PDA

View Full Version : Very strange stringing experience....help needed

Gabs011
10-21-2007, 02:50 AM
I recently went to a new stringer. As I went in to collect my Head I.Prestige MP the stringer was midway through the racket. Aside from the single long coil he was stringing the racket with he had smaller coils (maybe half a meter in length next to the machine).

I asked him what they were for and he said that they were leftovers from previous stringjobs and HE WAS USING THEM UP IN MY RACKET TO SAVE STRING!! (??)

I know alot about rackets and types of strings but little about the actual stringing process so -

- Is this rubbish even possible i.e. to use up little bits of old string?
- Has anyone seen this absurdity before?

When he told me - I was so angry. A full job of Lux Alu Power is not cheap and you dont expect this rubbish. I sure as hell am never going back there! To top things off he said - "oh don't worry - the tension is still uniform across the stringbed!" to which I replied "when do you see qualified stringers using bits of old string in rackets?".

Opinions are much appreciated....

Clintspin
10-21-2007, 03:51 AM
I think he was just messing with you.

Valjean
10-21-2007, 03:55 AM
Really? How many knots do you show now, then?

chiapants226
10-21-2007, 03:57 AM
lol.. is that even possible??? would he use superglue to stick the ends of each string together??? :P

mrw
10-21-2007, 04:35 AM
the amount of knots would tell the tale

shojun25
10-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Yeah, check the knots. If there is more than 4 knots, then you shouldn't go there again.

If there isn't, he's just playing with you :p

Loco4Tennis
10-21-2007, 07:58 AM
yeah this is funny, look for 2 knots only since you mentioned a full job of alu
also complain about this to their manager and see if you can get a free string out of it :-)
if nothing else he'll get his aZZ chewed out

YULitle
10-21-2007, 08:14 AM
yeah this is funny, look for 2 knots only since you mentioned a full job of alu
also complain about this to their manager and see if you can get a free string out of it :-)
if nothing else he'll get his aZZ chewed out

Depending on where he went. The manager may have no clue what you are talking about. A full job could be four knots. Can't assume that he meant one piece when he said full job. If there are more than four then he piece it together, some how... If the racket had power holes then there are many holes in-which to tie knots. I've heard of this being done with natural gut back in the day, way before I started stringing. They would replace a few mains with a little piece of string and make more knots. I saw one racket come in with atleast 14 knots! I was appalled. But, it was explained to me by an older stringer that that used to be common. Has anyone else seen that before?

Loco4Tennis
10-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Depending on where he went. The manager may have no clue what you are talking about. A full job could be four knots. Can't assume that he meant one piece when he said full job. If there are more than four then he piece it together, some how... If the racket had power holes then there are many holes in-which to tie knots. I've heard of this being done with natural gut back in the day, way before I started stringing. They would replace a few mains with a little piece of string and make more knots. I saw one racket come in with atleast 14 knots! I was appalled. But, it was explained to me by an older stringer that that used to be common. Has anyone else seen that before?

in regards to the manager, i think any responcible manager would appreciate hearing from clients that they have staff misleading client in this fashion
as for the full job issue, i guess i dont know what a full job of luxilon alu ruf means, i thought a full job of a specific string would mean the "one piece", but now that i think about it, i guess you can have for example, alu tension set for mains different then crosses, and it could be with in a 2 piece setup but still using just one type of string, ma bad..

Masamusou
10-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Some people just can't take a joke...

YULitle
10-21-2007, 08:55 AM
[QUOTE=Loco4Tennis;1823513]in regards to the manager, i think any responcible manager would appreciate hearing from clients that they have staff misleading client in this fashion...
QUOTE]

Of course, of course.

tbini87
10-21-2007, 09:56 AM
maybe he put scraps into grommet holes to keep them open so he could get string in the covered holes. just a guess. i bet he was just messing with you.

aeroman
10-21-2007, 02:03 PM
The pro at my club patches his racquets. He widens the cross grommets (he breaks crosses because he never hits serves which are what mainly break mains) and he'll just put knots in and just put a piece of scrap string in to replace the cross so he doesn't have to restring the whole thing.
Aeroman

JohnP
10-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Typical shady stringing business. They assume (and are usually correct) that the customer has no idea about anything, and does everything sloppy and unprofessional in the book. Find somewhere else, or better yet, invest in a decent stringer for yourself.

User Name
10-21-2007, 03:39 PM
i want some pictures up of your racquet.... the suspence is killing me!!!

IanRichardson
10-21-2007, 03:59 PM
yeah, unless your racquet has a bunch of knots in it then he was messing with you, or he is magic.

goober
10-21-2007, 04:41 PM
In any case the stringer really didn't come off very well.

If he was just messing with you- he shouldn't assume anything. You are new to him he should treat you in a professional manner- not treat you like an idiot or make jokes that you may or may not get. If he made a bad joke that you didn't get he should immediately apologize and explain that it was a joke and that he would never actually do that. It doesn't sound like he retracted what he said from your story.

LPShanet
10-22-2007, 02:16 AM
in regards to the manager, i think any responcible manager would appreciate hearing from clients that they have staff misleading client in this fashion
as for the full job issue, i guess i dont know what a full job of luxilon alu ruf means, i thought a full job of a specific string would mean the "one piece", but now that i think about it, i guess you can have for example, alu tension set for mains different then crosses, and it could be with in a 2 piece setup but still using just one type of string, ma bad..

Also, even if tensions are the same, some racquet companies recommend 2 piece stringing for specific frames, usually in cases where the crosses would start at the throat if you did 1 piece.

Bubba
10-22-2007, 05:17 AM
Typical shady stringing business. They assume (and are usually correct) that the customer has no idea about anything, and does everything sloppy and unprofessional in the book. Find somewhere else, or better yet, invest in a decent stringer for yourself.

Obvious you don't have a good idea what you're talking about. First check the knots like everyone else here said... 99.9% chance the stringer was messing with him. I tend to do it too when I'm stringing and someone is standing there watching me. Good fun to what can become a boring/routine :30 string job.

Netbudda
10-22-2007, 05:54 AM
I swear I laughed so hard I had tears rolling down my cheeks...just picturing this racquet with at least 30 knots.....that should help generate some dicey top spin. The stringer was just messing with you...take it easy and relax next time.

LPShanet
10-22-2007, 02:18 PM
I recently went to a new stringer. As I went in to collect my Head I.Prestige MP the stringer was midway through the racket. Aside from the single long coil he was stringing the racket with he had smaller coils (maybe half a meter in length next to the machine).

I asked him what they were for and he said that they were leftovers from previous stringjobs and HE WAS USING THEM UP IN MY RACKET TO SAVE STRING!! (??)

I know alot about rackets and types of strings but little about the actual stringing process so -

- Is this rubbish even possible i.e. to use up little bits of old string?
- Has anyone seen this absurdity before?

When he told me - I was so angry. A full job of Lux Alu Power is not cheap and you dont expect this rubbish. I sure as hell am never going back there! To top things off he said - "oh don't worry - the tension is still uniform across the stringbed!" to which I replied "when do you see qualified stringers using bits of old string in rackets?".

Opinions are much appreciated....

I'd concur that he was somehow messing with you. Using bits of string to patch together a string job, even if it were possible to execute, would be a pain in the butt for the stringer. All those knots, etc. would just be annoying to do, so it's highly unlikely anyone would bother unless they were pathologically cheap. And if he were, he's probably buy strings by the reel...this way he doesn't stand to save much money anyway.

Ronaldo
10-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Next time specify whether you want a two-piece or more stringjob.

Two Fister
10-22-2007, 03:57 PM
When I was a kid, using wood racquets and occasionally gut (Imperial), my stringers would "patch" frayed strings routinely using smaller pieces and just replacing a few strings near and including the frayed string. But usually no more than one or two patches per new string job. It was considered extravagant to restring an entire racquet for one or two weak strings.

JohnP
10-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Obvious you don't have a good idea what you're talking about. First check the knots like everyone else here said... 99.9% chance the stringer was messing with him. I tend to do it too when I'm stringing and someone is standing there watching me. Good fun to what can become a boring/routine :30 string job.

Honestly, I hope you're right, but I don't know why it's a mistake to assume that he was telling the truth, but it is "correct" to assume he wasn't.

LPShanet
10-23-2007, 09:50 AM
When I was a kid, using wood racquets and occasionally gut (Imperial), my stringers would "patch" frayed strings routinely using smaller pieces and just replacing a few strings near and including the frayed string. But usually no more than one or two patches per new string job. It was considered extravagant to restring an entire racquet for one or two weak strings.

This hasn't been common practice for decades (that isn't a jab at your age, I promise:)), however. When stringing was more difficult (done by hand) and strings were harder to come by, it was done often, but mostly during the wood racquet era. With graphite racquets, current strings, machines, tensions, etc., this hasn't been acceptable (or even common) for a long time.

bmichaelia
10-23-2007, 10:32 AM
Either the stringer or the originator of this thread was pulling someone's/everyone's leg.

BurghKing
10-23-2007, 11:22 AM
This hasn't been common practice for decades (that isn't a jab at your age, I promise:)), however. When stringing was more difficult (done by hand) and strings were harder to come by, it was done often, but mostly during the wood racquet era. With graphite racquets, current strings, machines, tensions, etc., this hasn't been acceptable (or even common) for a long time.

When did we stop stringing by hand? The last time I checked I think we all still use our hands to string... I'm just messing with you. Hopefully the person who initiated this thread will reply so we can see what is really going on.