PDA

View Full Version : Parental Embarrassment rating

bb47
11-15-2004, 11:03 PM
my top 5:

1. Williams dad for his endless "racism" remarks
2. Fish Dad for his "Fish support team"
3. Dokic Dad for the number of times he was banned from the venue.
4. Sharapova Dad - so far only 4th but progressing very quickly - potential World Number 1.
5. Dementieva Mum for keeping her daughter at bay

And the coolest mum on tour: Safin's mum - almost never on tour (huge bonus), but coached so many top players.

topspin
11-15-2004, 11:48 PM
Sharapova's dad is one guy that has a real attitude problem on tour. I'm happy to see Maria is handling all the new found fame in a very mature way. For a 17 year old superstar, she is handling all the idiots around her (like some journalists) in a very straight forward and open manner. Impressive.

Williams dad sounds like pusher/phil/bertchel on this board. It's always about racism, lol sure it is...

Dokic's dad takes the cake though; his behaviour is just sad. Jelena has a heart of gold to forgive him after all he put her through.

pound cat
11-16-2004, 03:05 AM
Safin's mum is the coach and constant companion of his sister Dinara, and that may tell a story.

Camilio Pascual
11-16-2004, 03:23 AM
You guys forgot the all-time champ: James Pierce. Insulting and yelling at the OTHER players...in the juniors. Insulting and yelling at the other players' parents and spectators while in the stands.

Anonymous
11-16-2004, 04:10 AM
What has Sharapova's dad done, I'd never heard about him doing anything?

Zverev
11-16-2004, 04:27 AM
Me too, haven't heard anything about Sharapova's dad.
Only read couple of articles, where Bolletieri guys praised him for being most reasonable dad of all.
Never interfere into coaching, gives alot of support,
looking for new things (Landsdorp was his idea), so on.

What has he done?

pound cat
11-16-2004, 04:31 AM
What has Maria's dad done? He's left his homeland and worked menial jobs so his daughter could have a better life. Seems pretty good stuff to me.

bb47
11-16-2004, 05:02 AM
Well, pound cat , nobody takes it all away from him, however it does not guarantee from being an embarrassement , I just hope that he would watch the tape and realise how stupid he looked running around the court punching the air. I hope somebody will tell him that it is damaging for Marias' marketing potential. This is the argument he will sure undestand.
Yes, and thanks for safin's mum correction.

larrhall
11-16-2004, 05:54 AM
It's clear that Lleyton Hewitt and a few of the boys have been holding impromptu parent-training session, teaching them a few of the moves. Yuri's fist-pump maneuver is pretty good...it was a circus atmosphere. Some 'actor' is in the stands leading mass cheers for Serena between games, a million dollars to the winner, money distorted beyond all reasonableness. Let's say these 8 players, all of whom are nicely compensated, compete for five days (!) and the winner gets, say, 350K. 400K? Does Sharapova's Dad belong on the court? Probably not, but in a society where the standard public discourse is Michael Moore and Bill O'Reilly, this is what is.

P.S. What sort of camera does Richard have...looks like he may come up with an interesting documentary. This guy has sure aged a lot.

Rabbit
11-16-2004, 05:56 AM
IMO, a blizzard combined with a hurricane that followed a 70-year drought couldn't damage Sharapova's earning potential. She's 17, she's attractive, and she's a Grand Slam winner and just proved it wasn't a fluke.

If any dad could have damaged earning potential, it would have been Mr. Williams.

Datacipher
11-16-2004, 06:02 AM
Jim Pierce(10)
Mike Agassi(9)

pound cat
11-16-2004, 06:49 AM
On the other hand where would the players be without the parents, silly as they may be to us.

Bertchel Banks
11-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Top "blankshot" Spin in 20 years.