PDA

View Full Version : Using the wall to practice

dgrave2
10-23-2007, 01:20 PM
At the park i go to with a bunch of tennis courts, there is a hitting wall. what are the benefits of using the wall? I've stopped myself plenty of times from going to practice on the wall when I didn't have a hitting partner because it felt like it was going to be a waste of time. I went the other day and felt like I was hitting pretty solid balls but when I played with a friend the next day my shots were all over the place. So I'm just wondering-- IS there a benefit to the wall? I'm sure there is, but I'm just not seeing it right now.. :confused:

Slazenger
10-23-2007, 01:29 PM
The wall is beneficial if you have good form and know your shots. I'm not explaining this right.

What I mean is, when I practise on the wall, I can tell if a shot I hit would land long on a full court, even though it is coming back to me on the wall. So I don't hit those balls. I treat them as if it went below the net line.
I stop and start again.

The wall really is there to groove your strokes. Pick a spot on the wall and hit with consistent speed and you can hit 100s of groundstrokes in a row. Hit through the ball but don't hit too hard.

Then you can vary by alternating forehands and backhands at a small angle. You can increase the angle so you are running from forehand to backhand and back and forth.

The wall is also amazing to groove volleys and overheads.

All walls are not equal though. There are some really sucky ones that aren't full court and don't have enough space and you end up half-volleying all your shots and not taking full backswings. Don't use those.

Serpententacle
10-23-2007, 01:37 PM
When I was younger I taught myself on a wall, and then got lessons. The wall was a great tool for me. It kept my shots consistent and helped me get into shape.

What ****es me off these days, is there's always these old timers playing doubles at the court where the wall is. There's five other open courts. I don't have the balls to ask them to switch courts... Oh well. They should have more consideration. :confused:

GoochMoney
10-23-2007, 04:37 PM
When I was younger I taught myself on a wall, and then got lessons. The wall was a great tool for me. It kept my shots consistent and helped me get into shape.

What ****es me off these days, is there's always these old timers playing doubles at the court where the wall is. There's five other open courts. I don't have the balls to ask them to switch courts... Oh well. They should have more consideration. :confused:

If the courts are open, don't be shy - ask them to move. If they get ****ed challenge one of them to a match!

10s talk
10-23-2007, 05:26 PM

You need balls to play :-(

Supernatural_Serve
10-23-2007, 05:35 PM
I went the other day and felt like I was hitting pretty solid balls but when I played with a friend the next day my shots were all over the place. So I'm just wondering-- IS there a benefit to the wall? I'm sure there is, but I'm just not seeing it right now.. :confused:You need to place a chalk line (net chord) and draw a rectangle above it in the center of your wall and conciously hit that box.

The wall is a great tool when used effectively.

ewcrider
10-23-2007, 06:39 PM
i think the wall is a great tool. I've never had lessons, so i had to develop my strokes by watching what people better than me do, and then practicing a similar stroke against a wall. I still use the wall when i can because the ball always comes back. This allows for much longer rallies so when playing in a real match i can count on my strokes deep into a point.
i stand about 40 feet away from the wall, which is a little farther than the baseline would be.

Mister G
10-23-2007, 07:15 PM

Just go over and ask politely, say that you need to use the wall.. a little politeness goes a long way... I'm sure they can be reasonable people.

CAM178
10-23-2007, 07:25 PM
The wall is honestly what propelled me up the junior ranks when I first started. Tennis is all about consistency and practice. If you go to a wall, don't fart around. Go and do drills against the wall, i.e. 100 high forehands in a row, 100 low slices, 100 overheads, etc. Sometimes it's not always possible to find someone to hit with, so hit against the wall. I was a bit different, in that I played for at least 2 hrs a day against the wall, but it really helped. If you have cracks or pebbles on the court, leave them there, as they will help you for when you have to play on clay or outside on hard courts that have cracks.

Start off slowly, let yourself warm up, and then get into drills. Finish off serving.

Nothing will take the place of hitting with someone or match play, but like I said: that's not always possible.

Seifersquall1
10-24-2007, 10:05 AM
The wall is for grooving your strokes and being consistent.

dgrave2
10-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I've actually started liking hitting on the wall except the fact that the wall always wins :D

r2473
10-26-2007, 10:37 AM
I beat the wall yesterday. "He" was playing like a pusher, just using my pace and directing my shots back.

In the end, I just hit passing shots around "him" ("he" was a bad mover, but still covered a lot of court).

ohplease
10-26-2007, 10:48 AM
The wall, if you use it right, will remove more inefficiencies from your strokes faster than drilling with anyone except for very, very consistent teaching pros. It's easy to get away with all sort of nonsense when hitting against other people, especially when there's good odds the ball doesn't come back or comes back weak. Not true with the wall.

You'll also get a better and more opportunities to feel what solid controlled contact feels like. What it looks and sounds like. Do it right, and 4 or 5 minutes of solid hitting will leave you tired, and the ball will be surprisingly warm to the touch from the pop.

It's also really easy to use a wall ineffectually, so be careful of that.

furyballs
10-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Every time I play the wall, the wall wins.

Stchamps
10-26-2007, 11:08 AM
I get annoyed with the wall because I put a lot of topspin on my shots, so when they hit the wall they just roll to me.

tbini87
10-26-2007, 02:53 PM
i hit on a wall for the first time today. i am away from home and did not have a hitting partner, and luckily a local park has a wall. it was a lot more fun than i anticipated. it took a few minutes to judge where to stand and how far the ball would come back off the wall. but i did like i was really able to groove my shots, and had to be constantly moving my feet in order to be ready to hit the next ball. only thing i didn't like was that i was getting a lot of knee high balls, which i know is my own fault. it was hard to get the ball up around chest high where i might have to hit some against a real partner. but once i stood a little closer and hit higher on the wall with more topspin i was able to help myself out. seems like a great tool to use, especially when you can't find a partner! i guess i will see if i improved at all tomorrow...

GoochMoney
10-27-2007, 06:50 AM
A good drill for volleys is to stand as close as you can and see how many volleys (BH and FH) you can do without stopping or letting the ball touch the ground. IMO this greatly helps your timing, technique, and footwork for net play...depending on how long you do it you can break some sweat too.

raiden031
10-27-2007, 07:09 AM
I developed all of my strokes using a wall. Volleys are where I think the wall is best suited. What I like about it is that it always returns the same kind of ball, which is great for trying to groove a stroke and make sure your technique is good. Of course it has limitations such as the inability to judge depth and that it doesn't deliver balls with much spin. Therefore the wall becomes less useful as a player advances. Contrary to what alot of people on this board will say about the wall screwing up your timing, I actually play far better if I spend a good half hour warming up against the wall before a match. There's always that adjustment period of getting used to the way your opponent hits the ball, but since everyone hits a different kind of ball anyways, its no different to be used to going against the wall or used to going against the same opponent over and over.

Loco4Tennis
10-27-2007, 07:56 AM
I get annoyed with the wall because I put a lot of topspin on my shots, so when they hit the wall they just roll to me.

i agree here, the wall is good for technique, good ball contact, target direction and proper form on follow through, but if i keep the ball over the net line drawn on it i dont know if it would stay on court

I beat the wall yesterday. "He" was playing like a pusher, just using my pace and directing my shots back.

In the end, I just hit passing shots around "him" ("he" was a bad mover, but still covered a lot of court).

haha, very funny

A good drill for volleys is to stand as close as you can and see how many volleys (BH and FH) you can do without stopping or letting the ball touch the ground. IMO this greatly helps your timing, technique, and footwork for net play...depending on how long you do it you can break some sweat too.

even tought i have done this, i dont like it, i'm sure i looked like a re-re to people walking by and me standing so close to the wall going a mile a minute trying to play catch with the wall

the wall i find can be good for serve-volley practice, once you serve and take your first step or so to the net you'll find yourself in nomans land, where you have to volley or digup the first return, so your transition game gets all the practice

GoochMoney
10-27-2007, 08:13 AM
i agree here, the wall is good for technique, good ball contact, target direction and proper form on follow through, but if i keep the ball over the net line drawn on it i dont know if it would stay on court

haha, very funny

even tought i have done this, i dont like it, i'm sure i looked like a re-re to people walking by and me standing so close to the wall going a mile a minute trying to play catch with the wall

the wall i find can be good for serve-volley practice, once you serve and take your first step or so to the net you'll find yourself in nomans land, where you have to volley or digup the first return, so your transition game gets all the practice

yes - it sure does not make you look cool, but then again for the average person watching a dude hit tennis balls to himself against a wall does not inspire a persona of coolness. go early morning and get your practice in.

Jackie T. Stephens
10-27-2007, 11:30 AM
The wall is good for technique and practicing your shots but "Not Placements" as you said your balls were going all over the place, thats why. The wall is a great tool though.

Slazenger
10-27-2007, 06:50 PM

This is really easy to do up to the 100 repititions. Just keep hitting drop volleys.

Texas21
10-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Im kind of in a rush so I hope this already hasn't been said but, the wall can be a great training for overheads.

Just stand back a ways, and hit over heads, aim them for a few feet away from the backboard, on the ground, and it will hit the ground, go off the backboard, and come back to you with lots of backspin, where you hit another overhead.

Even on days when I don't want to play tennis, I still have fun doing that, see how far back you can get, or see how many you can get in a row, it's fun!