PDA

View Full Version : SereNOT again!

Peter Samprer
11-15-2004, 07:23 PM
serena's taking injury time out 'coz she's down 2-5 second set. she won the first set 6-4 and now that sharapova's leading and winning 4 straight points, serena called for a trainer. looks like an ab problem but who knows, she's just letting sharapova lose her rhythm.

Cobra Tennis
11-15-2004, 07:32 PM
"Pretty strokes are okay, but there's a lot more to tennis than that"~Brad Gilbert.

I know that is someone's sig, but after reading your post it flashed in my head. :)

Peter Samprer
11-15-2004, 07:38 PM
what a surprise, serena is up now 4-0 and had some aces. hmmm... injury time out is working. sharapova's focus flew away, this is becoming a psychological game.

Cobra Tennis
11-15-2004, 07:51 PM
Serena is throwing it away at 3-4........did she get called for a foot fault or was i dreaming?

Peter Samprer
11-15-2004, 07:55 PM
5-4 now. good comeback for sharapova from 0-4. serena's getting affected by her injury and it shows now. she can't serve anymore, she's serving like dementieva.

Metzler
11-15-2004, 08:15 PM
Serena and Roddick cannot accept defeat, so I wonder if the "injuries" are faked or a form of hysteria ?
They are both strange characters who may fool themselves, although it could also be calculated.

Marius_Hancu
11-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Where are you still buying those Air Oscillates? I have 5, started re-soling them.

jjames
11-15-2004, 08:25 PM
amazing sharapova was able to keep her piose and pull it out and only17.

tykrum
11-15-2004, 09:11 PM
Sharapova is seriously the real deal. No one, not even Henin-Hardenne wants to win matches as badly as her. And the best part is that she has the mental fortitude to do it. I was playing tennis, so I didn't see the final, but I'm guess that after Serena let the lead start to slip she just threw it away with the whole injury thing. I'm not saying that she wasn't injured, but she probably just them start getting to her. Your injuries begin to hurt a lot worse if you are losing if you aren't mentally tough enough to block them out. But I am really going to love watching Sharapova really develop into possibly the major force on tour (haha for more reasons than one).

Kobble
11-15-2004, 10:34 PM
It seemed like Serena tried to be gracious at the ceremony. I was expecting something like, "I was playing at only 50% of my typical level, which for those who don't know, works out to 1% of my actual potential." "If I played at my major winning 2%, I would have bageled her." "Oh, and at 3% I would personally retire Federer."

tommytom11
11-15-2004, 10:51 PM
whatever was bothering her started early in the 2nd set. her serve speed dropped down to 105-108 or so from 120 so i believe she had a slight injury. but, that timeout was a dupe all the way. Maria was playing better and taking it to her. she wanted to stop Maria's run and cool her off. more importantly it was to setup the all important excuse for being beaten. if her injury was so bad to her mid section that she couldn't bend her knees or get any rotation in her shoulders etc on the serve, then there is no way she could hit her groundies like she was and move that well. it was a tactical move and it almost worked. her problem is that after all that crap and excuses she makes after losing, and how it is never that the other person played well and won, and "it wasn't me at Wimbledon this year", she needed an out in case she lost. otherwise she would really look bad and have to admit that Maria kicked her butt again. now she can put her usual spin on the match, blame the injury and say how poorly she played because of it. i am not a Serena hater. on the contrary, i think she is an incredible athlete. FWIW i am just tired of this crap.

joe backhand
11-15-2004, 11:35 PM
You whining boys are a joke.

barry
11-16-2004, 03:09 AM
I don't get it, everytime Serena loses she says I was injured or I did not play well. I think the tour would be much better off if she just retired. Most of us are tired of hearing all the whining from her and the ESPN announcers making excuses.

Lindsay and Maria would have been a better match. I don't like watching matches with 100 unforced errors on average with 3 ball ralleys.

D. Nelson
11-16-2004, 03:26 AM
I don't like watching matches with 100 unforced errors on average with 3 ball ralleys.

............geez...........AMEN !!! There were QUITE a few of those kind of matches this time.......... To 'me' --- THAT could be THE biggest thing to shoot ladies tennis in the foot.......

Ronaldo
11-16-2004, 03:54 AM
Those 1st 4 games in the 3rd set show that a focused Serena uninjured would wipe Sharapova off the court. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas, but this year Masha gets the Porsche and Serena gets last years fruitcake.

Anonymous
11-16-2004, 04:03 AM
Serena just looks sloppy out there sometimes, like she's spraying the ball all over the place. When you look at that monstrous racket, its easy to see why, I don't know who could control that thing. Hopefully Serena can get back to her form of 2002 and continue to dominate like she did. A testament to her is taht she is still competing and excelling with injuries and just a bad year of her career, so it shows that she is still great

eagle
11-16-2004, 05:23 AM
Personally, I initially had doubts about her injury. I thought she was feigning it to cool down Maria's surge in the 2nd set.

She won the first 4 games of the 3rd set with unbelievably accurate and hard struck groundstrokes. But Maria also gave her a generous number of gifts. Lots of mental errors.

During the 3rd set, Serena didn't have a serve at all. She even double faulted a number of times. She was just dinking them in. Heck, I probably could have returned a few of those serves. :)

When Maria kept attacking and was on her way to dig herself out of the hole, Serena didn't show her usual self to bail herself out. You'd think at 3-4, she'd protect her lead with all her might and use her usual serve. Nope. Dinks still for serves.

Credit to Maria, she hung in there after losing the first 4 games. She adjusted to a now different Serena, cleaned up her errors, and won the set and match.

A million dollars plus one's pride is a lot to put on the line just to give oneself an out to having been beaten at the biggest tourney of the year outside of the slams. So, I think she really was injured.

I haven't seen any post match comments from her, but I hope she takes her loss graciously. Yes, she wasn't 100% due to the injury, but perhaps the injury was due to the pressure Maria was putting on her that she had to hit harder and faster serves or better groundstrokes. Sometimes trying too much can actually push one to injury.

r,
eagle

kooyah
11-16-2004, 07:40 AM
Those 1st 4 games in the 3rd set show that a focused Serena uninjured would wipe Sharapova off the court.

No, it doesn't. It shows that Serena knows how to use gamesmanship to ruin her opponent's concentration and steal her momentum.

peter
11-16-2004, 11:37 AM
Personally, I initially had doubts about her injury. I thought she was feigning it to cool down Maria's surge in the 2nd set.
I haven't seen any post match comments from her, but I hope she takes her loss graciously. Yes, she wasn't 100% due to the injury, but perhaps the injury was due to the pressure Maria was putting on her that she had to hit harder and faster serves or better groundstrokes. Sometimes trying too much can actually push one to injury.

I bet she was injured already during the Mauresmo match. I saw a clip where Serena hits an overhead smash and then afterwards first looks really happy (she won that ball) and then just seconds after holds her stomach and really looks like she's in pain.