PDA

View Full Version : My i.Prestige Mid XL review

hyogen
10-22-2007, 09:40 PM
http://www.dochyo.com/prestige%205.JPG
finally got it from Germany auction that we all know seller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the box was pretty beat up and it said I could refuse cuz it could be damaged. The racquet seems fine though. brand new i.prestige MID XL!

first of all let me say that although I rate myself a 3.0-3.5 player, I probably have some skills of 4.0 or above as some people have rated some of my vids. It's just my consistency (which I've been improving greatly) that has kept my win/loss ratio down. I think I'm a lot closer to 3.5 moving up now.

don't think I'm a completely crazy n00b when I review the racquet, cuz although I may not be the best reviewer--I've tested out and actually felt differences between some 20 or so frames that I've demo'ed over the past couple months.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-IP.html <--i.prestige review

here are the specs: I don't know stiffness...

19mm beam
93sq in head
weight unstrung 330g 11.6oz
balance unstrung = 305mm
length 703mm 27 3/4"
stringing 18/20
L6 swing style.

Stiffness....
the Mid was 60
Midplus was 63
Midplus XL was 62

so I guess the Mid XL is probably around 61-62...

so I need to string it up and give a review...but here is my preliminary review.

I've finally settled on a racquet after demoing sooo many racquets...like 15 at least. I have found that even the Yonex RDS 001 and 002 give me tennis elbow (stiffness 65)

I settled on the FXP Prestige Team (57 stiffness) midplus 98sq inch. racquet standard length...It has good feel for slice shots and pretty good volleys. Good groundstrokes and pretty good spin potential. 18x19 string pattern.. I use semi western grip. I can hit pretty good kick serves with it and ok first serves. It does not give me tennis elbow.

Holy crap! I thought the TT warriors which I tried a lot were supposed to be flexible players frames....wrong. 67 flex = bad tennis elbow for me. No wonder -_-

What I think that the i.prestige MID XL will do for me:

more control and better backhands... more reach and better swinging through the ball. I have trouble with that right now for backhands...not hitting solidly through the ball 100% of the time.

Less topspin of course....but more pinpoint accuracy. More flat shots that can't be returned and run down as easily as my topspin shots with the fxp prestige team.

I like the FXP and I kinda feel ball pocketing...but at the same time if I hit the top of my stringbed I think my shots can be out of control sometimes....I think this small 18x20 headsize 93sq will be a lot more solid.

I hopefully LOVE it...and won't be tempted to buy the Microgel Prestige Pro which Michael Chaho has given great big thumbs up for. I'll continue the review once I string and test it! feel free to give me suggestions on how to string it--tension, gauge, string, hybrid? thanks!

hyogen
10-22-2007, 09:41 PM
so I'll continue this later, but I strung it late last night....
Babolat Attraction Power 17--it felt like Sensation to me... very soft multifilament. I strung it at about 57lbs mains, 53lbs crosses.
Here are some pics:
http://www.dochyo.com/prestige%204.JPG
http://www.dochyo.com/prestige%203.JPG
http://www.dochyo.com/prestige%202.JPG
http://www.dochyo.com/prestige.JPG

so keithchircop - you seem to know what styles of play go together with different racquets. I can play lots of topspin with semi-western grip--and i normally do that...

I would like to flatten out my shots a little bit though...go for winners more.

I also like being able to go for the lines (which smaller head sizes seem to ENABLE me a lot).

I also want to have a tremendous serve...but at the same time a very reliable KICK serve for 2nd serve. Have you seen any of my screen shots/video threads?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=163183
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=161875
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=161310

I imagine this tiny 93sq in headsize with tight 18x20 pattern will mean that I can't hit as good 2nd serves.

As for return of serve I think this small head size and extra length will help me hit a very good return (like the Aerogel 200 did for me). I am pretty good at baseball/softball with good hand-eye coordination...

I wonder if I can keep using semi-western grip with this racquet.

hyogen
10-22-2007, 09:42 PM
My initial impressions. I have to sleep soon so I'll continue this later at work ;)

Wow...I could hit some good backhands and forehands with his--especially the 2hander...But VERY FLAT. Could not really get much topspin. when I tried I sometimes would hit the ball up. You really have to take a long and fast swing for the ball to go anywhere.

I think for sure I would like the Mid plus better...bigger sweetspot and better spin potential.

My slices were crap... My volleys weren't that great--I wasn't strong enough to hit backhand overhead smash...

The racquet felt pretty heavy and very long. Still pretty maneuverable though, but not nearly as other racquets. I liked the feel of hitting a good shot with this one...but it was kinda the same with a mid Aerogel 200 which I liked quite a bit. I was able to hit down the lines pretty well with this...but I feel at my level I can hit better for the lines with a bigger sized head.

Serves--wow I could hit some pretty big serves with this.. probably 5mph faster than normal at least. I had trouble hitting kickserve at first, but I got used to it...still not that much kick.

I feel that this racquet is too advanced for me. And it would take a while to re-adjust to the 3/4" extra length.

I think I'll just stick with regular length frames...although this felt really good for backhands.

Comfort: pretty comfortable. I didn't feel any pain or my elbow starting to flare up with tennis elbow at all.

I'll continue this later. Alas...I had tried scratching the black throat part with my finger nail and i thought it felt rubbery but I didn't think it would be the really rubbery one that scrapes off easily....

This is what happened from my clamp while I was stringing it..... :'(
http://www.dochyo.com/rubber%20paint.JPG

keithchircop
10-23-2007, 04:39 AM
lol@reservations

hyogen
10-23-2007, 07:04 AM
;) 10 characterssssss

Pro_Tour_630
10-23-2007, 07:36 AM
won't be tempted to buy the Microgel Prestige Pro which Michael Chaho has given great big thumbs up for. !

In all honesty, the MG prestige Pro will be more suited for you. The iprestige Mid XL is a specialty RARE frame reserved for Ivanisavic. I have a hard time playing with the standard never mind the XL. Anyway not to worry there are few special people that will take it off your hands and you will not lose money when the time comes to get your MG Prestige Pro MP.

hyogen
10-23-2007, 07:43 AM
In all honesty, the MG prestige Pro will be more suited for you. The iprestige Mid XL is a specialty RARE frame reserved for Ivanisavic. I have a hard time playing with the standard never mind the XL. Anyway not to worry there are few special people that will take it off your hands and you will not lose money when the time comes to get your MG Prestige Pro MP.

hmm...i see. I shouldn't have stayed up till 2AM last night stringing it then........ :'( I still have the plastic on the grip...hehe. Oh well--I am still very curious to try it out.

The Prestige Pro won't come in an XL right?

hyogen
10-31-2007, 02:15 PM
Sold it in a 1 day auction...just too demanding for me. Too small of head size for sure--doesn't fit my game.

$95 + $10 shipping. I bought it for $125 including shipping from Germany.

Ross K
10-31-2007, 03:01 PM
The iprestige Mid XL is a specialty RARE frame reserved for Ivanisavic. I have a hard time playing with the standard never mind the XL.

Me too!

I thought this frame (i.prestige standard size mp) was incredibly demanding in terms of finding proper depth, as well as generating spin. A shame because it had some very nice qualities about it too.

hyogen
10-31-2007, 03:34 PM
yeah -- i liked the feel a lot. way too hard for me to use though with semi-western grip and needing topspin. Also- it was mostly hard on my backhand side b/c I have issues timing the hit and hitting the ball solidly on the sweetspot.

fenschlive
11-13-2007, 12:33 PM
just try mine...comfort, control are great...small head size but sweet spot is bigger than my dnx9...
I have great time on services...a lot of flat hard hitting first serves and no double fault event if it was my first time with that frame...
Great improvement on my back backhands too...slice is terrific ...
i strung it with pro supex big ace micro 1.1...great couple...
Easier than the MP i.prestige...more powerfull stick

Shashwat
11-13-2007, 12:51 PM
I thought i wouldn't like the racquet, but i can't wait to get it. I'm getting 4 by friday :D. It is the regular i.Prestige MID though, not the XL.

I probably don't need 4, i might sell or trade a couple if anyone is interested.

jelichek
11-15-2007, 06:01 PM
I have a couple of sticks coming from over there too. How long did yours take. So far, it's been three weeks and counting for mine. Guy says it's 3 to 6 weeks outta Germany.

hyogen
11-15-2007, 11:12 PM
yep it took at LEAST 3 weeks...almost 4. and then it came in a box that was damaged and stuff...and the postal service declared that the contents were possibly damaged and falling apart. I guess I could have screwed him over and gotten my money back...but I didn't :)

The racquet was fine.

Pleepers
11-16-2007, 09:31 AM
I have a couple of sticks coming from over there too. How long did yours take. So far, it's been three weeks and counting for mine. Guy says it's 3 to 6 weeks outta Germany.

Are you talking about the mid XL or the regular mid?

alfa164164
11-16-2007, 10:09 AM
I just got mine in today (MID XL) and it took almost exactly one month.
Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it this weekend.

fenschlive
11-16-2007, 10:27 AM
got my second one today...7 working days...from Germany to France ;)

great stick but string is a crap..;head synth gut already wear out :confused:

El Diablo
11-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Very surprising to see someone who describes inconsistency as his biggest problem trying an extended length 93 inch frame. Throw the TV away, forget what 7.0s play with, and get yourself a standard length oversize racquet.

Pleepers
11-20-2007, 07:26 AM
I just got mine in today (MID XL) and it took almost exactly one month.
Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it this weekend.

Did you get a chance to play with it yet?

noro
05-19-2014, 12:00 PM
I have one, is stiffer than my head prestige classic xl. Feels much modern on the impact, anyway to me is agreat racquet that i use at least 3-4 times per week.

scotus
05-19-2014, 12:08 PM
I have one, is stiffer than my head prestige classic xl. Feels much modern on the impact, anyway to me is agreat racquet that i use at least 3-4 times per week.

Do you realize you are responding to a nearly 7-year-old thread?

noro
05-19-2014, 12:53 PM
Do you realize you are responding to a nearly 7-year-old thread?

yes, i do, i think all the info is good for anyone who is searching for a specific item.