PDA

View Full Version : terrible during warm ups?

KOtennis
10-21-2007, 04:00 PM
don't know exactly which forum to put this one in.
so i'll put it here.

just wondering how many of you guys warm up TERRIBLY, but play really well when the match starts.

i am one of those guys.

when i warm up before every match, (league matches or just playing sets) i hit all over the place and can't keep any rallies going.
it is very rare that i hit well during warm-ups.

i have tried and tried to warm up hitting well, but i can never do it.

When match starts, i play my level (4.5).

i feel terrible for my opponent because they can't get any rhythms going during the warm ups.

i just think this is kind of funny because my opponents can't gauge me and they always under estimate me.

any comments?

shojun25
10-21-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm the opposite. I usually do exeptional when I'm warming up, but I begin to get pressured during a real game. In the beginning of the game, however, I'm still in that warm up mode, but I lose focus at the end and begin sucking.

I think this belongs to Tennis Tips/Instructions section of the forums.

Nuke
10-21-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm more like KOtennis. During the warmup, my goal is to hit freely and find my range, not to help feed balls to my opponent's strike zone, so I wind up spraying a lot of shots early on. If the guy comes to net, yeah, I'll try to feed him some good practice balls, but the rest of the time I'm more concerned about warming myself up, not getting my opponent ready.

When the match starts, I am much more disciplined.

tbini87
10-21-2007, 05:45 PM
i am not very good during warm ups either. i am swinging away, trying to get loose and ready. not too worried about giving my opponent great rallies or anything. when they come to the net i also give them good balls, and for overheads too. but from the baseline i tend to be inconsistent and not give them too many "warm up" balls. but then again that is why we warm up right? when the match comes around i try to focus on staying consistent and keeping the ball in the court.

ps60
10-23-2007, 07:28 AM
same here !

can't hit any ball right in the first 4-6 games.

fuzz nation
10-23-2007, 07:38 AM
I'm better off if I can get my motor up and running before I get out to warm up before a match or else I'm usually too much of a spaz. Just going out for a quick jog is helpful, even in the parking lot, followed by a quick and easy stretch. For me, it's better than nothing.