PDA

View Full Version : MG Radical OS Question ( users)

bluegrasser
10-23-2007, 08:12 AM
I used this stick in a doubles practice last week and I really enjoyed playing with it, especially the volley. My question is, the groundies/serve were lacking a little in pop, not enough mass/weight maybe, but i really like the SW. Is there a string tension & string that would better serve me in the power dept. The string that's on now is a 17 g FXP by Head, mid range.

snoopy
10-23-2007, 08:21 AM
I tested the MGOS a while ago. Nice soft feel. It has a huge sweetspot. I was able to get good spin and depth off my groundstrokes but they had no weight to them. I found it very difficult to serve and slice with this frame. This racquet certainly needs some added weight.

Did you ever try the Fischer MSpeed 105? I think the frames are similar, with the Fischer being heavier.

TheJRK
10-23-2007, 08:58 AM
I demo'd both the MG Radical OS and the Pro (100 sq in). I thought I would like the OS better since I use the old Head Ti Radical OS now but I really didn't like it for the same reasons you mentioned. It just felt like I couldn't hit that "heavy" ball that I was used to.

I switched over mid-practice to the Pro and it felt so much better. I little more "heft" since it's slightly head heavier than the OS. Generating spin wasn't a problem and I was actually hitting the ball with a little more depth. Not to mention volleys felt 10x better with the Pro than the OS.

The only thing I didn't like was serving with it but that's probably due to the fact that I needed to get used to the weight of it. It just felt like my service motion was in slow motion.

tennisace23
10-23-2007, 09:24 AM
I have 2 MG OS's and I am experimenting with different strings/tensions in both until I find something I reallly like (that way I can just buy a reel of it). In one, I have Gamma TNT2 17 @ 57. Now, I actually really like this string, but it moves a huge amount, and I don't even use heavy topspin. I plan on trying it as a hybrid at some point...maybe poly mains, tnt crosses. In the other racquet, I just strung it with Zyex at 58lbs. Two things I noticed right off the bat, it doesn't move much (which I like) but it feels much tighter than 58. I'd like to try it again....maybe at 55 (although, the lower tension may cause the strings to move more). I do have slight trouble getting depth with this racquet, that could be fixed with lead tape at the 3 and 9 positions...which I haven't tried. Overall I do love the racquet though, and I'm going to keep experimenting with string/tension until I find the perfect (for me at least) combo

keithchircop
10-23-2007, 12:59 PM
I used this stick in a doubles practice last week and I really enjoyed playing with it, especially the volley. My question is, the groundies/serve were lacking a little in pop, not enough mass/weight maybe, but i really like the SW. Is there a string tension & string that would better serve me in the power dept. The string that's on now is a 17 g FXP by Head, mid range.

Hey bluegrasser,
I tried a friend's MG Rad OS a couple of weeks ago and have to say I liked it MUCH more than I thought I would. It does have a swingweight and flex very similar to the PT600 I use. It's too light for my taste but I would add 0.5oz to the handle by means of leather grip + overgrip anyway. With regards to pop, it's not much more powerful than a Prestige mid, unexpectedly. Well, expectedly if you go by USRSA's power rating. In this case that rating was spot on. So, to increase pop... same solution as for the Prestige: Klip Excellerator 17g or (the new) 18g or Technifibre NRG2 18g.

steebo
10-23-2007, 01:37 PM
I have two of the o/s mg rads, and wasted a lot of string before I found something that feels pretty good, 17 ga Cyber Power mains, 17ga LaserFibre laser tour, crosses strung at 63lbs. I also liked Prince syn w/ dura in mains and crosses, which I never have liked before, but it broke in 3rd set. I now have one racquet with WeissCannon silverstring mains, lasertour crosses, and the other racquet using the lasertour in the mains, silverstring in the crosses. Close, but I like the lasertour mains a little more, but I can tell it will break very quickly. my usual favorite string is Yonex 850 pro, but didn't care for any multi's in these racquets. When using multi's, the racquet always felt cracked. I'll probably go back to Cyber Power, mains. I have noticed no matter what I use, it always starts out just okay, then feels better after a few sets.

Michelangelo
10-23-2007, 01:51 PM
I tested the MGOS a while ago. Nice soft feel. It has a huge sweetspot. I was able to get good spin and depth off my groundstrokes but they had no weight to them. I found it very difficult to serve and slice with this frame. This racquet certainly needs some added weight.
I demoed the Microgel Radical oversize. Basically I pretty much agree with you on everything except the spin. It's one of my favorite stick for spin and I really enjoy using both back- and forehand slice to tease my partner. Anyway I really like the flex. Another thing about this stick is when dampener is not used it tends to vibrate a lot (and sounds so metallic as well).

bluegrasser
10-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the tips gents - as far as a hybrid, that's out...my elbow is hurting big time from a hybrid in the PD when I was using it. The fxp 17g that I have now just makes the racquet feel too crisp and tinny feeling - if that makes any sense. I was thinking a 16g might add a hair more weight & maybe a soft dead string at a low tention. What do you think ? am I nuts :)

keithchircop
10-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the tips gents - as far as a hybrid, that's out...my elbow is hurting big time from a hybrid in the PD when I was using it. The fxp 17g that I have now just makes the racquet feel too crisp and tinny feeling - if that makes any sense. I was thinking a 16g might add a hair more weight & maybe a soft dead string at a low tention. What do you think ? am I nuts :)

You still need more pop. Klip Excellerator 16g?

rvicelli
10-24-2007, 10:14 AM
I currently play with MG MP but weighted similar to the pro version. The weight adds stability and good feel. I think the MP and OS have a less stiff feel. Also the strings have no where the movement as the PRO version. As for string I used X1 but it had too much pop for my liking, so you may try something like that. Played with Gamma Syn Gut 16g last night at 57lbs and REALLY liked it. A very inexpensive string as compared to the X1.

bluegrasser
10-24-2007, 10:27 AM
I currently play with MG MP but weighted similar to the pro version. The weight adds stability and good feel. I think the MP and OS have a less stiff feel. Also the strings have no where the movement as the PRO version. As for string I used X1 but it had too much pop for my liking, so you may try something like that. Played with Gamma Syn Gut 16g last night at 57lbs and REALLY liked it. A very inexpensive string as compared to the X1.

I'm going to string her up with PSGD 16 g at about 57lbs and see how that feels.

gjoc
10-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Anybody tried extending their MG Radical OS at all yet?

It seems like it would be a good candidate for an extra 0.5 inch or so, as far as increasing its swingweight and the weight of its shots.

bubbatex
10-25-2007, 07:09 AM
I'm going to string her up with PSGD 16 g at about 57lbs and see how that feels.

bg - I am demoing the OS right now but I am also looking at the mid. Have you hit with an nBlade 106? Seems the specs are very close to the Rad OS, nBlade seems a little stiffer and sw is higher. SW does not bother me as I feel the Rad is a little light anyway. Silly me, I forgot to get one to demo, but the price is nice now at $90 - with the MG's at $180.

bluegrasser
10-25-2007, 07:16 AM
bg - I am demoing the OS right now but I am also looking at the mid. Have you hit with an nBlade 106? Seems the specs are very close to the Rad OS, nBlade seems a little stiffer and sw is higher. SW does not bother me as I feel the Rad is a little light anyway. Silly me, I forgot to get one to demo, but the price is nice now at $90 - with the MG's at $180.

I think I did last year _ I strung up the rad with PSGD and it hits much better, I really like that string in that stick.

threed
10-25-2007, 08:45 AM
I test it too. Very nice racquet indeed. Much better than flexpoint radical.

It is surprisingly easy to play with it. And i feel it more powerfull than i thought it will be (maybe it's the loose strings).

Just to mention that the grip is runnig very very small. 4 3/8 is smaller than Yonex 4 3/8 and a lot smaller than Babolat's 4 3/8.

bubbatex
10-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Just to mention that the grip is runnig very very small. 4 3/8 is smaller than Yonex 4 3/8 and a lot smaller than Babolat's 4 3/8.

Yes, I thought it felt smaller than my old Prostaff. I have 3/8 on my Prostaff but the Flexipoint Rad Tour demo with 1/2 I have feels about the same size.