PDA

View Full Version : How many of a racquet to stock up on?

Alafter
10-22-2007, 07:36 PM
If you are settled on a racquet, how many should you stock up on?

Currently I have 2 nblades OS. I think I will be sticking with this one (I wont go look for racquets no more).

How many should I buy to stock up?

I ask this because my coach says racquets do crack from just regular use. He said that even kids crack them from hitting. I am not competitive like them, but I am afraid of cracking racquets...

lilxjohnyy
10-22-2007, 08:21 PM
you should read jo11yrogers post on how much of the same racket you should have.... i cant find it ..

Shashwat
10-22-2007, 08:21 PM
2 is good unless you go on tours playing tournaments or you break strings every match.

BreakPoint
10-22-2007, 08:50 PM
I say stock up on as many as you can get your hands on. ;)

Anyway, that's what I do. :D

I've always regretted not stocking up on the Dunlop Max200G when they discontinued them in 1992. I won't make the same mistake again.

TheShaun
10-22-2007, 09:45 PM

Currently I have 2 nblades OS. I think I will be sticking with this one (I wont go look for racquets no more).

I ask this because my coach says racquets do crack from just regular use. He said that even kids crack them from hitting. I am not competitive like them, but I am afraid of cracking racquets...

Jo11yroger's thread on how many racquets you need...

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=127992

abenguyen
10-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Nat, Nat, Nat, are you really asking? If you are going to get competitive like play lots of tournaments you might wanna get 1 or 2 more but they are way overpriced overthere. i'm trying to convince my parents to let me get a 3rd radical

ps60
10-22-2007, 11:21 PM
i just regret i don't stock up my Adidas Response 2+, the curreent Adidas Response, Tirand, Torrent are disappointing. I don't want to bet on Barricade either.

For rackets, sometimes you find some very good used one. Actually the n90 and K90 are better when they are old, i bet even PS 60 95 is more mellow when old.

AndrewD
10-23-2007, 12:44 AM
Alafter,

I think it depends on how unique the racquet is and how much of a connection you've made with it. If it's a racquet that is reproduced in a somewhat similar iteration on a regular basis (Head Radical, 6.1 Classic) and you really enjoy using it without saying it's the best you've ever hit with then you might be okay with 4-6. If it's a unique frame that you love and couldn't imagine switching from then grab as many as you can get while you can.

I wish I had stocked up on the Prince Precision Mono when I had the chance. If I had I could have saved myself a lot of wasted time and money in trying to find a replacement and would happily be using it today as I still prefer it to any other racquet I know of (and on a par with the Head Prestige Pro).

I do hear that Wilson is releasing an kBlade replacement to the nBlade, so you might be lucky with that.

Alafter
10-23-2007, 04:24 AM
Nat, Nat, Nat, are you really asking? If you are going to get competitive like play lots of tournaments you might wanna get 1 or 2 more but they are way overpriced overthere. i'm trying to convince my parents to let me get a 3rd radical

Laugh Abe you punk! That's my name name you are using! You re supposed to use "Alafter" here, remember?

Oh yeah, you are right about the price. But because they aregonna discontinue wilson in thailand, they have slashed the prices of the remaining wilson here. Even tho it is not as cheap as US, it's still cheap enough for me : /

tfm1973
10-23-2007, 04:28 AM
i'm hardly a tournament player but i like to have at least 4 racquets. one is almost always in the shop getting strung (too lazy to string myself). plus it's fun to have extra racquets to experiment with lead tape or leather grips, etc.

i find i always have 1 racquet that is dead perfect and the rest are just a bit off. i read somewhere that there are companies that you can ship your racquets to and they will match your racquets and make them identical.

anirut
10-23-2007, 04:29 AM
Mate,

If you have the dough, just get 'em -- 2 or 3 more at least. An unplayed racket will stay the same for decades, only the grip (synthetic) will die out.

ofey
11-21-2007, 11:57 PM
4 of any is plenty enough if you play competitively.
3 is if you play loads of "friendlies"
2 if you like the racquet and afraid if one breaks.
1 if you just play for fun.

ionutzakis
11-22-2007, 12:56 AM
I have 11 PD+ (no cortex) and 7 POG LB, I can't tell you how happy I am for stocking them up, and if there's ever another batch of POG LB I'm buying 3 more!

latinking
11-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Once I have a stick that I love, I try to get as much as possible. Wouldn't go over 8 though. That would be to much for me.

abenguyen
11-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Laugh Abe you punk! That's my name name you are using! You re supposed to use "Alafter" here, remember?

Oh yeah, you are right about the price. But because they aregonna discontinue wilson in thailand, they have slashed the prices of the remaining wilson here. Even tho it is not as cheap as US, it's still cheap enough for me : /

my bad my bad! i posted this long time ago i think. well i'm trying to get a third liquidmetal radical before they are gone

Aggro
11-22-2007, 11:44 AM
since i use the pro staff tour 90, and its quite rare over in the u.k i tend to get how many i can. think my record was 8 or 9 i think - now im down to 2 :)

mdjenders
11-22-2007, 11:48 AM
I see that you are using the nblade. One thing to watch out for is that Wilson sometimes substantially tinkers with frame design when the introduce the new model. A frame like the original PS Surge (Pure Drive clone) has changed a ton since its inception; it is an entirely different frame now. If you don't like the balance and weight of the kblades and future models, you will regret not getting more nblades. Besides, the OS is pretty cheap now anyway. If you are truly happy with your frame and have no thoughts of changing, get a couple more and rest easy.

Kirko
11-22-2007, 12:00 PM

if you really like the frame and I mean your sold on it and your just a rec. player at least 4.5 level eg. the experience to determine that this frame is for you. 4 no more than that.

In)SpiRe
11-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Hey guys, I didn't want to make a new thread b/c my question is pretty much the same as the OP's. Im 14 and I have no job(so I have no income unless I sell unneeded racquets) and my parents aren't really fond of buying me racquets due to costs(even with discounts). I've found a racquet that I really enjoy playing with. If you were in my situation, woulds you just stick with having two(and spend extra money on better strings) or try to get 3-4 of the same racquet by buying a couple off **** for less(and play with decent strings)?

blitzmage_89
11-22-2007, 03:46 PM
about 3 will do for a high school varsity team. There's a lot of chance ther'll be new releases of racquets in the near future.

In)SpiRe
11-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Oops

10 characters

Lendl
11-22-2007, 05:04 PM
I just decided to get some K90 Tour rackets and got an insane deal so I got 24 of them. Doubt I'll take them all to the court each time :D

onkystomper
11-22-2007, 07:41 PM
buy a 3rd now, then when they go on sale / clearance buy 3 more new and when these 3 are done you have 3 new ones yay

spiritboy3
11-22-2007, 07:44 PM
i wont keep stocking on unless u always demo-ed up to date racquets a lil difference can make a big deal .

gerikoh
11-22-2007, 07:59 PM
the nblade seems to be very tough for me unlike most of the wlines.

KhaosBaseliner
11-22-2007, 09:12 PM
I just decided to get some K90 Tour rackets and got an insane deal so I got 24 of them. Doubt I'll take them all to the court each time :D
my god man... how good of a deal were they? i wish i had the money to get 24 K90's :)

kinsella
11-22-2007, 09:21 PM
If the racquet is in production, get a third. Once it is out of production, look for used sticks in excellent condition at good prices and buy them until you have 6-8. You only need 3 in a rotation unless you are a massive string breaker. Once they are out of production, you will hate finding the replacement.

My 2 cents.

shojun25
11-22-2007, 09:24 PM
If you believe that you will stay with the nBlade throughout your lifetime, get a third racquet. If you are a string breaker, get a third racquet. If you like to experiment in different strings, get a third racquet. If not, then getting a third racquet is just for show.

Sixpointone
11-24-2007, 09:15 AM
As a related side note, I'd also suggest buying extra Bumper and Grommet sets, that way you'll have them on hand should they be needed.

My model Racquet I use has been discontinued for some time, and I too have an inventory of Bumper and Grommets.

nickb
11-24-2007, 11:07 AM

Why.......?

Lendl
11-24-2007, 11:41 AM
I'll give you three guesses and the first two do not count.

Gforce
11-24-2007, 03:20 PM
I think 3 or 4.
It matters how often u play and if u play tournaments.
If u play tournaments, always have 2 because if u only have 1 and the strings break u are doomed.

BounceHitBounceHit
11-24-2007, 05:20 PM

If you are a serious player, I'd say four identical frames is a minimum. You should match them yourself, or have them matched professionally, especially for balance and SW. Most people can tolerate a couple of grams difference in static weight, but will 'feel' even small differnces in SW. I like to string two frames 'in the middle', ie at my usual, preferred tension(s) and then one frame 2-3 pounds above and the fourth 2-3 pounds below the 'middle'. ;) CC

hyrulemaster
11-24-2007, 05:29 PM
What's the point of having so many? Forget the string breaking so you need a few backups, but racquets don't crack so often that you need to buy 10 to last 5 years you know? When you say "when that racket is done" what's done about it? I know about frames becoming more flexible over times and over many stringings but they rarely break unless you smash em hard, or do they?

What are the specific reasons you guys stock up so heavily on frames?

Katlion
11-24-2007, 05:44 PM

Well, I don't know how often rackets crack from regular use, but for string-wise, get three. Then, if you break one racket, or string, you have two left. It is very unlikely you will break to rackets in one match, but you would be prepared... :)

PBODY99
11-25-2007, 06:07 AM
What event horizon are you considering ? If less than five years, 4 with at least 2 sets of replacement grommets per frame is plenty.
Are you still growing? If you are, your frame needs may change.

hadoken
11-25-2007, 06:28 AM
I've read many threads on this board, and on average people here use frames no more than 5 years old. If you think you will stick with this frame for that time frame, I think 3-5 is pretty good. Or get some used ones on auction to keep in the bag.

I use a 1987 frame and probably have gone through a dozen between breaking them, losing them, not liking certain ones because of poor mfg QC...etc. I never thought I would keep it up, but I think 1/year of use is a good proxy. Had I used that rule of thumb, 20 frames would be about the right number because I would be down to about 8-10.