PDA

View Full Version : High Topspin Bounces 2

cukoo
10-22-2007, 03:24 PM
I am pretty consistence on the baseline but I hate it when someone constantly hits high topspin bounces that jumps 8- 10 feet up in the air. So I read this thread, high topspin bounces (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=146008&highlight=high) and people recommend hitting the ball on rise. I use a SW grip and I tried this today and it's definitely easier said than done. Timing, footwork and anticipation needs to be precise.

So can anyone post a video of pros/people hitting a ball on the rise? I just want to have an idea of what it looks like. Is it like a half volley shot but with a full swing?

Thanks

cukoo
10-22-2007, 06:03 PM
anyone have any videos? suggestions?

shwetty[tennis]balls
10-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Agassi in particular would be someone to study. He was amazing at taking balls on the rise. He would actually place himself just inside the baseline a lot to increase his angle potential. Doing this means you'll have to take more balls on the rise, which as you know requires great timing- hitting it a split second earlier and little more snap thru the swing. I'm going to let you find videos of Agassi to watch-though.

Teh_pwnerer
10-22-2007, 06:45 PM
You can try the reverse forehand (nadal FH), it works so well, at least for me, that i always turn from defense to offense when i do that, coz the balle ventually vounces 8-10 ft in the air

Oleg
10-22-2007, 11:31 PM
So can anyone post a video of pros/people hitting a ball on the rise? I just want to have an idea of what it looks like. Is it like a half volley shot but with a full swing?

Thanks

There is no difference in the stroke technique to hit the ball on the rise.

The difference is to get to the bounce in time to prevent the ball from rising above your normal contact point (between stomach and shoulders). The reason the timing is harder to master is because top spin creates more pace after the ball bounces and the ball did not reach the top of the bounce (where the gravity takes over and slows down the ball).

Hitting the ball on the rise is the most effective and easiest to master way to become more aggressive. It is easier to execute than trying to swing faster or hitting closer to lines. Because you are hitting a faster ball you can swing with the same controlled swing but generate more power. Also you will be taking reaction time away from your opponent by returnin the ball a fraction of a second earlier.

At the pro level, hitting the ball on the rise has become a standard rather than a novelty. The best ball strikers (like Agassi) can consistently get to the perfect contact point (stomach high) which requires superior speed, footwork, balance and hand to eye coordination.