PDA

View Full Version : Wild Fires Around San Diego...

tbini87
10-22-2007, 06:18 AM
any others in the area being affected? my junior college and all local high schools are shut down. lots of people being evacuated. it is extremely windy which has to be a major problem. this happened a few years ago, and lots of homes were burned...

shojun25
10-22-2007, 07:14 AM
Yeah, my high school is used as an evacuation center. I live in San Marcos btw.

tbini87
10-22-2007, 07:26 AM
o, ok. i go to palomar. i went to san pasqual. how old are you?

shojun25
10-22-2007, 08:24 AM
16. I go to Mission Hills High. Wanna play sometime?

Shahar26
10-22-2007, 09:25 AM
I just saw some pictures on CNN, that looks bad :sad:

todd03blown
10-22-2007, 10:07 AM
hang in there, hope it gets better for you all!!

Fee
10-22-2007, 10:25 AM
It's very bad in ALL of Southern California right now. There are 10 wildfires burning from LA County all the way down to the Mexican border and the winds are over 40 MPH. I grew up there and October has historically been one of the most dangerous months of the year because of the wind.

There's been a joke for years that LA has four seasons - fire, flood, earthquake, drought - but it's not funny when you actually see it happening in such a devastating fashion.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/22/wildfire.ca/index.html

shojun25
10-22-2007, 10:46 AM
It was said that yesterday was the driest in SoCal for 130 years.

Some of my friends have to evacuate from their houses. But the fire migrated away from the San Marcos area (where we are) and went deeper into Escondido.

ilovecarlos
10-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Our best wishes to all of our California friends...stay safe Ms Fee...my best friends mother lives in Canyon Country and evacuated to her other daughters place in Lancaster...We wish you all a large enough rain storm to put out the fires but not big enough to cause flooding and landslides

Fee
10-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks, but I'm fine. Waaaayyyy north of all of that, no wind here today. :)

I know a lot of people down there though, and I am worried about all of them, especially the people in Lake Arrowhead. :(

Oxford
10-22-2007, 03:02 PM
I live in San Diego and currently in the path of the fire.

I took some photos starting at about 7 am until noon. You can see them and read my overview at the link.

LINK (http://www.theoxfordgroup.com/fire/)

Wish us luck. This sucks

ox

Fee
10-22-2007, 05:45 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&om=1&msa=0&msid=117631292961056724014.00043d0e9ca465cefeeed&ll=35.960223,-117.443848&spn=4.827737,8.876953&z=7

A google map of all of the fires. :(

TW CSR
10-22-2007, 06:10 PM
I have family in escondido coming up tonight because of the evacuation. We can see the smoke all the way up the coast in San Luis Obispo. I hope they get this under control soon.

Fee
10-22-2007, 06:35 PM
That might be the smoke from the Sedgewick Fire in Santa Barbara.

Escondido to SLO? That's a long trip under the best of circumstances. Hope your family makes it in okay.

Strawberry
10-22-2007, 06:40 PM
I live in Lake Forest, this sucks. Ash rains down on my neighborhood by the hour, yet, against my regards, we have to go to school tomorrow.

Off The Wall
10-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Here in Escondido, I just found out I should be evacuating. I'll wait for the reverse 911 call. (You get a call to GET OUT!)

OrangeOne
10-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Threads like these kinda put many other threads into perspective.

I can say that that even here in Australia the fires are headline news items, so the thoughts of people all around the world are with you all - we get our fair share of horrid fires here in Aus.

Here's hoping for changes in wind and even rain....

TENNIS_IS_FUN
10-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Southern Cali is literally on fire...the air is hazardous, the sky is red, the wind is owning us.

Fee
10-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Here in Escondido, I just found out I should be evacuating. I'll wait for the reverse 911 call. (You get a call to GET OUT!)

I hope you are packing up your important things. And a week's worth of clothes. Good luck and get back to us when you can.

VAmazona
10-22-2007, 09:21 PM
I am stuck in LA, was away for the weekend. I live in Mira Mesa, and I am antsy to get back home! On my list of things to pack, a tennis ball signed by Pete Sampras and a copy of the SI with him on the cover after his 1st US Open victory, my racquet bag...and I guess my deeds and diploma. Anyone with info chime in!

OrangeOne
10-22-2007, 09:25 PM
I am stuck in LA, was away for the weekend. I live in Mira Mesa, and I am antsy to get back home! On my list of things to pack, a tennis ball signed by Pete Sampras and a copy of the SI with him on the cover after his 1st US Open victory, my racquet bag...and I guess my deeds and diploma. Anyone with info chime in!

Good luck mate, and remember - people matter, stuff doesn't - you only have to check your own footer to be reminded of that! :)

Dedans Penthouse
10-23-2007, 05:31 AM
I have family in escondido coming up tonight because of the evacuation. We can see the smoke all the way up the coast in San Luis Obispo. I hope they get this under control soon.
Condolences and good luck to all 'Left Coast' victims.

One question: looking underneath you moniker I see "super moderator." My question: what is the difference between a "moderator" and a "super moderator?"

Good luck Cali

Topaz
10-23-2007, 05:37 AM
Threads like these kinda put many other threads into perspective.

It certainly does! I hope everyone makes it out okay.

jaggy
10-23-2007, 06:20 AM
I lived and worked all over SD county for 9 years in the 90s, my thoughts are with you all.

Kevin T
10-23-2007, 06:52 AM
I live in Ocean Beach, just north of downtown and am safe for the moment. I'm two blocks from the beach, so if I'm evacuated, the whole city is going up in flames. :( I was flying back from Tahoe Sunday night and the last 30 minutes, from north LA to the SD airport was like flying over lava fields...very spooky. My hospital is taking transfers from east county hospitals/skilled nursing facilities. My thoughts and prayers are with all in the affected areas. Stay safe and God bless.

VAmazona
10-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Morning all. I am going to spend the day in traffic to get back to my house, see if any of my friends and family in the area need help. I felt guilty sleeping last night, knowing there are people working through the night to help others.

shojun25
10-23-2007, 08:00 AM
The brush fires are gone now. There is still red flag warnings, as well as high winds in some areas. However, most of the sky is clear now.

What was weird yesterday was... I took a nap in the afternoon. I woke up and looked outside my window and it looked perfectly fine - the sun shining, a blue sky, etc. When I went to the backyard, there was a sky full of smoke, mostly dark, some fires in the distance. Pretty weird... huh?

tbini87
10-23-2007, 09:50 AM
hey guys. i evacuated escondido(yesterday) and am now with my younger siblings at my grandparents house. i guess the fires in SD are horrible, and tons of houses have burned down. pretty sad. i might be able to go home tonight... i guess the fire was all around my old high school (san pasqual) and burned a lot of houses around that area.

Fee
10-23-2007, 12:34 PM
I am nearly speechless looking at all of this destruction shown on CNN. It's almost unreal. My heart goes out to those 1000+ families that have lost their homes. :(

Tennisplayer92
10-23-2007, 01:27 PM
I live in the rancho penasquitos area literally about 5 miles due south of rancho santa fe. Everyone is saying how horrible and terrifying it is, reality is that sleeping peacefully and waking up at 12:30 in the morning to hear "THIS IS A MANDANTORY EVACUATION" is something you will never forget. My house is safe currently, we have been evacuated but we have come back with our car in the garage ready to leave at anytime. There are blue skies over my head as we speak but my house is 2 streets into the evacuation zone. I just want to express my sympathy for all who lost their homes and our prayers go out to all those in the line of fire. Stay safe everyone. Kids and teenagers, do not rejoice over school closures. Nothing is worth rejoicing over when a fire is literally incinerating the memories of families.

Statistics:
Witch Fire:
164,000 acres burned.
over 500 houses burned.
no civilian lives lost
1% contained (hey come on guys, its something)
Currently threatening everything to the west of it. meaning ramona to the ocean.
Winds seem to be in good enough conditions for fixed wing air craft to help out but nothign is assured. helicopters are working on it.

TLM_01
10-23-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm too far to be directly affected by the fires, but the school board isnt alllowing us to practice...

Tennisplayer92
10-23-2007, 04:50 PM
200,000 acres charred and 1% contained...

tbini87
10-23-2007, 04:56 PM
I live in the rancho penasquitos area literally about 5 miles due south of rancho santa fe. Everyone is saying how horrible and terrifying it is, reality is that sleeping peacefully and waking up at 12:30 in the morning to hear "THIS IS A MANDANTORY EVACUATION" is something you will never forget. My house is safe currently, we have been evacuated but we have come back with our car in the garage ready to leave at anytime. There are blue skies over my head as we speak but my house is 2 streets into the evacuation zone. I just want to express my sympathy for all who lost their homes and our prayers go out to all those in the line of fire. Stay safe everyone. Kids and teenagers, do not rejoice over school closures. Nothing is worth rejoicing over when a fire is literally incinerating the memories of families.

Statistics:
Witch Fire:
164,000 acres burned.
over 500 houses burned.
no civilian lives lost
Currently threatening everything to the west of it. meaning ramona to the ocean.
Winds seem to be in good enough conditions for fixed wing air craft to help out but nothign is assured. helicopters are working on it.

have you been evacuated yet? good luck with everything.

sureshs
10-23-2007, 05:05 PM

Statistics:
Witch Fire:
164,000 acres burned.
over 500 houses burned.
no civilian lives lost

I am a little further south in Mira Mesa. We are also packed and ready to evacuate any time. But looks like the worst is over. It has been a horrible couple of days.

The air quality still sucks, but it did not prevent me from heading out to the courts in our complex an hour ago and practising two hoppers worth of serves. Have this demo of the K95 XL which I had been planning to demo earlier, but it of course never happened.

Great serving stick, BTW :-) It was strung at 55 with Lux in the mains and Reaction in the crosses.

People who saw me probably concluded I was nuts.

I think the worst is over. The winds have reduced. Some fires are still raging, but the prediction is that the winds will move towards the ocean and die. Some evacuees are being asked to return. No school for my son till Monday, and my employer has asked us not to come in Wed either.

sureshs
10-23-2007, 05:07 PM

Where do you play? I am in Mira Mesa too.

tbini87
10-23-2007, 05:14 PM
I am a little further south in Mira Mesa. We are also packed and ready to evacuate any time. But looks like the worst is over. It has been a horrible couple of days.

The air quality still sucks, but it did not prevent me from heading out to the courts in our complex an hour ago and practising two hoppers worth of serves. Have this demo of the K95 XL which I had been planning to demo earlier, but it of course never happened.

Great serving stick, BTW :-) It was strung at 55 with Lux in the mains and Reaction in the crosses.

People who saw me probably concluded I was nuts.

I think the worst is over. The winds have reduced. Some fires are still raging, but the prediction is that the winds will move towards the ocean and die. Some evacuees are being asked to return. No school for my son till Monday, and my employer has asked us not to come in Wed either.

haha. you are crazy. were you wearing a mask while you played? haha. hope it dies down soon and they get a handle on it all! good luck.

Tennisplayer92
10-23-2007, 05:49 PM
i was evacuated today but ti seems pretty safe for now so we're staying home until further notice

sureshs
10-23-2007, 05:52 PM
haha. you are crazy. were you wearing a mask while you played? haha. hope it dies down soon and they get a handle on it all! good luck.

And a grip :-)

My wife wanted me to wear a mask (we have a packet of those surgical masks) but I refused. I just didn't breathe hard :-)

The court was covered with a layer of ash and soot and my yellow practice balls have all turned gray.

You know you are a tennis addict when you practise serves during a wildfire.

But seriously, we are all packed up and all our neighbors are fine. I just feel guilty I am not out distributing blankets or other necessities as many are doing in San Diego.

sureshs
10-23-2007, 05:53 PM
i was evacuated today but ti seems pretty safe for now so we're staying home until further notice

Where do you play?

Fee
10-23-2007, 06:16 PM
Sometimes the best thing you can do is stay home and stay out of the way. If the guilt really gets to you, you can always go through your closet for extra clothes that you no longer want, or go through the pantry for extra canned goods or whatever, then call the Red Cross to see if they need them. Or a local church or something like that. Or even drop off some cookies at the nearest fire station. Or sweep your local public courts. :)

sureshs
10-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Sometimes the best thing you can do is stay home and stay out of the way. If the guilt really gets to you, you can always go through your closet for extra clothes that you no longer want, or go through the pantry for extra canned goods or whatever, then call the Red Cross to see if they need them. Or a local church or something like that. Or even drop off some cookies at the nearest fire station. Or sweep your local public courts. :)

We have cleaned the garage many many times and given all that stuff (books, toys, clothes, racquets) to the Salvation Army every now and then. They have opened many kitchens now for the disaster. So in some way, we have helped.

Besides, I would rather find out what racquet Federer really uses.

Lakoste
10-23-2007, 06:45 PM
I invited my fiancee's cousin's family to live with us for a bit since they had to evacuate. They have a 4 year old boy, so now I finally have someone to play my Wii with!

Tennisplayer92
10-23-2007, 07:59 PM
I play at Westview Highschool

tbini87
10-23-2007, 08:18 PM
with all the young guys around sd on the tennis warehouse forum we should start a league or something haha. i play at palomar cc.

BreakPoint
10-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Besides, I would rather find out what racquet Federer really uses.
Why? How would that change your life in any perceptible way? :confused:

tbini87
10-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Why? How would that change your life in any perceptible way? :confused:

i think, or at least HOPE he was joking! haha. times like this really show how rediculous the things that we chase in life really are! i must admit that i did pack my tennis stuff just like i did pictures and all as if there were irreplaceable haha! pretty pathetic, but i am getting some use out of them now that i don't have school and have courts a minute away!

tbini87
10-23-2007, 11:38 PM
just found a list of houses that have burned down in escondido (ci.escondido.ca.us). lots of developments where friends live have been hit which is scary. seems like there is no way it could happen to them, or to me, but just shows how unpredictable life can be! hope the worst is behind us and that i can get home soon! good luck to others in the same boat.

sureshs
10-24-2007, 08:26 AM
[QUOTE=tbini87;1829591]i think, or at least HOPE he was joking![QUOTE]

Of course I was joking

sportsfan92
10-24-2007, 10:48 AM
i cannot imagine. it is such a helpless feeling to just be watching it all play out.

thoughts and prayers are with you.

Seifersquall1
10-24-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't have school this week cause of the wildfires :D So some of us are happy and sad lol. I play tennis almost everyday after school and I'm begining to miss it. I haven't been outside yet (not even once) this week and it's getting boring.

tbini87
10-24-2007, 11:30 AM
I don't have school this week cause of the wildfires :D So some of us are happy and sad lol. I play tennis almost everyday after school and I'm begining to miss it. I haven't been outside yet (not even once) this week and it's getting boring.

definitely agree with you there!

snoflewis
10-24-2007, 11:58 AM
i go to school at ucsd...and i came back to LA yesterday...im just glad there wasn't any traffic.

the smoke here is a lot better than la jolla at least...and no ashes. my best wishes to the rest of the families and students in the area.

jt2007
10-24-2007, 12:35 PM
hows everyone holding up? alot of people up north are being allowed in, the air is actually some what breatheable as of this morning. hope everyones alright.

jt2007
10-24-2007, 12:41 PM
by north i mean north sd

SoCalDominates
10-24-2007, 12:53 PM
ya im evacuated i go to CCHS.

tbini87
10-24-2007, 01:40 PM
just got back! the fire got pretty close to my house (1/2 mile) but nothing too close got burned. the air quality is not as bad as i thought it would be, but still hazy skies. sounds like tons of houses around my high school and in RB and poway got burned. good luck to any others in danger.

Benjamin007
10-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Major disaster. 5 dead and authorities undertake largest evacuation in state's history.

Ted Ghost Shackley
10-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Much of Del Mar was under mandatory evacuation orders and coastal Del Mar was advised to evacuate Monday.

Here is a mid-afternoon shot when I was in Del Mar this summer:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/Toshiro007/DSC00776.jpg
Here are mid-afternoon shots from the same room Monday (would be sunny if no smoke). La Costa, where the now defunct Acura Classic WTA tournament was held, is 10 miles north:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/Toshiro007/DSC00848.jpg
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/Toshiro007/DSC00862.jpg
Del Mar was a ghost town Monday late afternoon:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/Toshiro007/DSC00857.jpg

San Diego is a great place and I am really impressed with the good will and class the people who live here have shown.

Benjamin007
10-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks for sharing the photo Ted Ghost Shackley. Whats going on with the weather. This is the worst disaster after 2005 hurricane katrina :-(.

Off The Wall
10-24-2007, 09:15 PM
I hope you are packing up your important things. And a week's worth of clothes. Good luck and get back to us when you can.

Thanks Fee,

The television coverage had my neighborhood as an evacuation zone. We got everything organized and ready to go, but the expected reverse 911 call never came. We had fires to the north, south, east, and west of us. Somehow, it blew around us.

We've been in the "ready position" for a couple of days now.

Fee
10-24-2007, 09:46 PM
So, how was that for you, to look around your house and try to decide what is the most important thing to save? What carload of posessions are the most valuable? I can't even begin to imagine what I would do in that situation. Glad to hear that you are okay. :)

ericsson
10-25-2007, 01:19 AM
Just heard the winds are turning and slowing down, how is the situation out there?

jt2007
10-25-2007, 06:55 AM
the winds have really slowed, Monday it was black at my house, Tuesday (for the 10 minutes I was there) it was just a little smokey, by Wednesday at my house (again for the 5 or 10 minutes I was there) it was almost all blue with little smoke

tbini87
10-25-2007, 07:46 AM
some fires are still out of control, while others are on their way out. conditions are getting better in/around san diego, and cities around me are slowly opening up to let residents check out their homes.

jt2007
10-25-2007, 07:53 AM
witch creek fire's up to 20% containment