PDA

View Full Version : getting more pace...

KhaosBaseliner
10-21-2007, 02:22 PM
i was wondering if anyone had some tips to put more pace on an eastern forehand....without knocking it over the fence. Anything would be nice, thanks

Rickson
10-21-2007, 02:27 PM
i was wondering if anyone had some tips to put more pace on an eastern forehand....without knocking it over the fence. Anything would be nice, thanks

Don't just arm your shots. Make sure you get good trunk rotation and leg drive. Don't use an ultra short takeback because not everyone can smack powerful forehands with short backswings like Agassi. I use a medium to large takeback with a semi-western grip.

KhaosBaseliner
10-21-2007, 02:32 PM
yea... i get alittle truck rotation... i just have trouble doing it consistently

Rickson
10-21-2007, 02:41 PM
yea... i get alittle truck rotation... i just have trouble doing it consistently

Check Roddick's trunk rotation.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V-D32RwsD_w

KhaosBaseliner
10-21-2007, 02:46 PM
yea... i have been working on it, its comming along slowly... i like watching federers stroke because its closer to mine. lol but mine is nowhere near that =P

KhaosBaseliner
10-21-2007, 02:47 PM
oh thanks for the tips btw!

Slazenger
10-21-2007, 04:47 PM

IMO pace is easy to get on an eastern forehand. Grip is such that you can hit through the ball easily.
Controlling the pace is usually the issue for eastern forehand.

However to answer your question, step into your forehand whenever possible and focus on driving through your stroke.

KhaosBaseliner
10-21-2007, 05:10 PM
yea... i always get timid with it because im afraid of hitting it long... i think is what i need to do is step into it and be more confident in my swing... ill try it out and see what happens

Off The Wall
10-21-2007, 08:53 PM
I like opening up my stance and increasing my trunk rotation to return power shots with power. On shorter/not so hard baseline balls, I like to add power by closing down my stance into a neutral one and moving through my forehand stroke.