PDA

View Full Version : WTA Championships

Rabbit
11-15-2004, 10:57 AM
First, let me say that the Williams vs. Mauresmo match was very exciting and full of the tension and drama that fans love in a sporting even.

Now, for the down side.

I was really embarassed for the WTA to watch the doubles competition. There were more people at some of my high school matches back in 76 than there were at the semis.

Also, what's up with the women playing doubles now a days? They play one back and one up over half the time, and that's basically all the girls.

I think the WTA should have the year end championships somewhere else. They don't draw squat in L.A. (overall), and there are many smaller markets where they'd do very well and keep the seats full. If nothing else, it would appear that the tour has some interest overall.

Finally, I don't know how they do it, but I do like the attitudes of Pascual and her partner. They laughed and smiled more during a losing effort than most teams do when they win.

Cuzza
11-15-2004, 08:29 PM
I just saw the final of this match live. It was 1 set all, when Serena started having an injury that was heavily affecting her game. Sharapova broke back and took the championship.

Aonex
11-15-2004, 08:34 PM
Sounds like more gamesmanship... but I could be wrong.

kooyah
11-15-2004, 08:51 PM
I just saw the final of this match live. It was 1 set all, when Serena started having an injury that was heavily affecting her game.

Interestingly, Serena called for the trainer and left the court when Sharapova was about to take the second set. When she came back, Sharapova took the second set, but had lost a lot of momentum and had a huge mental lapse to start the third set. What a coincidence. :roll: