PDA

View Full Version : Federer, Federer, Federer

JohnThomas1
11-16-2004, 05:19 AM
I'm not one to get carried away by the latest and greatest and seldom rave, but goodness i enjoyed his match against Gaudio. Tho a little erratic at times he showed amazing talent against a very game opponent. The more he needs his serve the better it usually is, a sign of greatness. From what i seen today he can sure as hell play the net too, sensational reflexes and touch and quite good at wrongfooting. Knows when to come in too. His forehand is quite possibly the updated improved version of Lendl's. Consistency and amazing penetration all built into one, goodness. His backhand seems to be continually improving to me. Even when his slice floats short it has so much spin it is still hard to attack. His drive is amazingly versatile and he can come over balls when most other one handers in history had to slice. That also leads to one of his biggest strengths, his amazing balance and speed. How in god's name he got to one of Gaudio's drops i will never ever know. He also has an incredible presence on the court in that is is so hard to get a ball by him, even of reasonably set up balls. The one other thing i will comment on his his penchant for turning defense into offense before one realises what has happened. He can be at full stretch and still find the center of the strings, punch thru the line and all of a sudden put the attacker on the back foot. I have never seen anyone do this as easily and as often as he. He also seems to get more dtermined as his career goes on, a great sign.

Rant over

davey25
11-16-2004, 06:13 AM
I totally agree JohnThomas. I could not have come up with a more insightful and accurate description of Roger's game if I tried. He rocks!!!!

sliceroni
11-16-2004, 06:24 AM
Great description. He did look more erractic than usual hitting slices into the net but that'll improve w/ more match play. He hit more backhand winners down the line than I've ever seen, bad news for the opposition. His net play reminds me a little of Becker's, comes up w/ a great volley to set up the put-away.

ian mercier
11-16-2004, 06:27 AM
I thought Federer just looked stronger - like he's putting on a little more muscle.

Cynnik
11-17-2004, 02:04 AM
Loved that drop shot overhead. You know it was planned!

Fed looks like he kinda got fatter, not stronger. He looks a little wider than he did a couple months ago. He's still good though.