PDA

View Full Version : Help: producing topspin with 2hb

shojun25
10-21-2007, 04:34 PM
So I was playing with my friend today, and I noticed that my 2 hand-backhand was fairly flat. I tried switching grip, but that just made me hit the net more often. I tried putting more speed in my swing, but that just made the ball sail out of the court with little topspin added. Then, I tried to have a higher follow through, but that also made the ball hit the net more often - when it made it in, it had little pace on the ball.

I read some threads about this matter, and most said that it is fairly hard to hit a lot of topspin with a 2 hand backhand.

Any suggestions? Comments? Concerns?

10s talk
10-21-2007, 04:42 PM
change the swing trajectory to about 45 degrees

shojun25
10-21-2007, 04:48 PM
change the swing trajectory to about 45 degrees

I tried to have a higher follow through
Same thing right?

10s talk
10-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Same thing right?

It is hard to say without seeing your shots. Your swing could be to vertical ( close to a 90 degree trajectory ) and you get to much spin and lose speed (power). If you swing up and out, it may help.

dacrymn
10-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Change your grip, and bend your knees. If you just change your grip, sure it's going to go straight into the net. Grip the racket much more closed, and then take a bigger step towards the ball and bend down. After that, you can spring up and forward, giving you that topspin. That was exactly my situation a while ago, where my 2 hander was unbelievably flat. But the grip switch helped. A lot.

fuzz nation
10-21-2007, 09:02 PM
I use a 2hbh more than just rarely and I really lose my topspin if I hold on too tightly when I hit the stroke - as if I'm trying too hard to keep the racquet as stable as I can. With two hands on the grip, I'm already more solid than my one-hander, but if I let it get a little more wristy through the hitting zone I can really turn the ball over.

Also when you're grinding your strokes, pay attention to your typical contact point and see if it helps you to catch the ball just a split second earlier or later in your swing. I'll occasionally go out after the ball too much when I can hit a better shot if I wait and hit it only about four to six inches further back where I'm better synchronized.

jmverdugo
10-21-2007, 09:25 PM
try to hit more in front of you, on the vertical trajectory of your racket.