PDA

View Full Version : catching myself waiting for the ball

sapient007
10-22-2007, 07:13 AM
what do you do after the ball leaves your racquet and you've already recovered from your swing motion?? i was playing a slower type of player over the wkd and find myself just waiting in the same spot for the contact of the ball since i have no idea where it was going to go.

Off The Wall
10-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Move to the middle of all possible returns.

timeisonmyside
10-22-2007, 01:36 PM

I agree, you don't want to develop lazy habits.

When he says "move to the middle," it doesn't always mean the middle of the court. It means the middle of the opponent's hitting angle. For example, if you hit the ball down the middle, and your opponent returns it from the center mark, the middle of his hitting angle is right on your center mark. However, if you hit the ball sharply crosscourt to the deuce side, the middle of his return angle is more toward your deuce side. In this situation, you should also square up towards him instead of just squaring toward the net.

Seifersquall1
10-22-2007, 02:41 PM
You should go to the middle and then split step when your opponent makes contact to the ball I guess. I don't do this very often because I'm too lazy. Hopefully I don't develop lazy habits as timeisinmyside posted :mrgreen:

sureshs
10-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Move to the center of the angle of the opponent's shot, or at least try to. That means within a couple of feet of the center line for crosscourt shots, and a couple of feet beyond the center line for DTL (or at least the center). Or just say the center line all the time to keep it simple while learning.

Keep your eye on the opponent's racquet angle as he is about to hit. This will "optimize" your motion so that you are not always trying to move to the center of the angle (the pros don't follow the advice blindly). I can't believe how many times I have repented that I did not watch the opponent's racquet. Specially at lower levels, where fast and deceptive backswings are not the norm, this can give you a major advantage.

smoothtennis
10-23-2007, 11:16 AM
The key thing mentioned here, was that you should 'check' step right as the opponent is striking the ball, so you can change directions instantly. This is one of the key things that make you look quicker on the court, without having to actually increase your speed.

If you play 4.0-4.5, this is absolutely critical or you will be put out of position and late on almost every shot.

IF playing 3.0-3.5, you MUST force yourself into this good habit, because it will bite you later as you play better players.

Slazenger
10-23-2007, 02:20 PM
The key thing mentioned here, was that you should 'check' step right as the opponent is striking the ball, so you can change directions instantly. This is one of the key things that make you look quicker on the court, without having to actually increase your speed.

If you play 4.0-4.5, this is absolutely critical or you will be put out of position and late on almost every shot.

Pretty much.

Geezer Guy
10-24-2007, 08:00 AM

Or, move to the middle of the most probable returns.

Cindysphinx
10-24-2007, 08:09 AM
In addition to the split step, keep your feet moving the entire time during the entire point. At no time should you be flat-footed. I watched Nadal, and the only time he stopped moving his feet during a point was . . . well, he didn't stop moving his feet during a point. He was constantly making little adjustments, prowling about. Very cool.