PDA

View Full Version : Roddick's backhand...flaws???

VictorS.
11-15-2004, 08:30 PM
Roddick obviously has an amazing forehand and serve. With an exception of his net game, his backhand is probably is most glaring weakness. Compared to other top pros....he doesn't really seem to stroke his backhand...his arms seem very stiff and straight. I wonder how much better roddick could be if he learned to hit a backhand like a safin or agassi. I definitely think he'd have a better chance against federer.

tykrum
11-15-2004, 09:14 PM
If he hit backhands like Safin or Agassi I think that he would have a the same winning record on everyone that Federer has, and he would be talked about as being the next great one. But I think he really has enough confidence in his backhand that it is definitely above average on tour. Possibly not in technique, but above average in effectiveness.

davey25
11-16-2004, 06:05 AM
His backhand is the least strong of the top 10 for sure. Roger, Andre, Llleyton, Marat, Guillermo, Gaston, Henman, Moya, David all have better backhands than him clearly. Saying how he would do with a backhand like Safin or Agassi is a joke because there is no way he has a chance to get it close to that good ever. His forehand is awesome but Roger's is better contrary to what John McEnroe thinks.

Noelle
11-16-2004, 06:37 AM
Can Brad Gilbert really teach a good backhand, anyway?

Maybe Roddick can make up for it with strategy. Win ugly.

davey25
11-16-2004, 06:37 AM
Brad thinks he won ugly but he won nothing in his career. It is amazing that he says Roger sucks when he could only dream of doing half of what Roger has done even if he never wins another match.

VashTheStampede
11-16-2004, 06:56 AM
I've never heard Brad saying that Roger "sucks." Please enlighten us. :roll:

davey25
11-16-2004, 06:58 AM
Sucks may be too strong a word but last year he talked about how Roger was way overhyped and had major holes in his game and had proven nothing in big events.

Free_Martha
11-16-2004, 07:10 AM
davey, your obsession with making up lies about what other people say about your god Federer is getting a tad out of hand. Find something else to do.

SydW
11-16-2004, 01:21 PM
It's not a lie, Brad did say Federer was overhyped and not as good as people think he is in last year Wimbledon. Of course that was before Federer then put on a perfect performance, and win that whole damn thing. Made Brad looked really stupid.

NoBadMojo
11-16-2004, 01:27 PM
the roddick backhand is technically superior to his forehand but obviously far less effective.

Rickson
11-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Roddick makes a fist with his left hand while his right still has his pointer separated from his middle finger. All the other 2hbh pros I've seen separate the pointer on both the left and right hands. Roddick's full left fisted 2hbh seems technically incorrect to me, but then again, I use a 1hbh so will the 2 handers enlighten me?

bobby
11-16-2004, 02:14 PM
His backhand is the least strong of the top 10 for sure. Roger, Andre, Llleyton, Marat, Guillermo, Gaston, Henman, Moya, David all have better backhands than him clearly. Saying how he would do with a backhand like Safin or Agassi is a joke because there is no way he has a chance to get it close to that good ever. His forehand is awesome but Roger's is better contrary to what John McEnroe thinks.

Sorry to nag on details, but the idea of Moya clearly having a better backhand than Roddick! Have you ever seen Moya play?! He runs around to his forehand every chance he gets, and when he does hit a backhand, he either slices it or hits his two-hander very akwardly.

I think that while Roddick's backhand is clearly not as good as Safin's or Agassi's (they have the two best in the game in my opinion), he has improved it greatly in the past year and can now at least rely on it to be consistent.

Rickson
11-16-2004, 02:21 PM
Roddick's bh is definitely better than Moya's, but it has a lot of room for improvement. I also agree that Roddick's backhand is better than in past years, but his straight arms and full left fist make his backhand form extremely ugly and possibly not as effective as it could be.

rafael
11-16-2004, 02:24 PM

Sorry to nag on details, but the idea of Moya clearly having a better backhand than Roddick! Have you ever seen Moya play?! He runs around to his forehand every chance he gets, and when he does hit a backhand, he either slices it or hits his two-hander very akwardly.

I think that while Roddick's backhand is clearly not as good as Safin's or Agassi's (they have the two best in the game in my opinion), he has improved it greatly in the past year and can now at least rely on it to be consistent.

Moya runs around his backhand because he has one of the most destructive forehands in the game, even Agassi occasionally does it. Most of the top ranked spanish players probably patterned there backhand after him. His backhand is much cleaner than Roddick's.

Vlad
11-16-2004, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't say that Moya's backhand is cleaner than Roddicks. Moya makes some errors on that side and I think Roddick is more consistent on his bh.
I think if Moya had a pretty good backhand than he would have far better results on hard courts. Even today Hewitt exploited that side while Moya tried to run it around to hit his fh.

tetsuo10
11-16-2004, 04:48 PM
The Moya Drill - a drill where you are not allowed to hit a backhand.

VictorS.
11-16-2004, 08:36 PM
I'm watching the Roddick-Henman match right now on espn2. And I'm actually surprised at the consistency and accuracy of roddick's backhand. He seems to hit it with good pace and placement....but I can't help but think this guy would be so much more dangerous if he had a more fluid motion on the backhand stroke....it's really a herky-jerky shot.

davey25
11-17-2004, 06:27 AM
Roddicks backhand is not better than Moyas. Moya atleast occasionally hits winners of that side, Roddick never does except when somebody comes to net on weak approach shots like Henman did the other night, in which case anybody in the top 10 could hit them. Safin and Agassi are the only ones with a better backhand than Roddick? What a joke. Federer, Nalbandian, Gaudio, Coria, and Hewitt, at the very least all have much better backhands than him as well.

bobby
11-17-2004, 12:34 PM
Roddicks backhand is not better than Moyas. Moya atleast occasionally hits winners of that side, Roddick never does except when somebody comes to net on weak approach shots like Henman did the other night, in which case anybody in the top 10 could hit them. Safin and Agassi are the only ones with a better backhand than Roddick? What a joke. Federer, Nalbandian, Gaudio, Coria, and Hewitt, at the very least all have much better backhands than him as well.

Henman's approach shots were not weak (of course some were, but I'm talking about the majority) and Roddick had to hit several spectacular running backhand passes. Also, who said that Safin and Agassi are the only ones with a better backhand than Roddick's? I'm suspecting that you are referring to my post; however, I merely mentioned that Roddick's backhand clearly could not be compared to Safin's or Aggasi's because I think that they have the two best backhands in the game. I agree that there are plenty of other players with better backhands than Roddick's. My point in the previous post was mainly that I think that there is another player in the Top 10, Moya, who has a relatively "weak" backhand and relies on his forehand for the majority of his strokes and winners.

ragnaROK
11-17-2004, 01:23 PM
I was watching parts of his match against Henman and he hit some nice backhands. Granted Roddick doesn't have a backhand like Agassi, but he's gettting better at it. There's something about Hewitt's backhand I don't really like. He hits it with his elbows so stiff that he compensates power for accuracy, but I guess that fits his game.

AndyC
11-17-2004, 01:44 PM
Roddick has improved his backhand. Compare it to two years ago and see.. huge difference. It's not a huge weapon though and he's definitely more comfortable hitting cross court than down the line. He still misses down the line shots for winners though at least I can remember him making some now as opposed to when he couldn't buy one for love or money.

Vlad
11-17-2004, 07:10 PM
I am watching Moya - Gaudio right now and Moya's backhand is plain terrible. Roddick's is SO much better at this stage. I mean he is missing every other one, it is really bad.
Roddick made few nice passing shots on that side, while MOya did not make a single one..

VictorS.
11-17-2004, 07:40 PM
I wonder how these guys can get away with such average backhands. Both Moya and Roddick are top 5 players. Obviously Roddick has two incredible weapons in his serve and forehand...which really compensates for any weaknesses. Moya has an equally devastating forehand, but his serve is not as much of a weapon as roddick's is.

perfmode
11-17-2004, 07:43 PM
I wonder how these guys can get away with such average backhands. Both Moya and Roddick are top 5 players. Obviously Roddick has two incredible weapons in his serve and forehand...which really compensates for any weaknesses. Moya has an equally devastating forehand, but his serve is not as much of a weapon as roddick's is.

Moya has great speed, great footwork and MEAN off-forehand. That's how he gets away with it most of the time. If I had his movement and forehand, I wouldn't hit BH's either.

A-Rod6600
11-18-2004, 04:18 AM
But there's another point: the surface. Roddick was born in hard courts and in hard courts you haven't the time to run around your backhand like you have in clay, and that's why moya got used to do it. However talking about roddick it is natural to have a normal backhand if you have a huge forehand and serve. it also has improved a lot, in accuracy and with the backspin infact he did some great passing against henman

davey25
11-18-2004, 05:08 AM
I saw the Roddick-Henman match and Federer, Hewitt, or Safin would all have beaten him on that day as well.