PDA

View Full Version : Two things: Please help. =]

rbowser
10-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Well, my game has been working well latley. Backhand is nice, slice is okay, forehand's good, but the serve sucks.

Just one thing wrong with my serve: THE TOSS
I can get the toss placed well where I want it to, which needs to have a good tossing arm, which means a straight extended arm.
I know when you serve, and toss, your arm needs to be relaxed, but when i extend my arm, it feels tense and it doesn't feel as though its a relaxing toss, it feels tense and not fluid. How do you fix that?

Another thing im curious about is the pronation of the forearm federer has and many other pros have on their forehands.
WHAT EXACTLY IS PRONATION? i've read so many examples of explanations, and people say federer is special because he pronates on his forehand. HOW DO YOU DO THAT?! thanks for the tips guys.

wihamilton
10-21-2007, 06:41 PM
rbowers,

goto a corner in a room w/high ceilings and toss the ball so that, as it rises and falls, it comes very close to each wall (a couple inches) but never actually touches either. this should help you build consistency. also, try and get as little spin on the ball as possible.

RE: federer's forehand, it's special because 1) he uses several hitting arm positions (double bend, straight arm, etc.), and 2) even though he has a relatively conservative grip, he can still hit "like a western." More simply put, he can hit w/a classic wrap finish (ala Sampras), which produces a flatter ball, or w/a windshield wiper (heavier topspin / increased ability to create angles). So his forehand is amazing because of it's versatility.

Uthree
10-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Keep the toss arm slightly bent unless you have reason why you need to keep it straight.