PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the Head Liquid Metal Presige 93 Mid.

VikingSamurai
10-21-2007, 10:21 PM
I played in a local tournament last week, and in the morning on the warm up courts, a guy next to me had one.. I had seen the LM Radicals before, but not the Prestige.. (Don't see many Head frames here for some reason?)

Anyways, I was struck with the paint scheme on it and was interested in how it hit.. I have looked around, but when I do a search I cant find any good threads regarding this frame, who uses it, and what it plays like..

Help out, and let me know if you use one, or have in the past..I am talking about the 93 mid..

harleywilson
10-22-2007, 04:15 AM
I used to use the LM Prestige mid. It is very heavy to swing and has little power. Like most Prestiges it is a great serving racquet. In order to hit the ball deep you must get ready early and hit the small sweetspot. It is made for flat hitters, because of the string pattern. It it hard to generate alot of top spin with it but I think slices are great with this racquet. I switched to my current choice due to the lack of spin from the Prestige.

TheFonz
10-22-2007, 06:07 AM
I used to use the LM Prestige mid. It is very heavy to swing and has little power. Like most Prestiges it is a great serving racquet. In order to hit the ball deep you must get ready early and hit the small sweetspot. It is made for flat hitters, because of the string pattern. It it hard to generate alot of top spin with it but I think slices are great with this racquet. I switched to my current choice due to the lack of spin from the Prestige.

The spin production depends on the person/technique. I can hit loopy topspin all day with my Prestige mid.

jakul
10-22-2007, 07:44 AM
It's the type of racquet that demands alot from you, meaning you have to have solid strokes to appreciate it's full potential. Then you are rewarded with great control, feel, and maneuverability from it.

In D Zone
10-22-2007, 08:21 AM
I picked one up (used )out of curiosity (did not want to spent $$$ for the K90).
FLXPT Prestige Mid is a beautiful racquet - great paint job. Like most Mid it has a smaller sweet spot but the dense string pattern which gives you a solid feel when you hit the ball. Racquet is stiff coupled that with a heavy swing weight makes the racquet a bit more challenging for some to play; but if you are used to or prefer the stiffer and heavier set up (like the K90, N6.1 90) then this is one weapon to consider.
Like most mid - your stroke, footwork and timing needs to be dead on before you can appreciate this racquet; it demands your attention. No shortage of pop on the serve, capable of producing heavy top spin and slice, very solid and stable when called upon to counter any heavy exchanges.

TheFonz
10-22-2007, 09:17 AM
I picked one up (used )out of curiosity (did not want to spent $$$ for the K90).
FLXPT Prestige Mid is a beautiful racquet - great paint job. Like most Mid it has a smaller sweet spot but the dense string pattern which gives you a solid feel when you hit the ball. Racquet is stiff coupled that with a heavy swing weight makes the racquet a bit more challenging for some to play; but if you are used to or prefer the stiffer and heavier set up (like the K90, N6.1 90) then this is one weapon to consider.
Like most mid - your stroke, footwork and timing needs to be dead on before you can appreciate this racquet; it demands your attention. No shortage of pop on the serve, capable of producing heavy top spin and slice, very solid and stable when called upon to counter any heavy exchanges.

agreed ..........

fuzz nation
10-22-2007, 10:34 AM
I'd say that this one is the exception among heavier frames... it's a lot heavier. I got a pair in my search for alternatives to my 12.8 oz. Prostaffs, but the Prestiges are much less headlight so I put a good dose of weight in the handle to get them balanced better for me - they ended up at 13.4 oz. I can only play well with these racquets when I'm really on top of my game and moving well.

If nothing else, they've been very good for developing my timing. Due to the heft, I can't be late to the ball with these, but if I want to hit out with real sluggers, I've got plenty of racquet behind the ball in the Prestige. Although it's stable around the net, too, the head is a little slow for me to play my quickest doubles, so I seem to be gravitating to some flexible sticks in the 12.5 oz. range. Those lighter frames offer me a bit more feel and touch around the net, but still deliver good power with plenty of control at the baseline.

The LM Prestige mid may seem stiff because it's so hefty and it has a dense string pattern, but I've perceived it to be rather flexible in its performance. It can generate very good spin, but again I need to be set up to "whup" across the ball well and I need a good, full stroke to make good power with it. Serving with this racquet is really something - once I started taking a smooth windup with a good leg drive, I could really destroy the ball with a ton of heat or lots of spin and kick. In any case, I really need to swing away for this frame to do my bidding (this means that I'm only comfortable playing wide open with it).

If I were a college player looking to compete up at the 5.0-5.5 level with serious rippers, this racquet would always be in my bag, but I'm a well conditioned 41 year old and I go to net a lot in singles and doubles. Other frames are giving me solid baseline results while still letting me be productive at net (enjoying the Donnay Pro One and the Fischer M Speed 98 these days). This Prestige is a bit of a two edged sword because you have to put in a good deal of work to play well with it, but it has the potential to deliver very good results.

brownyazn
10-22-2007, 10:51 AM
for me with the fxp prestige
i can't serve as hard as i used to with the lm radical

i don't know why though

0d1n
10-22-2007, 11:33 AM
for me with the fxp prestige
i can't serve as hard as i used to with the lm radical

i don't know why though

Less racket head speed...that's why ! Can't understand the relevance of this in a LM Prestige thread though ... :confused:

TheShaun
10-22-2007, 12:01 PM
I played in a local tournament last week, and in the morning on the warm up courts, a guy next to me had one.. I had seen the LM Radicals before, but not the Prestige.. (Don't see many Head frames here for some reason?)

Anyways, I was struck with the paint scheme on it and was interested in how it hit.. I have looked around, but when I do a search I cant find any good threads regarding this frame, who uses it, and what it plays like..

Help out, and let me know if you use one, or have in the past..I am talking about the 93 mid..

i can't tell you about how they play, but i can tell you there are some up f/s in the classified section at what seems to be reasonable prices. if you're curious to try one out...

VikingSamurai
10-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Thanks guys. I am doing a trade with another member, and I just thought it would be a fun stick to have a hit with.. I hae been trying to find a frame that gives me the old feeling of my playing days, but was lighter, and so my search hasnt been all that great. I am using now and do love my AG200's, but for some reason my brain is telling me that I need to go back to basics and looks at heavier smaller head frames that I am used to, and just have some fun with it.. So the Prestige looked like a fun racquet.. I also loved my Asian K-90's, but sold them off, might try and get another at some stage also..

AndrewD
10-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Chris,
The LM Prestige came out when I started on the message board and I do recall there being more threads than you could poke a stick at. You might have found more info if you searched by title alone. I think that pushes the search back further - most of the LM Prestige stuff being in the archives now.

Anyway, I played it for a brief period as a replacement for my Prestige Pro but gave it up due to the feel and swingweight. It was unlike any other Prestige in having an exceptionally high swingweight - well over 330- which made it far less capable up at net (a halmark of the Prestige range). Of course you can volley well with it (you can volley well with anything if your technique is sound) but it lacked the maneouvrability of previous models. The feel was harsher than other versions and lacked the touch you would expect of a Prestige. That isn't a big deal to most people but, if you're a touch player, you'll notice it.On the plus side, it has more power than other Prestige mids, due to the higher swingweight, and is more spin friendly than you might expect of a sub 90sq, 18x20 racquet.

Personally, I think the Flexpoint Prestige Mid is a better looking racquet and a better performer. Price on those is set to drop.

I thought you'd decided on the AG300?

keithchircop
10-22-2007, 02:12 PM
I'd say that this one is the exception among heavier frames... it's a lot heavier. I got a pair in my search for alternatives to my 12.8 oz. Prostaffs, but the Prestiges are much less headlight so I put a good dose of weight in the handle to get them balanced better for me - they ended up at 13.4 oz. I can only play well with these racquets when I'm really on top of my game and moving well.

May I suggest the Prestige Tour 600 (Trisys 300) which is a PC600 with suspension grip. It might interest you as it's 12 pts headlight, has a SW of 311 (12 less than the PC600) and weighs 12.1oz.

fuzz nation
10-22-2007, 02:16 PM
I can honestly say that the new midplus Donnay exhibits the superior feel and control of a mid with some extra forgiveness - while an 85 sq.in. mid has a sweetspot the size of a dime, this one is at least the size of a quarter. As "back to basics" frames go, this one is at least worth looking into.

VikingSamurai
10-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Chris,
The LM Prestige came out when I started on the message board and I do recall there being more threads than you could poke a stick at. You might have found more info if you searched by title alone. I think that pushes the search back further - most of the LM Prestige stuff being in the archives now.

Anyway, I played it for a brief period as a replacement for my Prestige Pro but gave it up due to the feel and swingweight. It was unlike any other Prestige in having an exceptionally high swingweight - well over 330- which made it far less capable up at net (a halmark of the Prestige range). Of course you can volley well with it (you can volley well with anything if your technique is sound) but it lacked the maneouvrability of previous models. The feel was harsher than other versions and lacked the touch you would expect of a Prestige. That isn't a big deal to most people but, if you're a touch player, you'll notice it.On the plus side, it has more power than other Prestige mids, due to the higher swingweight, and is more spin friendly than you might expect of a sub 90sq, 18x20 racquet.

Personally, I think the Flexpoint Prestige Mid is a better looking racquet and a better performer. Price on those is set to drop.

I thought you'd decided on the AG300?

Andrew thanks.. I found with the AG300 it was too light, and was a tad too powerful for my liking, I havn't given up completely on it, and will be keeping one in the collection.. I just found the AG200 stock to be a little more suited to my liking. I also cant seem to get used to the size and the shape of the AG300's head for some reason?.

As for the LM Prestige, I just wanted to get a stick that was relatively newish with an old style feel to mess about with.. I was very much taken with the cosmetic of the frame aswell, so thats why I would like to get and and play around with it..

VikingSamurai
10-22-2007, 03:42 PM
May I suggest the Prestige Tour 600 (Trisys 300) which is a PC600 with suspension grip. It might interest you as it's 12 pts headlight, has a SW of 311 (12 less than the PC600) and weighs 12.1oz.

Thanks keithchircop.. I have just organized a trade for the LM, so I will see how it goes.. I have actually looked at a few PC600's here in Japan, and will see how I go with the LM first.. I have never played with a Head frame before, so I feel like a little kid entering into the big world..

I have always been very brand associated, in that before a few years ago, I had only played with either Puma or Wilson frames.. Never dared to venture out and try anything else.. This year I have tried some Prince frames, Dunlops, also getting my hands on a T-Fight frame, and now wanted to give Head a go.. (yeeeaahhh, that didnt sound good did it?;) )

I have settled on my AG200's as my sticks for now. But I always like to try new things. It doesn' hurt to see whats out there..

VikingSamurai
10-22-2007, 07:31 PM
I can honestly say that the new midplus Donnay exhibits the superior feel and control of a mid with some extra forgiveness - while an 85 sq.in. mid has a sweetspot the size of a dime, this one is at least the size of a quarter. As "back to basics" frames go, this one is at least worth looking into.

Thanks fuzz, but I am only interested in the LM Prestige at the moment mate..

smirker
10-23-2007, 04:32 AM

Check out "the worst racket you ever hit" thread. Plenty of mentions there!

smirker
10-23-2007, 04:34 AM

Shame you are not talking about the same racket. Look at his post again!

galain
10-23-2007, 04:41 AM
Chris

Just in case you ever get the opportunity and you want to stay with old school feel in the Head range - there are often Head Graphite Edge's that come up for auction. It's a smaller head size than the LM, but I think,a much better racquet all up. Easier to move, much more solid and the size difference really isn't an issue. I know you're a collector too - it would be a nice addition to what you have.

fuzz nation
10-23-2007, 07:52 AM
Forgot to mention my string experience with the LMP mid. I tried my favorite 17 ga syn gut in that frame both in the mid 50's and up at 60 or 62 lbs. Loved the soft and manageable feel at first with the looser tension, but then I started really swinging out and needed to get a little more under control, so I settled in on the tighter setup. I think it can work well at lower or higher tensions and if you can afford to experiment, it might be worth a go each way.

VikingSamurai
10-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys.. I dont get too turned off when other people say they dont like a frame.. The thing is, I have never played with any Head frame before, so I dont have a databank to go back on.. Alot of the people that didnt like it, are other Head users that have used other frames. For them, they are able to say if it is a good Head frame or not, but for me, at this point, I just have to go with what my gut says. Who knows, I might like it, might not.. Thats the fun part. Finding out..

counterpunchingrules
10-23-2007, 02:57 PM
The spin production depends on the person/technique. I can hit loopy topspin all day with my Prestige mid.

me too. its all about how you swing/how fundamentally sound you are. im currently playing college tennis, and still using my LM prestige mids

VikingSamurai
10-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Well for me, I would say that I have quite good fundamental strokes with my ohbh being my strength.. I have stated that I suffer from Stefan Edberg forhand syndrome at times, but when on song it is a nice forhand. So people might be able to understand what I mean by that.. I also swing hard, and so this is what has led me back to a heavier frame.. Even with my AG200's leaded up, I am finding that I either just hit long, or I have to take heat off my shots and play with more spin in order to keep the ball in play. And in all honesty it has become quite frustrating. I am a hard hitter, and so when I play a pusher and have to generate my own pace, I have real difficulty in keeping the ball in and staying in points..

Tour 90
10-23-2007, 06:07 PM
I use the mid and it is my favorite racquet I've ever owned. Perfect amount of power from the frame but not too little where you hit short when out of position. I play with 58 lbs cyberflash mains and 60 lbs syn gut x's if that helps at all.

VikingSamurai
10-23-2007, 06:16 PM
See. there is another question. I have always strung around 45lbs. Felt great in the K-90's.. How does this frame do with such a low tension?

quest01
10-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Ive played with both the Prestige 93 and 98 and i would have to say i played much better with the 98. I had trouble hitting a 2 handed backhand with the 93 for some reason.

VikingSamurai
10-23-2007, 07:05 PM
I can understand that...

How do you find them different when comparing them on serve?

Blank
10-23-2007, 08:38 PM

Man, I thought the LM Prestige was out in 2005.

Anyway, the LM Prestige is a superb racquet. I own one. The stiffness is in between the i.prestige and the classic prestige, high swingweight.

Hope that helps

VikingSamurai
10-23-2007, 08:44 PM
umm nup

As I stated earlier in this thread, I have never used any of the other prestiges before, so have no data base to pull from regarding the feel of this frame..

Thanks for helping though..

keithchircop
10-24-2007, 03:02 AM
Thanks guys.. I dont get too turned off when other people say they dont like a frame.

The less people like your frame the better. That means less bidders on the bay :grin:

VikingSamurai
10-24-2007, 03:15 AM
The less people like your frame the better. That means less bidders on the bay :grin:

Ha ha true mate..

I have done alot of reading about the MicroGel Prestige and think that would be better suited to me, but because it wont be out until January, I might see how I go with the LM Prestige mid, and who knows, might want a couple just for keepers..

Might be time to sell up the Aerogels..

kbui
10-24-2007, 06:50 AM
Chris,

Keep me in mind, I have a ton of LM Prestige Mids (new) in 3/8 if you need more!

It's a heavy swingweight but if you prepare early enough, you'll be fine.

It does FLEX like hell, so if you're used to old school "solid" feeling flex, this is a totally different kind of flex (but I like it). It is NOT stiff at all :)

It has nothing to do with control so don't let all they haters fool you, it's a "feel" issue, not a performance issue.

Let us know what you think when you get it!

Also, I usually have them strung at 52 lbs, if you string lower, the balls will fly b/c of the heft of the racquet.

VikingSamurai
10-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Chris,

Keep me in mind, I have a ton of LM Prestige Mids (new) in 3/8 if you need more!

It's a heavy swingweight but if you prepare early enough, you'll be fine.

It does FLEX like hell, so if you're used to old school "solid" feeling flex, this is a totally different kind of flex (but I like it). It is NOT stiff at all :)

It has nothing to do with control so don't let all they haters fool you, it's a "feel" issue, not a performance issue.

Let us know what you think when you get it!

Also, I usually have them strung at 52 lbs, if you string lower, the balls will fly b/c of the heft of the racquet.

Thanks, will keep you in mind.. What are you asking for them, or rather, are you willing to trade for them? Send me an email at: iizukaenglish@hotmail.com

Definately will keep everyone up to date when I get it, and will write a little review on it.. :)

VikingSamurai
10-24-2007, 08:50 PM

Ok, I will take your advice.. But just to see for myself, I will start it off at my usual tension and then go up to your suggested 52.. Its always fun to try new things!