hit with less spin and not more, but like to spin it more at times, so this worked out well..you'll have to see how you like the spin this frame puts out for yourself..i'm not having any trouble spinning it as much as I want, and i do with some dense stringbed frames like Prestiges and Radicals.

You may also wish to add the DNX10Mid to your demo list. It's got more heft and is a bit more spinny and a jumbo sized sweetzone for its headsize

Saxten
10-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks a lot!!!

NoBadMojo
10-22-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks a lot!!!

sure....yw. let us know how this all works out for you if you like

danix
10-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Personally I found the Becker 11, like the DNX10s, much stiffer and harsher than the T10MP gen 1 and 2. I had hoped that this would be an ideal replacement, but in my opinion it's not.

NoBadMojo
10-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Personally I found the Becker 11, like the DNX10s, much stiffer and harsher than the T10MP gen 1 and 2. I had hoped that this would be an ideal replacement, but in my opinion it's not.

I didnt find this to be the case at all. Found both the Becker11 325grams and the dnx10Mid to play softer than the Gen1 and certainly nothing approaching harsh. Not many frames play as soft as the Gen2 tho.

ericsson
10-22-2007, 11:00 AM

Agree with Danix here, the dnx10 is not in the league of Tour 10 I and II, those are softer frames, i never had it for that dnx thing anyway, you just can feel that stiffer part there. can't comment on the Becker though, still didnt test it yet...

NoBadMojo
10-22-2007, 11:09 AM
T10MPGen1 = RA62

Dnx10Mid = RA58

Becker11 325 grams = RA61

ericsson
10-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Mojo, i know the numbers too but i'm talking about the feeling, the gen I and II feel soft (not noodle) all over the line, the dnx doenst, i just found them very un-volkl, you feel the stiff parts there, feels like a bad leaded stick to me...

NoBadMojo
10-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Mojo, i know the numbers too but i'm talking about the feeling, the gen I and II feel soft (not noodle) all over the line, the dnx doenst, i just found them very un-volkl, you feel the stiff parts there, feels like a bad leaded stick to me...

i've found that RA numbers are almost always an accurate reflection of how stiff a racquet plays provided the racquet is struck in the sweetzone.

i agree the dnx material makes for a different hit than the volkl frames without dnx material. the frames we've been discussing all feel very soft and comfortable within the sweetspot to me. where they dont is when the sweetzone is missed..in those cases you can feel the stiffness of the dnx material, whereas the non dnx racquets dont feel as firm....but....you get a better ball response on the misshits from the dnx material <in general> based upon my experiences. hope i am understanding your post correctly.

0d1n
10-22-2007, 11:24 AM
ericsson, are you talking about the dnx 10 mid or the MP??
I don't find the MID stiff at all, when it comes to flex it's just as flexible as the gen I to me (different areas of flex though ...).

TourTenor
10-22-2007, 11:45 AM
I concur with Od1n ... I found that the DNX 10 MP feels harsher and stiffer than the DNX 10 mid. The mid is much sweeter IMO.

ericsson
10-22-2007, 11:59 AM
ericsson, are you talking about the dnx 10 mid or the MP??
I don't find the MID stiff at all, when it comes to flex it's just as flexible as the gen I to me (different areas of flex though ...).

i'm not talking about the RA here, i'm talking about the feeling of the racket, i tested them both, the mid and mp, indeed the mid feels better but still un-volkl, ok if you like them, didnt say its a bad racket, i just dont like it personally, you really should play the tour 10 gen I mid then and compare that to the dnx 10 or the c 10 pro tour, those were volkl sticks with lots of feel and the right flex IMO

NoBadMojo
10-22-2007, 12:00 PM
I concur with Od1n ... I found that the DNX 10 MP feels harsher and stiffer than the DNX 10 mid. The mid is much sweeter IMO.

the two frames have different layups and the MP is slightly stiffer. It also has an 18mains stringbed which usually plays boardier than less dense stringbeds altho that really doesnt have much to do with the stiffness of the frame part of the system. it's sometimes hard to discern if the stiffness is coming from the stringbed or the frame at times for many..of course the strings and tension play a role in all of this too. many people crap on good frames because they were strung with the wrong string at the wrong tension

NoBadMojo
10-22-2007, 12:08 PM
i'm not talking about the RA here, i'm talking about the feeling of the racket, i tested them both, the mid and mp, indeed the mid feels better but still un-volkl, ok if you like them, didnt say its a bad racket, i just dont like it personally, you really should play the tour 10 gen I mid then and compare that to the dnx 10 or the c 10 pro tour, those were volkl sticks with lots of feel and the right flex IMO

the RA measures the stifness of the racquet..thats what it does..thought we were talking about stiffness? i find the dnx10Mid, and MP, the becker11,Gen1, Gen2, etc all have great feel...they all feel different however and I, like anyone else prefers some over others partly because of how they feel..just because someone doesnt like the feel of a racquet doesnt mean it doesnt have good feel...all it means is that it doesnt feel the best for that one person. Lots of people like the dnx stuff..if they didnt Volkl wouldnt have expanded the dnx offering..you dont like it i guess..fair enough.

hjminard
10-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Lots of people like the dnx stuff..if they didnt Volkl wouldnt have expanded the dnx offering..you dont like it i guess..fair enough.

I like it. It's application in the BB11 frame seems to provide some of the benefit of a stiff frame, but with a flexy feel and much greater comfort. Or something like that (I just like it).

Being my first Volkl frame, I have no basis with which to compare to the non-DNX frames.

NoBadMojo
10-22-2007, 01:16 PM
I like it. It's application in the BB11 frame seems to provide some of the benefit of a stiff frame, but with a flexy feel and much greater comfort. Or something like that (I just like it).

Being my first Volkl frame, I have no basis with which to compare to the non-DNX frames.

I think thats an accurate assessment. you get the best of both worlds.

dont know if the technical part of this interests you, but they have evolved the use of the dnx material in the becker frames..It's kind of a 2nd generation of this material as applied to making raquets. Compared to the original DNX in the Volkl frames, in the becker frames they have it along longer lengths on the wings, moved it from the inside to the outside of the frame <which seems to make a noticeable diff in how these swing>, and have culminated it on both ends with bracelets which totally wrap the frame. In the throat above the grip collar cuff, they've extended the dnx material up the inside of the shaft presumably to give you a little more stiffness and pop. in this way, they can use softer more comfortable materials in the basic layup

wouldnt surprise me if this next spills bac k the other way and is applied to upcoming Volkl racquets. I understand they worked many months getting these becker frames just right..you can see how they use the technology and you can feel it at work..no smoke and mirrors marketing abba dabba