PDA

View Full Version : Wilson K-Surge?

TripleB
10-22-2007, 09:17 AM
I'm currently playtesting the Fischer M Pro Number One 98 Light, the Boris Becker 11 Light, and the Wilson K-Surge. I had about determined that the Fischer was my favorite of the bunch but I had a chance to play 4 sets of highly competitive doubles yesterday and the Wilson K-Surge really stood out. Very solid at net, lightning quick up there also, excellent topspin and slice, fantastic on serves (quick racquet head speed and tremendous kick), and reasonably solid from the baseline considering it's weight*.

This morning I woke up with some soreness (not really pain) in my shoulders, especially in my serving arm (I serve lefty and play righty). I'm not sure if it was due to the stiffness of the K-Surge or the fact that I played four sets without a break, or because I used four different racquets (3 mentioned above and RDS002 Light) during that time frame.

Has anyone here experienced arm problems with the K-Surge?

Any other racquets you can think of that have similar playing characteristics but a little more flexible?

Thanks.

TripleB

* I was quite shocked that I liked this racquet: it's head heavy (which I've never used before), it's only 10.3 ounces, and it's on the stiff side.

martin
10-22-2007, 10:16 AM
But is the rds002 still your favorite racket?

martin
10-22-2007, 10:33 AM
(I serve lefty and play righty).
Are you serious?
I have never seen that before. I know that Luke Jensen could play and serve left and righthanded.

TripleB
10-22-2007, 11:19 AM

I like the way the K-Surge goes through the ball a little better on kick serves and on groundstrokes, and the fact that the feel with the K-Surge isn't as muted as the RDS002 Light, but those are the only areas I see a true advantage to the K-Surge.

TripleB

TripleB
10-22-2007, 11:22 AM
(I serve lefty and play righty).
Are you serious?
I have never seen that before. I know that Luke Jensen could play and serve left and righthanded.

Yes, I'm serious. I started out that way as a 7 year old so I could serve like I threw a baseball and hit a backhand like I hit a baseball. Then I took about 5 lessons from a lady when I was nine and was told that when I faced better competition I wouldn't have time to switch the racquet to my right hand after I served so I served right handed (HORRIBLY I MIGHT ADD) until I was through high school. I finally got mad one day and started serving left handed again and haven't looked back. My serve isn't that great but at least it's moving faster than 8 miles an hour.

TripleB

TripleB
10-23-2007, 03:53 AM

After starting out my play last night with the K-Surge...YES it does give me arm problems....definately love the RDS002 more...switched over to it after the first set and played very well.

And anyway, my friend Jim uses a Wilson and I don't want to be anything like him :mrgreen: .

TripleB

martin
10-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Thanks TripleB

Now i have to demo again!!
I think the rds002 is a great racket for me especially if it's a great serving-stick.

TripleB
10-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Thanks TripleB

Now i have to demo again!!

DON'T DO IT !!!!!

Every time I think I've found something as great as the RDS002 'Light', I use it more than twice and it just doesn't stack up against the 002.

My last demos before I order a matching pair of the RDS002 are probably going to be: Yonex RDS002 (to compare the others to), Pure Storm '07, LM Radical MP, and either the Volkl DNX9 or the Fischer Magnetic Tour Light.

After I demo that bunch of racquets I'M DONE. At that point I'll either order two of the RDS002 or a matching pair of one of the other three choices.

TripleB

martin
10-23-2007, 09:06 AM
I'm very curious to see a comparison between the new pure storm and the rds002. The specifics seems similar and the new storm is more maneuverable and flexible than the old one.
You already demoed the magnetic tour light right? Why demo again the same racket or was there something wrong with the tension.
BTW Did you ever try the rds003? What did you think of that racket?

TripleB
10-23-2007, 10:09 AM
You already demoed the magnetic tour light right? Why demo again the same racket or was there something wrong with the tension.

BTW Did you ever try the rds003? What did you think of that racket?

I have demoed the Magnetic Tour Light. I'm currently playtesting the Fischer M Pro Number One 98 Light and up until last night I was really liking this racquet. I had planned on demoing the Magnetic Tour Light again to see if there was something I missed the first time around or if I might have made it (by adjust string tension) into a racquet that worked well with my game.

My current plans are here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=163176

I haven't tried the RDS003. After a stint with the Nano Speed RQ7, I've sort of stayed away from the longer racquets. Loved the racquet but my service toss is so low I need the racquet as short as I can get it.

TripleB

757tennis
10-23-2007, 11:46 AM
i played with the ksurge for like 2 days and i never experienced any arm problems but i did find out that it wasnt a very spin friendly racquet, so i switched to the KZen Team... now that racquet is spin friendly!

TripleB
10-24-2007, 05:16 AM
i played with the ksurge for like 2 days and i never experienced any arm problems but i did find out that it wasnt a very spin friendly racquet

For it seems to have a good amount of spin but it really doesn't have a lot of dwell time on the strings for control...with the one exception being on volleys when I hit the sweet spot---awesome feeling on that one shot.

It may have been the fact that I was using 4 different racquets in one day that cause some discomfort.

TripleB

grass_hopper
10-24-2007, 05:37 AM
try boris becker V1, same power and weight but more stable and better flex.

TripleB
10-24-2007, 06:36 AM
try boris becker V1, same power and weight but more stable and better flex.

28mm is a little thick for my taste. In looking at my demo racquets, 21 mm must be my preferred width....3 out of the 4 are 21mm and the RDS002 is 22-23 mm.

Little too late anyway, my demos are being sent out this morning: Yonex RDS002, Babolat Pure Storm '07, Head LM Radical MP, Volkl DNX9.

Thanks for the input though.

TripleB

tkoets
10-24-2007, 07:49 AM
TripleB,

Have you considered the new Yonex RQiS1 or the BB 11?

Tim

TripleB
10-24-2007, 07:57 AM
TripleB,

Have you considered the new Yonex RQiS1 or the BB 11?

Tim

Both are a little heavier than what I'm looking for in a racquet right now. REALLY love the solid feel I'm getting with the Yonex RDS002 and the light weight is just an extra bonus for me (especially at the net). That's why all four of the demos are 11.5 ounces or under (with two of them below 11 ounces).

I'm not sure if anything can beat out the RDS002 but this is the last three racquets I'm going to let try (LM Rad MP, Pure Storm '07, DNX9).

Thanks for the input.

BTW: I am currently playtesting the BB 11 Light but it just doesn't have enough power to compensate for the lightness.

TripleB

martin
10-26-2007, 07:31 AM
TripleB

I was send a demo today of the rds003 and rqs 11. Have you demoed one of these two and otherwise how does the rds002 play compared to the nanospeed rq7.
Which racket has more power, a better serve, more stability etc...etc...

TripleB
10-26-2007, 09:29 AM
TripleB

I was send a demo today of the rds003 and rqs 11. Have you demoed one of these two and otherwise how does the rds002 play compared to the nanospeed rq7.
Which racket has more power, a better serve, more stability etc...etc...

Haven't demoed either of those racquets...got demos coming in today of my own ( RDS002 for the 4th time, Pure Storm '07, LM Radical MP, and DNX9 ).

As far as the Nanospeed RQ7 and the RDS002.....see my two reviews here: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/TRIPB06.html and http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/TRIPB08.html

TripleB