PDA

View Full Version : advise on tennis stringing

north4t
10-22-2007, 01:44 PM
I recently bought a tennis stringing machine and was wondering how you can go about getting people to string for. I am 14 years old and just moved to a different state a month or two ago. I have started to make friends and some of them play tennis. But I'm not sure how to tell people that I string rackets. Can some people give me some advise of how to go about.

Bagumbawalla
10-22-2007, 06:00 PM
It all depends on how you want to go about it.

Here are some ways.

Go to the courts on a regular basis and spread the work that if they leave their racket with you will have it back to them the very next day.

Put up posters letting people where they can drop off their rackets and pick them up.

Go to sports shops and offer to become their stringer. Pick up rackets at end of day, return first thing the next.

Go to tournaments and pass out flyers and cards.

set yourself up in the tennis section of a storts store and work there, say, form one til nine- or whatever hours are convenient.

In every case, I suggest you go that extra bit and do more than expected. Not only change the strings, but also the over-wrap, and scuff guard. Wrap the whole thing in a plastic bag like on TV.

Good luck

GoochMoney
10-22-2007, 06:06 PM
It all depends on how you want to go about it.

Here are some ways.

Go to the courts on a regular basis and spread the work that if they leave their racket with you will have it back to them the very next day.

Put up posters letting people where they can drop off their rackets and pick them up.

Go to sports shops and offer to become their stringer. Pick up rackets at end of day, return first thing the next.

Go to tournaments and pass out flyers and cards.

set yourself up in the tennis section of a storts store and work there, say, form one til nine- or whatever hours are convenient.

In every case, I suggest you go that extra bit and do more than expected. Not only change the strings, but also the over-wrap, and scuff guard. Wrap the whole thing in a plastic bag like on TV.

Good luck

you can also put a listing on craigs list

LanEvo
10-22-2007, 06:09 PM
but remeber u have to charge people for it

north4t
10-28-2007, 09:43 AM
thanks for the info

shojun25
10-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Since your new to stringing racquets, I would not suggest charging people at first because you are still a novice in the idea. In the beginning, you will make a lot of mistakes, which may be hazardous to the racquet you are stringing. I would start your stringing business after 10 racquets or so, atleast until you know the technique in memory.

I have seen my fellow tennis players in my high school get their racquet strung by amateurs in places like Sports Authority and Golf Smith. By just pushing on the very bottom mains, I can tell that there is an inconsistent tension throughout the string bed. Also, I was saw awl marks and misweaves. In one racquet, the stringer missed the last cross, probably because he did not have enough string or he was not paying attention. The point is... read some stringing instructions first before stringing for money and to be consistent in the whole string job.

north4t
10-28-2007, 07:36 PM
my stringing machine came with 8 strings and I have strung 5 or them. I am going to order a reel of cheap string and string the reel on cheap rackets that I have. Once I string all of the string on the reel and the 3 sets that I have left, should I be allright to start stringing for people. I pretty much have the Idea of stringing and I strung a racket in 40 mins. I just feel like I need a little bit more practice before I feel comfortable stringing other peoples rackets. Should I be allright stringing other peoples rackets after I finish the reel.

tbini87
10-28-2007, 10:14 PM
my stringing machine came with 8 strings and I have strung 5 or them. I am going to order a reel of cheap string and string the reel on cheap rackets that I have. Once I string all of the string on the reel and the 3 sets that I have left, should I be allright to start stringing for people. I pretty much have the Idea of stringing and I strung a racket in 40 mins. I just feel like I need a little bit more practice before I feel comfortable stringing other peoples rackets. Should I be allright stringing other peoples rackets after I finish the reel.

that is good. make sure you get plenty of practice, with as many different racquets and strings as possible. you will get to know them better, and being able to tell different characteristics of multis, syn guts, poly, etc. this will be important to know as a stringer. make sure you are doing everything consistently and aren't cutting any corners, using the starting knot and quality tie off knots (double half hitch or parnell knot). use craigs list and put up flyers around tennis courts in your area to try to get some business. i wouldn't expect to get much especially at your young age. but don't let that stop you from trying your best!

north4t
10-29-2007, 02:02 PM
thanks for all of the info. i will try that

jasoncho92
10-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Heres the PERFECT way to do it. "Forget" your racket one day and ask to borrow one of your friends. Keep on mis-hitting at the top of the strings to break them. After they break, just whip out the "i string tennis rackets for 15 dollars you know." It works even better if the places that string around you charge a lot.

theace21
10-29-2007, 06:15 PM
String for some of your buddies. Since you are on the young side, you probably will have some problems getting business from the older crowd. Start with your buddies, give them a bargain price - and the word will spread. Once you get some experience, then you can start charging a more profitable rate...

north4t
10-29-2007, 06:37 PM
My coach can string a racket in 13 mins. and he charges like $20 for basic string and he said that because there aren't that many people that string rackets here. He was telling me just to practice enough until I feel comfortable and then it wouldn't be to hard to get the word out. he said that I would have almost to much business to deal with especially being a freshman in high school and trying to keep my grades up. Do you think that this would be true.

brownyazn
10-31-2007, 11:19 AM
make sure that if you string commercially
you do it perfectly

honestly if a 14 year old told me they string rackets
and offered to do mine
i would rather go to a pro shop and do it
for like 5 dollars more

tbini87
10-31-2007, 12:00 PM
String for some of your buddies. Since you are on the young side, you probably will have some problems getting business from the older crowd. Start with your buddies, give them a bargain price - and the word will spread. Once you get some experience, then you can start charging a more profitable rate...

this is how i started, and still do it. bought a reel of cheap syn gut (gosen og micro, forten sweet, forten nylon) and would string my friend's racquets for 5-10 bucks. it was just enough to cover the strings plus a few bucks on top, but i got a lot of business because it was affordable, and my friends don't mind stringing often for such a great price. this way you also get lots of different frames to do, and the experience and practice you get is what is most important. as you get older (junior, senior in hs) you could be stringing for your whole hs team!

Undrayon
11-01-2007, 04:34 PM
I was in your same spot and now I do string for my team. I would buy alot of string (I bought the cheapest reels I could on this site) and just strung racquets, cut the string out, and started over.

Why would you be unsure of how to tell them you string racquets? Just say "Hi, my name is blank and I'm a racquet stringer. I'm introducing myself to people so that they can try me out and see if they want to send me all their racquets."

Some advice though...know what kind of machine you have, string you have available (if any), and prices (ex. how much they pay if they provide string, or if you have 6 kinds they can choose from how much for each (labor cost + string cost) I had someone ask me one time, not knowing I strung racquets, and I just tried to see what they knew. The kid had to call his dad to see what kind of machine he had.

Honestly though, I'd just practice and then introduce yourself. Don't feel pressure. Just be polite and people will respond (unless they are just jerks). Once you get a couple of people to use you then you will get more by reference.

asknowbuylater
11-01-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm one of two guys who string on my court and I'm a regular so people can trust me with their sticks. The other guy is over 70. I usually talk to most people who play so I get to build a list of potential clients. Make fun of those who never restring. Ewww is that ten years old?

The most important thing to know is that you should concentrate on playing and build a friendship with everyone on court. After you've become a regular, let them know you string for yourself and don't sell as no one will want to restring immediately. Your ability on court helps selling your service. When someone breaks a string, ask them how much it costs for them to restring then make a face of horror and say you strung for a friend for 10 bucks.

Mastermind
11-01-2007, 07:01 PM
make sure that if you string commercially
you do it perfectly

honestly if a 14 year old told me they string rackets
and offered to do mine
i would rather go to a pro shop and do it
for like 5 dollars more

You make a good point.

If I were you, north4t, I would get out the word that I was reliable and care to do things right. That's how I started and that's how the guy that taught me how to string started.