PDA

View Full Version : Cross- Bottom to Top or Top to Bottom?

cukoo
10-20-2007, 08:13 PM
How should it be strung? And why would it make a difference?

Thanks

shojun25
10-20-2007, 08:35 PM
Top to bottom is better for your frame. If you string bottom to top, there will be a higher chance that your frame will crack around the 10 and 2 areas. The hoop isn't as stable as the throat, thus less stress should be given to the hoop.

dancraig
10-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Top down. The bottom of the hoop is stronger than the top. The stresses of tensioning are thought to build in the direction of the stringing. The bottom is thought to be able to better handle the increasing pressure.

tbini87
10-20-2007, 10:39 PM
top down, but some companies say it is fine to do their racquets either way. as stated before top down is supposed to be safer for the frame, and will help it to last longer. a search would prob bring up TONS of info on this issue.

YULitle
10-21-2007, 07:20 AM
Top to bottom is better for your frame. If you string bottom to top, there will be a higher chance that your frame will crack around the 10 and 2 areas. The hoop isn't as stable as the throat, thus less stress should be given to the hoop.

Word... What he said.

PBODY99
10-21-2007, 11:08 AM
How should it be strung? And why would it make a difference?

Thanks
The companies tell you which way they want the crosses installed. I cannot remember any that mandated bottom up, but many insist on top down. As the earlier posts said, it is the accepted wisdom that the frame is stronger at the throat of the racket.

shojun25
10-21-2007, 02:06 PM
The companies tell you which way they want the crosses installed. I cannot remember any that mandated bottom up, but many insist on top down. As the earlier posts said, it is the accepted wisdom that the frame is stronger at the throat of the racket.

I insist in stringing all racquets from top to bottom, even if that means that you should do two piece stringing. If you string bottom-up on a racquet that should be strung top to bottom, the racquet company will not replace your racquet if you crack it or break it.

jasoncho92
10-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Some rackets force you to do bottom to top or top to bottom when one piece stringing. My wilson rackets force me to do bottom to top and my head forces me to do top to bottom because head rackets are weaker