PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Masters Coverage TERRIBLE!

Anonymous
11-16-2004, 04:28 AM
Fed vs. Gaudio, not on, Hewitt vs. Moya on at midnight. It seems like ESPN is trying to relegate tennis to the likes of bass fishing and their outdoors stuff. Even if the match is on late at night in Houston time, put it on prime time the next day. Who wouldn't rather watch Hewitt and Moya than the Outdoor Games or the World Series of Poker or the other stupid shows they put on ESPN2 around 5. Alot of people want to see good tennis, and I think ESPN would definetly benefit from becoming a better provider of it.

Cobra Tennis
11-16-2004, 05:27 AM
It is all captalism. They make more money I would think, by showing other things than tennis. Sad that it happens, and very dissapointed in access to "The Tennis Channel".... hopefully it will become mainstream as did the Golf channel after no one wanted to fork over extra for it.

Dedans Penthouse
11-16-2004, 05:32 AM
ETennisACE7: Unfortunately, I think you can forget about tennis receiving any sort of "straight-up" coverage from ESPN. ESPN it seems, now concerns themselves primarily with shilling on behalf of a select group of athletes; with "who actually won?" somewhat of an afterthought. Turn on Sportscenter nowadays and all too often, what do you get?: Stuart Scott trying to "hang" some lame-assed slang in a pathetic attempt at "street cred" (will someone remind him that he's middle-aged, for cryin' out loud?!) or even worse, the utterly pretentious "stand-up commedian" Linda Cohn gushing "Kobie this!....Lebron that!....Kobie, oh wow!...what a display of courage for Kobie to come straight from his **** trial to drop 30 on the Mavs!.....Lebron...simply amazing!" ESPN now even has a "reality show" (how original!) called "Dream Job," ESPN's "not-so-brilliant" and unoriginal foray into "me too" programming wherein contestants vie for a chance at being "cool" like Stuart Scott :roll:

Why would ESPN put some "game" show like "World Series of Poker" on OVER A SPORTING EVENT SUCH AS PROFESSIONAL TENNIS? Res ips loquitur. Speaking of "World Series of Poker," if they're "world-class," then why do these "world-class" sleezebags all seem to NEED sunglasses in order to play a hand?--did "poker face" go out the window with Chris "Lil' Miss Poker Face" Evert?!. And also ask yourself, why would ESPN have a show called "Dream Job" (talk about flattering yourself!) IN PLACE OF A SPORTING EVENT? ESPN is now all about sucking up to the Tyrell Owen type of a**holes that predominate the sports scene today---there are jerks (in front of and behind the camera) that will conveniently try to sell "unsportmanlike" behavior as "entertainment." ESPN is now about selling shtick while paying passing lip service to the 'essence' of an event. Even with tennis, ESPN's mindset is the same---feature the same select group of players (Andre, J.Cap, Venus, Serena, and Andy, Andy, Andy). Andy Roddick is to ESPN's Patrick McEnroe what Kobie Bryant is to Linda Cohn--shameless shilling imho.

Another example of "mission statement" gone awry: Once upon a time, the letters "MTV" stood for MUSIC TELEVISION. What's on MTV now? A very limited playlist dominated by the same old "celebrity" pimp acts (i.e. unless it's the middle of the night), or some self-aborbed "brat" show featuring miserable self-centered brats whinning about ......... well, whinning. MTV what with its "dumbing down for a buck" now stands for MORON TELEVISION with a little "Growing Up Gotti-esque" crap on the side. my 2cents.

Cobra Tennis
11-16-2004, 05:40 AM
Well said, Dedans, although I do enjoy "Pimp My Ride"... :)

BiGGieStuFF
11-16-2004, 05:43 AM
YOu think coverage is bad. Trying getting tickets to the hewitt moya matchup and sitting through a 3.5 hour rain delay only to watch about 25 mins of tennis to have it cancelled and then getting no compensation from the club for not being able to make the rescheduled event during the day because of work!!!

mach1
11-16-2004, 09:17 AM
I saw Guadio v. Federer after the WTA championship. I kinda like federer's hair shorter

BiGGieStuFF
11-16-2004, 09:23 AM
I saw Guadio v. Federer after the WTA championship. I kinda like federer's hair shorter Federer was hitting some crazy shots. Even though the score was close in the 2nd, Federer was still controlling the points and tempo of the match.

BLiND
11-16-2004, 10:11 AM
its called capitalism... its what you americans love... isn't it ;-)

Brettolius
11-16-2004, 10:24 AM
yep, and you guys love meatpies, fish and chips, and crooked, yellow teeth (j\k)!!

Dedans Penthouse
11-16-2004, 10:31 AM
yep, and you guys love meatpies, fish and chips, and crooked, yellow teeth (j\k)!!

yep, and I love hair pies, a "dish" with whips, and hookers with yellow feet.

Brettolius: amigo, i thought it was "green" teeth :wink:

Max G.
11-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Hehe. For me out on the West coast, it's perfect though - midnight EST is 7:00 Pacific.

Back on the East Coast, I never cared when they showed things, I'd always just tape it myself and watch it later.

Brettolius
11-16-2004, 11:00 AM
well that's the beautiful thing about summer teeth, my man. sum 'er this way, sum 'er that way, sum 'er yellow and sum 'er green, sometimes all in the same mouth. and yes, jaundice footed hooker's are THE only way to go when across the pond. (when in rome...) takes me back to, oh, what was it? "once bitten, twice smitten in britain : "i ordered the green tea, and she had green teeth. peculiar, i thought." a classic take in my mind!!

mach1
11-16-2004, 11:05 AM
Hehe. For me out on the West coast, it's perfect though - midnight EST is 7:00 Pacific.

You mean 9:00 pacific.

Kobble
11-16-2004, 11:57 AM
The worst part is th nose bleed camera angles. What are they thinking?

HookEmJeff
11-16-2004, 11:58 AM
I agree with Tennis Ace, ESPN has not been the best provider of tennis lately, not by any means. They were everywhere in the 90's, but their committment seems to be wavering. It seems to me that they have gone to a lot of canned programming, a la MTV. Everyone knows that you don't watch MTV to watch Music anymore. ESPN is a basketball-football-baseball network, and they know that that is where most of their audience lies. But, they will never build up tennis is they treat it like a red-headed stepchild.
I can already see the next "reality show" on ESPN. The Apprentice, starring Drew Rosenhaus or Scott Boras. Learn how be the next sports agent! It's a shame, too, that ESPN has relegated the Masters --the season ending event to after hours coverage.

Some other improvements ESPN could make
1) Dump all of their commentators except P Mac and Carillo. The women's announcers (Shriver, Fernandez)...are terrible. Get some younger, hipper, better looking non-establishment people in there. You don't HAVE to be a former player to be a tennis announcer. Al Michaels, Kevin Harlan, Joe Buck...they are all the best at what they do and none played a down, quarter or inning of the sports they so eloquently articulate.
2) Own the mid-day matches at noon. There is no way tennis is going to consistently climb into the fold during any part of the eyar when baseball, college or pro football or college or pro basketball are in season. So, why not take advantage of when they're NOT playing? Show more tennis earlier in the day, I say. I don't mind taped matches...at events like TMC Paris or TMC Monte Carlo, but there is absolutely ZERO excuse not to go live while in America, especially at noon, when their is nothing else on but World Series of Poker reruns. The more consistent the schedule is...(I.E. NOON TENNIS EVERYDAY)....the easier.
3) Buy Shot Spot or whatever to improve their telecasts and incorporate more interactive visual and graphic element like USA did at the US Open this year (the mph on outright winner shots like overheads, groundstrokes) and CBS does with the slow motion Swing Cam. I would love to see a "hat cam" on a linesperson getting out of the way of a 148 mph down the t ace. I think they need to really build up how QUICK the game is being played. More net cams, more graphics on what mph the balls are actually hit at, received at. I think a revamp of the statistical displays and what they're showing currently would be nice, even if it meant adding another 10-15 seconds to changeovers to get more in. They're always rushing to come back anyway.
5) Show more off-court moments to get a better feel of personality, or the tournaments themselves. Monday Night Football has "You've been sacked." It would be cool to see Andy Roddick playing a trick or something like that on Marat Safin. The interviews outside of tennis RARELY go off the subject of tennis.

Ok, I'm done. I promised I wouldn't write that many long posts. I lied.

Jeff

Max G.
11-16-2004, 12:08 PM

You mean 9:00 pacific.

D'oh. Yes, that's exactly what I mean... or maybe I mean that 11:00 EST is 8:00 Pacific, because that's when Henman/Roddick is supposed to be on?

...either way, what I meant isn't what I wrote, becaue 7:00 PST is definitely 10:00 EST and not 12:00 EST.

Jayzzz
11-16-2004, 12:10 PM
Noooo, I wanted to see Coria/Safin so badly! This is the first match of Coria's since his shoulder surgury and now that he'll probably get knocked out by Safin I won't get to watch him play. Now they have "NFL's Greatest Moments" on instead, :evil: :evil: At least there will be Roddick/Henman tonight.

BiGGieStuFF
11-16-2004, 12:38 PM
Maybe you'll get to see Roddick or Henmen blast coria away in one of the other round robin matchups. :)

BiGGieStuFF
11-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Anyone watching the Moya-hewitt match on ESPN? Last i saw they split sets and it was 0-1 Moya in the 3rd.

tennisboy87
11-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Hewitt won the match 6-7 6-2 6-4.

BiGGieStuFF
11-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Hewitt won the match 6-7 6-2 6-4Thanks

@wright
11-16-2004, 12:49 PM
I knew 1 set was all Moya could play well. This type of player cannot beat Hewitt unless he is having the match of his life.

Max G.
11-16-2004, 12:54 PM
I knew 1 set was all Moya could play well. This type of player cannot beat Hewitt unless he is having the match of his life.

Not true. Moya matches up pretty well against Hewitt - their current head to head is 5-6 (Hewitt leads by 1, including this match).

Hewitt was just playing way too well today, and Moya was lucky to even get that set.

@wright
11-16-2004, 12:58 PM
Moya has just been pretty gutless as of late, not really grinding out any impressive wins. Now that Hewitt is back to his old form, I wouldn't expect Moya to be able to beat him most of the time. Moya's backhand is solid but weak, and his forehand can be a huge weapon, but it's usually erratic enough for his opponent to get some free points.

BiGGieStuFF
11-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Moya shouldn't even have gotten that 1st set. Hewitt had already had 2 break chances and was up 5-4 0-30 with moya serving Had it not been for the rain delay Hewitt should have won out.

Max G.
11-16-2004, 04:30 PM
Well, "shouldn't" have gotten is hard to say - but Hewitt was clearly the better of the two.

BiGGieStuFF
11-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Well, "shouldn't" have gotten is hard to say - but Hewitt was clearly the better of the two. Yeah it is hard to say but hewitt was rolling and moya definitely look affected by the long rain delay. But part of tennis is focus so yeah he got the 1st set. Wish Moya put up more of a fight though. He just doesn't have enough weapons to win on the hardcourt.

Dedans Penthouse
11-17-2004, 04:40 AM
Moya's backhand is solid but weak....

Charles Dickens wrote: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

Dedans Penthouse wrote: "Rosie O'Donnell was the best of bovines; she was the worst of bovines.

@wright: What gives with that above quote of yours? Talk about coverin' yer bases... :P