PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova should be player of the year

davey25
11-16-2004, 05:07 AM
Although Sharapova will end the year #4 in the year-end rankings, with the other slam champions also having irregular results, with Mauresmo and Davenport reaching no slam finals, and with Sharapova winning Wimbledon and the year-end final, the biggest non-slam event, and beating Serena in the finals of both she should be named WTA and ITF player of the year. Agree?

BiGGieStuFF
11-16-2004, 05:44 AM
You mean she's not??? For women's I don't think there is anyone else that made huge steps forward in her game besides her.

degreefanlindi
11-16-2004, 05:47 AM
Maria has had her best year of her career, that's for sure. I also was impressed by what she accomplished in 2004. However, there is a lot of parity now in women's tennis so it's hard to find the best overall player. Many of the young Russians impressed me and I am not convinced Sharapova is the cream of the crop. Also, you cannot neglect the year Lindsey Davenport have. Despite failing to win slams, she did end the year #1.

davey25
11-16-2004, 05:47 AM
Obviously they havent named the WTA and ITF players of the year yet. It should be Maria though.

BiGGieStuFF
11-16-2004, 05:51 AM
Well if she doesn't get player of the year maybe she can get most improved.

davey25
11-16-2004, 05:54 AM
She should get both! Who would get player of the year if she didnt. If it isnt her it should be Henin. It shouldnt be semi and quarter loser at every event that means anything, Mauresmo or Davneport. Even Myskina is a better choice than one of those two.