PDA

View Full Version : Tell me how much your Babolat PDR weighs

Schills
10-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Hi all,

I've recently owned 2 different rackets from 2 different mfgs. In both cases, the rackets were quite a bit heavier than spec suggested. I owned multiple samples of each, and although the rackets were pretty close to oneanother, they were still pretty far off spec. I'm thinking about the PDR, but would like to know how much your samples weighed.

FYI. . . . my 3 Yonex 002 Tours ALL came in at 12.7 with damper. My 2 Dunlop M-fil 300s came in at 11.8 with damper, which is actually around an ideal weight for me and why I'm looking at the PDR. I just don't want them to arrive and weigh a whole oz more, like the m-fil.

Regards,

schills

soggyramen
10-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi all,

I've recently owned 2 different rackets from 2 different mfgs. In both cases, the rackets were quite a bit heavier than spec suggested. I owned multiple samples of each, and although the rackets were pretty close to oneanother, they were still pretty far off spec. I'm thinking about the PDR, but would like to know how much your samples weighed.

FYI. . . . my 3 Yonex 002 Tours ALL came in at 12.7 with damper. My 2 Dunlop M-fil 300s came in at 11.8 with damper, which is actually around an ideal weight for me and why I'm looking at the PDR. I just don't want them to arrive and weigh a whole oz more, like the m-fil.

Regards,

schills

i'm convinced that the PDR has the worse quality control out of any racquet on the market right now...i took three from the shop that we had got for demos and and one weight 11.9 strung, 11.5, and the other 12.1 we had very few that were spot on on...others were within .1 of the desired spec...we were actually convinced that one in the shop though lighter than the spec was actually head heavy...everyone said it felt head heavy when they played with it. babolat and wilson are the worst in quality control hands down

Schills
10-21-2007, 05:55 PM
we were actually convinced that one in the shop though lighter than the spec was actually head heavy...everyone said it felt head heavy when they played with it. babolat and wilson are the worst in quality control hands down

Funny. . . I picked up a PD (not R) for demo today. It weighed in at 11.6, which is a bit heavier than spec but fine with me. However, I too thought that it felt head heavy. Is there a "poor mans" way to measure balance?

jessev
10-21-2007, 06:38 PM
from what i've experienced and what everyone's been saying, it you can find a dealer, it would be a lot easier to check the weight before you buy it. i ordered both of my PD+s from TW and they're a little off balance and one weighs slightly more than the other. they're not extremely off, but enough to make it noticable.

Midlife crisis
10-21-2007, 08:31 PM
My son's two PDR+'s weigh 347 grams each. Neither has the original grip but has a Prince DuraTred grip wrapped all the way up to just under the Cortex. One racquet has about 5.5 grams of lead at 3 and 9 o'clock so its stock weight must be about 341-342 grams. The other racquet has 5 grams of lead at 3 and 9 o'clock, plus three grams of lead in the "V" just above the handle. This is to create a similar static and swing weight, and a similar balance. This racquet's stock weight must be 339 grams. So, two or three grams, about a tenth of an ounce, difference.

Schills
10-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Funny. . . I picked up a PD (not R) for demo today. It weighed in at 11.6, which is a bit heavier than spec but fine with me. However, I too thought that it felt head heavy. Is there a "poor mans" way to measure balance?

Well, I made myself a balance board and checked all the rackets. Although I thought the PD felt HH it was actually 4 HL without damper and with overgrip. Probably would be 3 HL with damper.

What is most amazing is that its the same weight as my m-fil 300 once I added the same damper, and about the same balance, but feels so dramatically different just swinging around the house. Not totally unexpected, but still amazing given the same weight and almost same balance.

So. . . any more folks with PDR weights?

Schills
10-21-2007, 10:13 PM
FWIW, regarding Babolat grip size, according to my cloth tape measure, the 4 3/8 on the PD is the exact same as the 4 3/8 on the Yonex and both measure 1/8" less than the 4 1/2 on my Dunlop.

Quattro
10-22-2007, 05:31 AM
I'm at 11.6 with Wilson Pro Grip, no overgrip, 18ga strings and rubber band.

danix
10-22-2007, 09:51 AM
PDR with Ballistic Polymono 16, rubber band and overgrip 353.1g=12.45oz
PDR with hybrid, 2 overgrips and no grip, rubber band 338.4g=11.94oz

Both are 4 3/8.

Schills
10-25-2007, 08:16 AM
Just received 2 from TW for demo. 1 weighed 12.0 and the other 12.2.

soggyramen
10-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Just received 2 from TW for demo. 1 weighed 12.0 and the other 12.2.

bottom line: if you get a pdr...weigh it first