PDA

View Full Version : Who is the greatest punk band of all time?

Tchocky
10-20-2007, 07:26 PM
I grew up on punk rock and alternative music. I'm really looking forward to seeing "Control" the new Ian Curtis/Joy Division biopic. I love all these bands and have been listening to them since High School.

Mastermind
10-20-2007, 08:07 PM
For me it was a close one between The Ramones and The Sex Pistols. In the end, I'm gonna go with The Ramones.

rum02
10-20-2007, 10:41 PM
are "gang of four" classified as punk? if so my vote goes to them. My dad got me their debut album "entertainment," absolutely insane. great great lyrics ("I'm so restless I'm bored as a cat"), good drums and bass and awesome guitar as well.
My Dad also bought me joy division, haven't listened to that yet. You must hear gang of four though, they're so good.

35ft6
10-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Sum 41. Ten characters.

topspin_17
10-21-2007, 03:37 AM
true punk can only be defined with the music of the sex pistols. lol.

Mike Bulgakov
10-21-2007, 07:18 AM
The Clash has to rank number one as they made so many strong albums with intelligent lyrics and a good mix of genres. The Sex Pistols epitomized the London clothes pin in-the-cheek nihilism that spawned punk, but they imploded after one good album.

The Undertones equaled The Buzzcocks as a pop punk band, IMO. If you are feeling really depressed after a break-up with a girl and want to turn suicidal, Joy Division will do the trick (a great band, nevertheless).

yodudedudeyo
10-21-2007, 08:12 AM
great punk bands? oh ya know, simple plan, good charlotte, the click five. those are all just greeeeaaattttt punk bands.

Feña14
10-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Wow, that's a hard question!

I'd probably say The Ramones, followed by The Clash.

Andres
10-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Clash. At least they made MUSIC.

MomentumGT
10-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Op Ivy was a great band too.

-Jon

Breaker
10-21-2007, 01:59 PM
great punk bands? oh ya know, simple plan, good charlotte, the click five. those are all just greeeeaaattttt punk bands.

I notice Fallout Boy failed to make your list, for that I am proud, even amongst the crappiest bands to grace the music industry they don't deserve to be brought up.

The Clash wins out, London Calling is better than anything the other bands in the poll ever did.

diegaa
10-21-2007, 02:05 PM
It has to be almost a tie between the ramones and the clash. I do believe the ramones were a completely revolutionary, more than the clash, but the latter produced the best record modern history (i.e. london calling). its pretty close, with ramones winning IMO by very little.

diegaa
10-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Wow, that's a hard question!

I'd probably say The Ramones, followed by The Clash.

aaah, we agree again liam. and its the second time ;)

jaggy
10-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Crass by far

Professor Silvian Kuerton
10-21-2007, 07:36 PM
i love good charlotte.

yodudedudeyo
10-21-2007, 08:37 PM
haaaaaaaaa good charlotte. haaaaaaaaa

shwetty[tennis]balls
10-21-2007, 09:01 PM
It's hard to assess. I really think The Clash might barely steal this away form The Ramones. If you're into punk, then you'll know Bad Religion. They started in the early 80's, but their best stuff is from the late 80's early 90's. Against the Grain ranks as one of my all-time favorite punk albums. I don't really care too much for these generic modern punk bands like Simple Plan, and I hate Good Charlotte. Pennywise is awesome,and I like Sum 41. Nothing like the classics though. A band people don't seem to recognize as punk, especially great punk, is the Police. Hard to believe the main person behind one of the all greats(the Police) is now a soft-weak soft-pop twink now(speaking of course of Sting).

9000tennis
10-22-2007, 01:20 AM
Just got home from work and I'm wearing a Clash t-shirt, so my vote goes to The Clash. I'm a huge fan of the Clash. I have around 30 Clash lp's, ep's 7"'s, cd's and bootlegs and a couple of books and dvd's.
To me they were the most influential band ever, believing that they could play every genre with no regards to their abilities as musicians. They just got out there and played.
Ramones is also a really great band, joy division also. It's difficult to pick just one band.
But everyone who's into punk should check out the indiependent record labels and their bands. I think I have well over 100 albums by bands from small record labels, but the music is so much better than what you get on mtv or the radio.

10-22-2007, 09:09 AM
I just got home wearing my Avril Lavigne t-shirt.

Shabazza
10-22-2007, 09:36 AM
A tie between The Clash and The Ramones - since I have to vote for one, I go with The Clash.

Trinity TC
10-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Ex-New York Dolls guitarist, Johnny Thunders' band, The Heartbreakers. Second choice is Anti-Nowhere League. Not commercial but it's punk.8-)

little_e
10-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Old school: The Ramones
New school: Green Day

AndrewD
10-22-2007, 02:46 PM
The Saints.

(I’m) Stranded is still one of the greatest songs ever written and, in my opinion, the greatest punk single ever recorded.

Richie Rich
10-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Ramones. If i listen to more than 10 minutes of joy division i want to slit my throat

shwetty[tennis]balls
10-28-2007, 11:16 AM

I bet you think that Cindi Lauper was punk too!

10-28-2007, 11:34 AM
She was not punk, she was ex-wife.

chroix
10-29-2007, 06:49 AM
Bad Brains.

Ben42
10-29-2007, 10:06 AM
I also had to split my vote between the Clash and The Ramones. I like The Clash better, but The Ramones started it all. (Well, The Stooges *really* started it all, but I just never got into them)

Face it, if the Ramones hadn't travelled to London there might never have been a Clash.

Mike Bulgakov
03-02-2008, 12:07 AM
I just watched "Westway to the World," a documentary about my favourite punk band The Clash. Most of their live recordings sound pretty bad -- anyone have any recommendations for a concert recording (bootleg or otherwise) that captures the band at its best?

35ft6
03-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Sum 42. Best punk bands are from Canada. Recognize.

Mike Bulgakov
03-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Sum 42. Best punk bands are from Canada. Recognize.

Do you really think Sum 42 is better than The Clash and The Ramones? Does Avril Lavigne have you in a headlock, pouring Canadian Club down your throat as you post?

9000tennis
03-02-2008, 03:07 AM
I just watched "Westway to the World," a documentary about my favourite punk band The Clash. Most of their live recordings sound pretty bad -- anyone have any recommendations for a concert recording (bootleg or otherwise) that captures the band at its best?

Sadly The Clash did not record many live shows very well. There are many bootlegs, I have some of them, but the quality is not that good. The best live recording on cd is their live album "From here to eternity live". It's the only official live release, and they cleaned up the sound on that one, and I think it's really great. But otherwise you won't find any recordings with such quality.

If you're looking for videos it's a pretty hard job too. They did record some live perfomances. Playing live at the US festival 83 can be found on youtube in small parts, also some of the songs they played in Shea stadium (I believe the video for "should I stay or should I go was recorded here). You should get the movie "Rude Boy", which is about a young guy working with the clash. There are some live perfomances in that one too.

It looks like there's gonna be a movie capturing the clash live entitled "Revolution Rock" but it hasn't been released yet. You can find a trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1CwDATKs5c

Otherwise just try searching on the net. And also try searching for Joe Strummer live. there's a great perfomance of him and the mescaleros playing live in Cologne in 99.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+strummer+live+cologne&search_type=

slice bh compliment
03-02-2008, 06:22 AM
Sum 41...
...simple plan, good charlotte, the click five..
i love good charlotte.
... Green Day
balls;1838986']I bet you think that Cindi Lauper was punk too!
Sum 42. .... Recognize.

You guys are all hilarious, but the word 'RECOGNIZE' had me rolling. LMAO!

Okay, I'm no authority on music, and it's not very punk rock to make a list (or a poll for that matter!)....but I know what I like:

1. Clash
2. Sex Pistols
3. Ramones
4. one or two NY/DC punk/hardcore bands I saw as a kid. But I wouldn't buy their cds even if they were available now.

Musically, I think the Clash is the best,
the Sex Pistols are the most pure in terms of message, music and method,
and the music of the Ramones is most loved at a party.

tzinc
03-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Clash had meaningful lyrics not just great music!

mhstennis100
03-02-2008, 01:38 PM
L!k3 0MG Gr33n Day p0wns tey R sooooo punk rawk

Enlightened Coelacanth
03-02-2008, 06:23 PM
A Seattle band named Penis Scab.
Not too many people saw them play and
the ones that did never forgot what they saw.
Is that great? I don't know.

slice bh compliment
03-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Anyone ever see Die Kreuzen? Cheetah Chrome? Drivin'n'Cryin? These are bands from other genres with some punk undertones, on stage at least.

slice bh compliment
03-02-2008, 06:31 PM

Professor, do I detect a subtle bit of Aykhan there?

davidcal
03-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Ex-New York Dolls guitarist, Johnny Thunders' band, The Heartbreakers. Second choice is Anti-Nowhere League. Not commercial but it's punk.8-)

You're going to pick the Heartbreakers over the NY Dolls?? You're killing me. The Dolls were the original punk band. Tough to beat in my book. They would get my vote.

Lots of good choices here the Clash, Ramones, Pistols are all great bands. My favorite show of all time was Patti Smith opening for the Ramones in Ann Arbor, MI in 1979 at some bar on Liberty Street.

Another contender is the band Fear. Their first record is killer. Up there with Here Comes the Bollocks as best punk record.

Perhaps he's not "punk" per se but Graham Parker is still making great records after 30 years.

Of course just my 2c.

Shaolin
03-02-2008, 08:12 PM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n7/SiddenyVicious/gbh.jpg

BEST EVER

tricky
03-03-2008, 04:08 AM
are "gang of four" classified as punk? if so my vote goes to them.

Gof4 would be post-punk, as would Joy Division. Other seminal post-punk and CBGB acts include

Wire. (If you like Elastica, you'll LOVE Wire!)
Television (if you like U2 or Echo and the Bunnymen, check where Edge got his sound from)
Suicide (if you like Placebo's more "experimental" side, check where they got that sound from)
Killing Joke
Richard Hell / Voidoids
Nick Drake / Birthday Party
Cure
Souxie

If like Gang of Four a lot, definitely check out dance-punk bands like The Liars, Chik Chik Chik (!!!), and the Rapture.

As for original question, it's tough to determine what is the "Greatest Punk Band Ever." Punk music originated from the States. Punk culture originated from the UK. Same argument is made with techno. House originated from Chicago; techno originated from Detroit. However, warehouse raver culture mostly originated from the UK.

The Sex Pistols were conceived by Malcolm McLaren as an agitpop cartoon, essentially the first punk "boy band." But, this is not a unique phenomenon in British rock culture. You also have Joy Division, Smiths, Stone Roses, the entire Britpop generation, the Streets/Dizzee Rascal -- all who established various fashion and class-zeitgeist precedents in very specific and sizable chunks of the rock timeline. The difference is that the Pistols fashion statement exploded in the States and the rest of the world. Everybody spits; everybody fakes Brit accents; everybody wears their safety spins. John Lyndon's proud of the music, but he still thought the kids got it all wrong.

The problem with citing the Clash as greatest punk band of all time is that, by concensus of the late-70s punk community, they only made one "real punk" record. Joe Strummer's accent itself was even viewed with suspicion. Their 2nd record Give Em Enough Rope was produced by Blue Oyster Cult's guy. London Calling and Sandinista were way too diverse to be considered "punk." They never really made another song like White Riot.

The problem with citing the Ramones as Greatest Ever is the music they made would be considered "junior high/bubblegum punk" today.

The problem with citing the NY Dolls is that, the hair metal of the 80s also (rightfully) claims lineage to the NY Dolls.

The problem with citing the MC5, Stooges or the Velvet Underground as Greatest Punk Band Ever is that, well few of the punk bands were directly influenced by these bands. The Ramones were influenced by surf music and girl groups. VU's influence came by way of CBGB. Iggy Pop was a key inspiration for many early punk acts, but not so much the primitive fuzz blues that his band actually played. Post-punk is when you really started to hear the VU and Stooges influences come through.

All these bands were important, but it's like asking who is the greatest hip-hop MC of all time.

Dedans Penthouse
03-03-2008, 08:03 AM
All these bands were important, but it's like asking who is the greatest hip-hop MC of all time.Nice post tricky.
And speaking of MC, then there were the bands that influenced a lot of punk bands; bands such as the MC5.
:cool: ---"kick out the jams"

SlapShot
03-03-2008, 08:10 AM
3 pages and no mention of Bad Religion? Shame on you all.

Bad Religion, NoFX, The Descendants/All, etc.

9000tennis
03-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Nick Drake / Birthday Party

Didn't Nick Drake die in 74?
And don't you mean Nick Cave?
If you do, then I agree. He's amazing. I just read a book about him and the birthday party.

shwetty[tennis]balls
03-03-2008, 09:22 AM
3 pages and no mention of Bad Religion? Shame on you all.

Bad Religion, NoFX, The Descendants/All, etc.

Actually, I mentioned them in my post response # 17, on the first page or this post. I'm glad that someone agrees with me. Bad Religion was pivitol in ushering punk from the 80's into the 90's, especially the american punk movement.

tricky
03-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Didn't Nick Drake die in 74?
And don't you mean Nick Cave?

Good catch. That teaches me to post when I'm half awake . :D

Bad Religion was pivitol in ushering punk from the 80's into the 90's, especially the american punk movement..

I'm personally not a big fan of Bad Religion, though I've seen them live. They were really, really popular where I grew up. But at the same time, people were also interested in NoFX, Descendants, the Vandals, Social Distortion, Suicidal Tendencies, etc. It's just part of the SoCal skater punk culture. American punk is electric folk music -- it is the sound of its local community.

If I had to pick greatest 90s punk band, it would probably be either Fugazi or Sleater Kinney. If I had to pick 80s band, it would be either X or Black Flag. Few bands wrote about LA as well as X; whereas Black Flag and especially Greg Zinn mixed Sabbath sludge with asymmetrical,atonal jazz riffs. But, then again, I'm only speaking of this neck of the woods. Somebody from New York or DC or Seattle will have their most significant bands ever.

SlapShot
03-03-2008, 10:12 AM
balls;2131937']Actually, I mentioned them in my post response # 17, on the first page or this post. I'm glad that someone agrees with me. Bad Religion was pivitol in ushering punk from the 80's into the 90's, especially the american punk movement.

I missed that one. My bad.

And you are correct. Without BR, the entire 90's skate punk scene would not have existed. They took Black Flag and made it accessable and intelligent.

SlapShot
03-03-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm personally not a big fan of Bad Religion, though I've seen them live. They were really, really popular where I grew up. But at the same time, people were also interested in NoFX, Descendants, the Vandals, Social Distortion, Suicidal Tendencies, etc. It's just part of the SoCal skater punk culture. American punk is electric folk music -- it is the sound of its local community.

That is an EXCELLENT quote. Probably one of the best I've heard in reference to punk.

In honor of electric folk music, I'll also nominate Minneapolis' own Husker Du.

AmericanTemplar
03-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Been going since 1974 and still putting out good material:

http://i28.tinypic.com/2dglv78.jpg

shwetty[tennis]balls
03-03-2008, 10:45 AM
balls;2131937']Actually, I mentioned them in my post response # 17, on the first page or this post. I'm glad that someone agrees with me. Bad Religion was pivitol in ushering punk from the 80's into the 90's, especially the american punk movement.

Well said. I don't think people believe that Bad Religion could be considered intelligent. Griffen is a very bright lyricist and writer. Also, I don't think people understand that Bad Religion actually started in the late late 70's early 80's. So they actually go back quite a ways. I think dubbing Bad Religion as just a 90's skater punk band doesn't give them the credit they deserve. Without them, there probably wouldn't be great bands like Vandals, Offspring, and other bands that were under the Epitaph label.

SlapShot
03-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Well, the fact that Greg Graffin has a master's degree in philosophy gives them just a hint of an intellectual background.

norcal
03-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Not one mention of Rancid?

Well considering I'm friends with Tim Armstrong I'll go with OP Ivy/Rancid.

I saw the Clash in Oakland around 1983ish with the Who. Awesome show.

SlapShot
03-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Not one mention of Rancid?

Well considering I'm friends with Tim Armstrong I'll go with OP Ivy/Rancid.

I saw the Clash in Oakland around 1983ish with the Who. Awesome show.

I think Rancid fails the litmus test simply due to the direction they took post-Out Come The Wolves. I think that they don't resemble in any way the band that they were then.

tricky
03-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Also, I don't think people understand that Bad Religion actually started in the late late 70's early 80's. So they actually go back quite a ways.True, but musically, they're just not as groundbreaking as other SoCal bands like Suicidal Tendencies, Black Flag, the Minutemen (forgot about Mike Watt!) or X. I had a friend who told me up and down that X was the finest band Los Angeles ever produced. Of course, SHE was from Boston . . .

Without them, there probably wouldn't be great bands like Vandals, Offspring, and other bands that were under the Epitaph label.Oooh I think the Vandals would have done fine without Bad Religion. They, Social Distortion, and Oingo Boingo were Orange County institutions.

I think Rancid fails the litmus test simply due to the direction they took post-Out Come The Wolves. I think that they don't resemble in any way the band that they were then.If anything, Rancid got more interesting. Life Won't Wait was their London Calling/Sandinista record, just a sprawling thing that really went back to their Op Ivy roots while looking forward. Then on their self-titled record, they went back to the basics and made the most hardcore release of their career.

I don't love Rancid, but I think that's just me not really liking how much of the Gilman scene was so 1977. Back in the 80s, if you were to a hardcore gig, you could just go in jeans and shirt and just, you know, kick ***. Nobody cared about having "the right look." But, when I went to Berkeley, it seemed half of it was about looking a certain way and playing a certain way, recreating an era rather than living with the current times.

That said, I did like a lot of the Gilman bands. And once upon a time, AFI were really, really good too. :D An awesome live act.

In honor of electric folk music, I'll also nominate Minneapolis' own Husker Du.Yup. The holy trinity of 80s alt rock: Husker Du, Sonic Youth, and the Pixies. (With Mission of Burma batting cleanup.) And let's not forget the Replacements. If only Paul Westerberg looked like Bon Jovi, they would have been as big as the Goo Goo Dolls. :D

SlapShot
03-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Yup. The holy trinity of 80s alt rock: Husker Du, Sonic Youth, and the Pixies. (With Mission of Burma batting cleanup.) And let's not forget the Replacements. If only Paul Westerberg looked like Bon Jovi, they would have been as big as the Goo Goo Dolls. :D

His new record is really, REALLY good.

I feel like I missed the boat with the MN music scene - Soul Asylum, The Replacements, Husker Du, Polara.

Oh, and a BIT +1 to AFI. By AFI, I mean pre-major label AFI. Now they're just mindless radio rock. They're a goth Hinder.

tricky
03-03-2008, 01:21 PM
I grew up a Danzig fan (though more a Danzig fan rather than a Misfits fan, per se), so AFI was fun. I saw them live with Rancid and the Distillers (*cough*) AFI had the best live performance. I kinda regret not living in Berkeley when Op Ivy was still around.

I feel like I missed the boat with the MN music scene - Soul Asylum, The Replacements, Husker Du, Polara.

Yup before Mike Pirner decided to indulge his inner Tom Petty, Soul Asylum were a wild, wild band. Wow, now I feel really old . . .

norcal
03-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Rancid is finishing up their latest album right now. The tracks I've heard are more Americana-ish sounding. Quite different.

For such a short lived band Op Ivy sure has a lasting impact. LOL they sell more t-shirts than Green Day.

SlapShot
03-03-2008, 01:29 PM
For such a short lived band Op Ivy sure has a lasting impact. LOL they sell more t-shirts than Green Day.

They also wrote better songs than Green Day ever has.

And I actually like pre-self indulgent Green Day.

tricky
03-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Oh I know. When I started to attend Berkeley, I swear every other squatter wore an Op Ivy hoodie, or had a patch of them on their backpack. They literally defined the sound of my college years.

9000tennis
03-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Been going since 1974 and still putting out good material:

http://i28.tinypic.com/2dglv78.jpg

Hell yeah!!
Every time I go to the stadium to see my local football team, I hope they play Riot Squad or Take em' all as an intro... but they never do.

I was listening to that whole epitaph scene when I was 15. Bad Religion, Rancid, Millencolin and Nofx and I have most of their albums. I wonder why I hardly ever listen to them anymore.

Anyone here likes Jawbreaker or the Que ers?
Two of my favorites...

tricky
03-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Iffy on Jawbreaker, but I like Jawbox!

I was listening to that whole epitaph scene when I was 15. Bad Religion, Rancid, Millencolin and Nofx and I have most of their albums. I wonder why I hardly ever listen to them anymore.

Yeah, see, this is what I mean by "electric folk music." I always found it amusing hearing about people from other parts of the United States or the world into Bad Religion or NoFX. Because these guys were just our local bands, especially Bad Religion who were legends at their high school. Basically, it's like they became a fan of Orange County and South Bay culture, which is what people mean by the "Epitaph sound." Huh. And I always found it weird because punk culture is a communal, local culture. So, for us, this was our culture, but for somebody in Tokyo, it's just a sound and a fashion statement.

Janne
03-03-2008, 02:54 PM
The only one of the bands you listed that I'd call punk is Black Flag.

Most of the bands you listed are insults to the punk community, especially Sex Pistols. They were basically manufactured to generate money. Most of them are also pop-punk, which basically destroys the whole purpose of punk.

I'm putting my vote on 'Other', as I think 1905 is the greatest punk band ever.

I've seen people here list bands such as Sum 41, Simple Plan, Green day, Good Charlotte, Avril Lavigne etc. and all I have to say is, what the hell, guys? These and similar bands are not punk. They have never been punk, and will never be. These are just ordinary bubblegum pop-punk/pop-rock bands. Listen up people, just because MTV says they are punk, doesn't mean it is true.

Tempest344
03-03-2008, 06:10 PM
^ agree

also Joy division which is listed there is actually Post-punk I believe

so it came after the inital wave of punk bands

shwetty[tennis]balls
03-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Iffy on Jawbreaker, but I like Jawbox!

Yeah, see, this is what I mean by "electric folk music." I always found it amusing hearing about people from other parts of the United States or the world into Bad Religion or NoFX. Because these guys were just our local bands, especially Bad Religion who were legends at their high school. Basically, it's like they became a fan of Orange County and South Bay culture, which is what people mean by the "Epitaph sound." Huh. And I always found it weird because punk culture is a communal, local culture. So, for us, this was our culture, but for somebody in Tokyo, it's just a sound and a fashion statement.

And what exactly, according to your expertise on punk, do you define as punk? If you call Bad Religion electric folk music then you're essentially calling The Clash the electric Beatles. What you say is entirely absurd. What ought to define punk is anarchy, chaos, screw the government and politics. Strong statements and sentiments against organised religion, bureaucracy and aristocracy. Bad Religion and much of the epitaph label fall very much in this category. Every band is going to sound unique, with a sense of "locality." You say electric folk,I actually think of Green Day, not Bad Religion. You should really get their early stuff, instead of sounding like an idiot. I can't believe the snobbism coming from guys like you discrediting one of the greatest punk bands. Just because you may not like their sound doesn't take away their due influence on punk's history.

shwetty[tennis]balls
03-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Certainly not my favorites, but has anyone seen Dropkick Murphy's perform. They kicked ***** when I saw them about ten years ago.

Mike Bulgakov
03-03-2008, 08:48 PM
The Pogues were a great band with punk roots, though I am not sure how to categorize their music...Celtic Punk? Joe Strummer fronted for them for a few shows after Shane MacGowan left and formed the Popes.

Thanks to 9000tennis for his Clash tips. "Rude Boy" has some classic footage of the Clash, but the Clash were really angry with the filmmakers and wanted nothing to do with the film. Was there any reason other than it was not a good film?

Nick Cave and Joy Division can't really be defined as punk. Do they fit any definition other than the broad category "alternative?"

tricky
03-03-2008, 09:05 PM
The Pogues were a great band with punk roots, though I am not sure how to categorize their music...Celtic Punk?Thanks to the Pogues and the Dropkick Murphy, celtic punk is now a legit genre.

If you call Bad Religion electric folk music then you're essentially calling The Clash the electric Beatles. Even Ian McKaye says punk is electric folk music. Do you think I meant that as a bad thing? Punk isn't just about anti-capitalist ethics or DIY; it's about representing and supporting your local bohemian community. That is why DC hardcore is different from the scenes in Olympia is different from New York and SoCal and Bay Area. Each has their own scene, and each has their own culture and the music is an organic response from it. Do you belong to a scene? Do you contribute to a scene? Do you write for zines and support methods of self-sufficiency that doesn't require corporate sponsorship? If you do, then why are you so offended by that? What, do you think punk ISN'T elitist?!? Punk excludes. It has to in order to mantain its ethos. Do you many punks from the East Coast dislike SoCal punk rock and Epitaph and would blanche at the idea that Bad Religion represents the best of American punk? Of course you do; that is part of the parochial culture of the punk scene. My scene vs. your scene. Everybody protects their own.
What ought to define punk is anarchy, chaos, screw the government and politics. Right. So, does Bad Religion celebrate anarchist politics or chaos? What about the Misfits? What about the Descendants? They're not punk because they don't promote Chomsky rhetoric? Where does Bad Religion preclude destruction over social responsibility? Are you saying the only real punk bands are anarcho-leaning bands like Crass and GBH?

You should really get their early stuff, instead of sounding like an idioI've been listening to Bad Religion since the 80s. How couldn't I? I live in Southern California. But would I put them next to Black Flag, Dead Kennedies or Suicidal Tendencies? Probably not. Would I put them against Rite of Spring, Fugazi or Bikini Kill? Probably not. Would I put them against crossover bands like the Dismemberment Plan or Embrace or even old SDRE? Probably not. Would I even put them against old ATDI or Nation of Ullysses or Dillinger Escape Plan? Probably not. Would I put them against Social Distortion or the Vandals? Sure. That's part of the scene.

I can't believe the snobbism coming from guys like you discrediting one of the greatest punk bandsHow can you even say I was disparaging Bad Religion? Is Epitaph the only American punk label that matters?

SlapShot
03-04-2008, 05:20 AM
I've been listening to Bad Religion since the 80s. How couldn't I? I live in Southern California. But would I put them next to Black Flag, Dead Kennedies or Suicidal Tendencies? Probably not. Would I put them against Rite of Spring, Fugazi or Bikini Kill? Probably not. Would I put them against crossover bands like the Dismemberment Plan or Embrace or even old SDRE? Probably not. Would I even put them against old ATDI or Nation of Ullysses or Dillinger Escape Plan? Probably not. Would I put them against Social Distortion or the Vandals? Sure. That's part of the scene.

+100 points for mentioning D-Plan.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
03-04-2008, 05:36 AM
"Handsome" Dick Manitoba and the Dictators.

chroix
03-04-2008, 05:47 AM
bad brains is my all time fav. 80s DC/NY stuff. Dischord label. Love Gang of Four and early Joy Division as well. The Fall too. Saints. SOA. Teen Idles.

Janne
03-04-2008, 05:55 AM
Thanks to the Pogues and the Dropkick Murphy, celtic punk is now a legit genre.
It's celtic pop-punk, actually.

Here's a few other punk bands for those who are interested:

Minor Threat
Crass
Transistor Transistor
Against me, though only their old music.