PDA

View Full Version : PS 6.0 95 lead customization

hyrulemaster
10-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Hey,

I just got my PS 95 today. How do you guys customize yours with lead? I havent hit with it, but a lot of people say its dead in the upper hoop, and they put lead at 3 & 9 i think?

Well could you users out there specify what you do with your lead? and how the racket hits with or without it? I'm not really experienced with lead tape so type slowly...

Thanks a lot.

HeadPrestige
10-23-2007, 02:31 PM
check this thread http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=162608&highlight=customization+thread

lilxjohnyy
10-23-2007, 03:32 PM
im getting mine tmrw

paulfreda
10-23-2007, 05:03 PM
I have some 20 grams added to my handle and it plays like a dream.

tennis_hand
10-23-2007, 05:42 PM
add a small amount of lead to the 2/10 clock will eliminate the dead and powerless upper hoop. and then add small amount of lead to 3/9 to make it stable. this way, u don't need to balance it at the handle. This is the way I did it, with total 4.5 grams. and it made huge difference in power and feel on the upper hoop and stability.

if you stick on a lot of them, u gotta balance it at the handle.

ananda
10-27-2007, 08:59 PM
add a small amount of lead to the 2/10 clock will eliminate the dead and powerless upper hoop. and then add small amount of lead to 3/9 to make it stable. this way, u don't need to balance it at the handle. This is the way I did it, with total 4.5 grams. and it made huge difference in power and feel on the upper hoop and stability.

if you stick on a lot of them, u gotta balance it at the handle.
it seems you put ONE gram at 2,10,3,9 (since you totalled at 4 and a half grams). Could you confirm this?

I would have thought more like 5 gms each.

I have finally got the lead, and am about to customize my ps 95 since the serves are a tad weak.

Another interesting point you raised, if lets say i add a total of 10 grams to the frame, and then add enough to the handle to bring the balance back to the old balance, will that not negate the advantage of the weight on the frame. i.e., won't the sweetspot again move towards throat, and the upper hoop become dead ?

thanks, awaiting answer.

ProStaff Legend
10-27-2007, 09:25 PM
i have 4 grams at the 2/10 and 3 grams at the 3/9 and its even better than it was in stock form

ananda
10-27-2007, 10:03 PM
i have 4 grams at the 2/10 and 3 grams at the 3/9 and its even better than it was in stock form
thanks for the precise details - others have just mentioned length of lead tape, not weight.
i did check out the other thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=162608&highlight=customization+thread) too (this one came up on the search first).

I have (in india) finally managed to locate lead pieces (like a chocolate slab) from a tyre balancing shop (!) and they are 5gms and 10 gms. Nothing less.

What you mention above is close to what I would like to try out. Any suggestions on what I might do, with 5gm pieces. It's a silly question! but I am a little lost here.

p.s. well maybe i could get a cutter of some sort and try cutting those pieces.

paulfreda
10-27-2007, 10:21 PM
You do not always need to use lead tape or strips.
I sometimes use several layers of long [6in] strips of half inch wide black duct tape. I have 3 on each side of my AG300 and it did the trick for making it better able to handle hard volleys.

Small amounts of weight at the right spot can make a BIG difference in feel.

tennis_hand
10-27-2007, 10:38 PM
it seems you put ONE gram at 2,10,3,9 (since you totalled at 4 and a half grams). Could you confirm this?

I would have thought more like 5 gms each.

I have finally got the lead, and am about to customize my ps 95 since the serves are a tad weak.

Another interesting point you raised, if lets say i add a total of 10 grams to the frame, and then add enough to the handle to bring the balance back to the old balance, will that not negate the advantage of the weight on the frame. i.e., won't the sweetspot again move towards throat, and the upper hoop become dead ?

thanks, awaiting answer.

almost right.

but i have 1.5 grams at 2/10 each. and the other 1.5 grams split on 3/9.
I have tried to putting more on there, and the serve got really more powerful.
but guess what? surprisingly I also lost more games. The racket became harder to control and response volley seriously suffered. THe swing weight went up and I got tired arms. so I removed those extra ones and my games have improved although the serve is no longer as fast.

I can't imagine putting 10-20grams of lead onto the hoop. it sounds not much, until you really swing it and feel the increase of SW to almost over 340.

ananda
10-28-2007, 01:11 AM
You do not always need to use lead tape or strips.
I sometimes use several layers of long [6in] strips of half inch wide black duct tape. I have 3 on each side of my AG300 and it did the trick for making it better able to handle hard volleys.

Small amounts of weight at the right spot can make a BIG difference in feel.

yup, i am thinking of putting something other than lead. if its only going to be bits of 1.5 gms. i totally agree with tennis_hand that 5gms here and there would be too much, at least for me... totally tire me out ... i could handle a total of 5 gms (mebbe even 7) on the frame, not more.

someone had suggested coins, and i did put 2 coins (9gm each = 18gm) on the buttcap of my nblade and i found it very usable after that.

thanks for the thick tape idea, will look around for something thin thats about 1.5 gms.

shojun25
10-28-2007, 09:06 AM
I just got my PS 95 today. How do you guys customize yours with lead? I havent hit with it, but a lot of people say its dead in the upper hoop, and they put lead at 3 & 9 i think?
If you look at the Prostaff technology, you will see that the sweet spot is in the bottom half of the racquet. Most tennis players hit it in the top half of the racquet. Most people add lead around the 10-2 o'clock area to raise the sweet spot to their desired place, and it will also make the racquet more head heavy and better for serves.

When I played with the PS 85, it broke twice during my serve at the top of the racquet. After adding with some lead tape (see link HeadPrestige posted), then it didn't break at the top anymore, the string broke in the center more often. Also, beware that the Prostaff is a string breaker.

ananda
10-29-2007, 12:05 AM
tennis_hand, thanks to your feedback i have added a little lead to 3,9 and 2,10. unfortunately, its not 1.5g, its closer to 2.5 thats the smallest i could break. and its not even exactly 2.5 :-(
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/395/dscn4978xu4.jpg
1. Does that make a difference, if the 2 pieces on 3 and 9 are not exactly the same weight -- i mean a tiny difference.

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/5995/dscn4979eb7.jpg
2. If you see the block added on the PWS, its not even between the strings in the center of the frame, widthwise, its on one side. is that an issue ? (apart from the fact that it could fall off, i am going to cover this with black tape)

of course this is a temporary situation, i will hunt in some hardware stores tomorrow and see if they have some 1 gm pieces of something.

this is totalling to a 10 gm addition which may be a bit much for me. i would prefer to keep it to 5, as you have done.

tennis_hand
10-29-2007, 12:50 AM
For the 2nd picture, you'd better put them between the strings. :p the mass center will not be balanced if you don't.

Why don't you stick on some lead tapes found in tennis stores? the tapes will be adhesive to the inside hoop, rather than a spot like yours.

for the weight, you can try to play first before you take some off or add more.

ananda
10-29-2007, 01:23 AM
For the 2nd picture, you'd better put them between the strings. :p the mass center will not be balanced if you don't.

Why don't you stick on some lead tapes found in tennis stores? the tapes will be adhesive to the inside hoop, rather than a spot like yours.

for the weight, you can try to play first before you take some off or add more.

1. (reg second pic) yes, i cut one 5 gm piece length-wise and put it across (in between the strings)

2. In India, no store has even heard of lead tape. Then someone on this forum suggested i try asking tyre/wheel balancers. I went to a dozen in different places, and finally got these pieces.

(For the buttcap of my nblade - 1-2HL -, i actually put two 9gm coins based on someone's suggestion on another thread to make it more HL. That improved the nblade for me).

3. Yes, i will test it out and see. Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

the Town Sherif
10-29-2007, 05:38 AM
there are so many issues with the way you are putting on the lead tape on your pro staff.

1. first of all, it's not evenly balanced on the center of the frame, so the racquet will play differently depending on what side of the racquet you are hitting the ball.

2. you are not using thin films of lead, but instead are using blocks of lead, which will provide less uniformity than thin strips.

3. the lead is asking to fall off, if your racquet hits the ball near the sides or your racquet has a mishit, those pieces of lead will fall off.

Leoboomanu
10-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Advice: go to roofing dept. of hardware stores...
ask for LEAD sheets... i bought a lead sheet 12x12 inches, almost 1mm thick... bought 1/2inch double sided tape(not foam) cut the lead sheet (easy to cut with regular scissors) following the tape and it was done...
200+ grams of 1/2 inch lead strips to last forever...

funny thing was, my friends thought it was leadtape from 3M, the tape brand...

ananda
10-30-2007, 09:24 PM
yesterday when i played with the additional 10 gm of lead, it played and felt wonderful.
then i did a bucket of about 100 consecutive forehands.
after that i found that one of the lead pieces on 3 had fallen off. so i ripped off the 9.

100 balls on bh. then 100 volleys and overheads (which i shank often, being a newbie). the lead on 2 came off, and i had to prise off the 10. so i was back to stock.

LEAD SHEETS: i looked all over for lead sheets but NO LUCK.

so i halved the 5 gms pieces, took off the thick double sided tape, and stuck 2.5 gms of lead with strong adhesive. then put a little tape on top.

played today again (just rallies), and this time it did not come off. not as yet. (no shanking today, no offcenter hits)

with the added weight the PS 95 plays like a dream. i think i have 7 gms in total (5g total on 3,9 and 2.5g total on 2,10).

i will of course continue to look around for lead sheets or tape. thanks to all for inputs on where to add the tape, and the possible alternatives.

garbage
10-30-2007, 09:57 PM
I played with the PS 6.0 95 last night with significantly more weight than I had previously - 6 grams at 3 and 9 and 2 grams at 12. Felt like a swingweight of around the high 330's. Serves were much better and groundstrokes stable, but it felt pretty heavy going into the third set.

ananda
10-30-2007, 10:20 PM
at present i am assuming that if could handle a hundred consecutive balls on FH (from trainer standing at net, so there's v little interval), then 100 BH, then 100 volley etc, then do about 150-200 serves in a row, then i should be fine with the weight.

i also did rallies today and yesterday with trainer hitting hard/heavy at me, and I returning hard. I did not feel the arms tiring, or my being unable to get to the ball or swing around it.
i think that extra weight is giving a very good stable feel, and allowing me to hit through better.

Alafter
10-30-2007, 11:54 PM
I find that death is permanent, even on racquets. So to me if the racquet felt dead in stock form in certain locations, it'll still feel dead no matter how much additional weight i add in any locations :(

tennis_hand
10-31-2007, 12:37 AM
then better try to hit every shot in the center.
because for every racket, it feels dead if you hit the ball near to the frame.

new rackets dampen this effect better with less shock to the arm, but old rackets don't do so well.

ananda
10-31-2007, 01:35 AM
i am not an expert on this, from what i understand a racket as HL as the PS95 has a sweetspot slightly closer to the throat.
(Alafter, You use an nblade which is about 2HL, so that does not apply)
Adding weight to 2,10 moves the sweetspot up a bit (as u surely know), which some may want. If that means that the earlier sweetspot is now dead, that is fine with me.